Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   K&N oil fliter OR Moblie 1 oil fliter (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/221276-k-n-oil-fliter-moblie-1-oil-fliter.html)

CIVIC X3 07-25-2005 11:30 PM

K&N oil fliter OR Moblie 1 oil fliter

i'm doing my first oil change and wondering which oil fliter i should choose. or is it stupid to waste so much on a fliter that i should just use penzoil or fram.

K&N oil fliter = $12.99
Mobile 1 = $10.99
penzoil = $3.00
fram = $4.00

aznboysrfr 07-26-2005 01:01 AM

I choose Hamp! :D

but out of those, I'd go with Mobil 1 ... if not, then oem honda.

Ellocodetroit 07-26-2005 01:08 AM

I've used the K&N before I liked it. The engine would have no problem revving high in rpm. The oil did get dirtier due to the high flow rate(using Mobil 1 Syn oil). I then switch to a Pureone filter I believe and it sucked. The oil stayed clean longer but I started to hear some knocking and the engine seemed to struggle in the high rpm range( I think I tried both Mobil 1 and royal purple with that filter). I'm currently using a Napa Gold filter(wix I believe makes it). So far I'm happy the engine doesn't struggle as much in the high rpm range and the knocking is gone and the oil stays clean. I'm using Mobil 1 with that filter. My next oil change is due and I'm planning on using napa gld oil filter with Amsoil. Good Luck I'm sure others will have different opinons than me.

Honda_trilogy 07-26-2005 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by CIVIC X3
i'm doing my first oil change and wondering which oil fliter i should choose. or is it stupid to waste so much on a fliter that i should just use penzoil or fram.

K&N oil fliter = $12.99
Mobile 1 = $10.99
penzoil = $3.00
fram = $4.00

First oil change... I would go with a purolator Pure One or Mobile 1 (Pure One is better and cheaper). You want to grab every little spec you can right now which means that the K&N would be one of the worst filters to use right now.

maybe use wix or M1 later

Ceck this out:oil filter tests SAE

Flashlightboy 07-26-2005 12:18 PM

Trilogy,

Huh? K&N one of the worst filters? Are you hitting the crack pipe again?

Your link didn't test the K&N (author admits he'd like to at some point) and page was last updated by him almost 6 years ago.

Civic,

Your thread suggests that you want to use a premium filter and of the two I'd choose whichever you can readily get your hand on or what is on sale.

I personally use the M1 filter because I can find it at most AZs or Pep Boys. Kragen sells K&N and there aren't as many of them in my area.

If you want to spend less but still get a great filter go with the PureOne. If there any naysayers who want to bag on this filter knock yourselves out. It's good and does more than an adequate job.

Honda_trilogy 07-26-2005 12:27 PM

ahhh, its flashlightboy! :lol:

Dude! K&N is for flow not protection! Jump in some water flamer! :giggle:

Flashlightboy 07-26-2005 02:26 PM

Honda,

Yes, the K&N flows more than other filters but to say there isn't protection is well, uh, just plain wrong.

In the other oil thread (Can I go to thinner oil?) you advised that it's ok to go with 30w oil but thicker oils are harder to pump through the car agreed? In that case a greater flowing filter would be more desireable instead of the high filtering capability of the PureOne.

It's that old argument of flow vs. filtering and I don't think I've heard of an oil related problem from using the K&N filter or that engine longevity or performance has been compromised.

Don't dis the power of Flashlightboy. I'll put bad mojo on you. Oh wait, you've already got that in Pittsburgh with the Pirates, Penguins and Steelers. I'll save my mojo for another time. jk!

Honda_trilogy 07-26-2005 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flashlightboy
Honda,

Yes, the K&N flows more than other filters but to say there isn't protection is well, uh, just plain wrong.

I never said K&N had 0 protection. :giggle: For a first drain; K&N doesn't offer the protection most prefer.

In the other oil thread (Can I go to thinner oil?) you advised that it's ok to go with 30w oil but thicker oils are harder to pump through the car agreed? In that case a greater flowing filter would be more desireable instead of the high filtering capability of the PureOne.

Depends on your needs. Thicker oils will offer better protection in the heat no matter what filtration you're using.

A filter with better filtration will catch all the little metal flakes that newer cars have. So why would you use a high flow filter and risk that shit being cycled through you engine?

I don't think I've heard of an oil related problem from using the K&N filter or that engine longevity or performance has been compromised.

Actually, everybody knows that longevity is compromised when using all K&N products, but the performance gains far out ways the cons for many of us.

Don't dis the power of Flashlightboy. I'll put bad mojo on you. Oh wait, you've already got that in Pittsburgh with the Pirates, Penguins and Steelers. I'll save my mojo for another time. jk

The Steelers will be holding their 5th lombardi and the Penns will have their 3rd stanley cup this time next year. :rockon:

The Pirates... well it looks like they will always suck! :_doh:

EastBayStuntN 07-26-2005 04:27 PM

fram is good enough.

ive used fram, mobil 1, boucsh, and OEM... all worked perfectly fine. but it makes me sleep better when i use OEM filters.

CIVIC X3 07-26-2005 07:02 PM

so i should go and get some honda fliter for the first and moblie 1 after that?

VTEC01EX 07-27-2005 01:11 AM

The current Honda filter is built by FRAM, so if you do that, go get a FRAM instead.

Or you could just go get a Purolator PremiumPlus (the one cheaper than the PureONE). Good flow AND good filtration, good construction, and reasonably priced. I'll be replacing my PureONE with one of these at my next change.

jttegx 07-27-2005 02:48 AM

so i should go and get some honda fliter for the first and moblie 1 after that?

doesnt matter. up to you. but i do believe in changing the motor oil with honda oil first before using any other.
as for filter goes, i dont see why not. run the honda oil with a honda filter ;)

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC01EX
I'll be replacing my PureONE with one of these at my next change.

I think that I will be doing the same thing. Especially since my next drains will be during cooler weather.

CIVIC X3 07-27-2005 01:17 PM

hmm...interestin...everyone have there own diff. ways of thinkin...i think i'm going for the moblie 1 and moblie 1 fliter...thnx for all the input tho!

cambo 07-27-2005 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Honda_trilogy
I think that I will be doing the same thing. Especially since my next drains will be during cooler weather.

Have you seen or heard any reviews on the new STP filters (e-core)?

They're made by Champ labs, and from what i hear, as long as you don't go for extended OCIs, they're a good value. I change my oil 3-5k on dino.

I've been reading mixed reviews on them, but it seems most of the bashing is on the design concept rather than real life experiences with them.

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 01:50 PM

hmm...interestin...everyone have there own diff. ways of thinkin...i think i'm going for the moblie 1 and moblie 1 fliter...thnx for all the input tho!

you can't go wrong with that.

Bires 07-27-2005 06:48 PM

Honda OEM filters are $5+ship at http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html

I switched back to them from Moble1 filters, and my oil stays gold all the way to 4k with both, so I save the $5 per change.

Flashlightboy 07-27-2005 07:17 PM

Bires,

If your oil looks like new at 4k then there's something wrong. It shouldn't look that way after that many miles.

Without writing a missive, oil should change color as it removes harmful products and cooties and transports them to the filter. This isn't a case where the oil is dark and after going into the magical OEM filter it goes back to gold; something is amiss but that doesn't also mean that dark oil isn't doing its job properly either.

What kind of oil are you using?

Honda_trilogy 07-28-2005 11:28 AM

I just put a K&N oil filter in my VTX1800 last night. I figured that after 10,000 miles it is sufficiently broken in. I might have the oil tested after 5,000 miles just to see what's going on with that filter in place.

CIVIC X3 07-28-2005 08:48 PM

damn how many miles can the K&N fliter take? i tink i'm still going with the moblie 1

Silver02EX 07-30-2005 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC01EX
The current Honda filter is built by FRAM, so if you do that, go get a FRAM instead.

Or you could just go get a Purolator PremiumPlus (the one cheaper than the PureONE). Good flow AND good filtration, good construction, and reasonably priced. I'll be replacing my PureONE with one of these at my next change.

Fram is not the only manufacture for OEM Honda filters. "Filtech" is the other manufacture for the OEM filters (non S2000 filters), which is by far much better quality. Part number 15400-PLM-A01. The Fram ones are A02. I bought 10 Filtech filters from Sunnyside Acura, they have an auction listing on E-bay. Just type in "Filtech" in the search.

To the Original poster. I would not pick either, I would go with a OEM Honda (Filtech) for $5 each.

CIVIC X3 07-30-2005 03:07 PM

what's wrong with moblie 1?

Silver02EX 07-31-2005 12:24 AM

what's wrong with moblie 1?

Nothing is wrong with Mobil 1, i think they are great filters, but for half the price i can get a great quality OEM filter. Not sure if you know but Pennzoil is just another rebadge Fram filter.

cambo 07-31-2005 12:36 AM

I'd go for Purolator PureOne filters.

CIVIC X3 07-31-2005 03:37 AM

so i guess its moblie 1 oil w/ oem honda filter.

PlasmaGT 07-31-2005 03:42 PM

I've used Honda, PureOne, Mobil 1, and K&N filters. I have had the best results with K&N, and have been using them since around 20k.

CIVIC X3 08-01-2005 03:46 AM

i was wondering how much is people payin for the oem honda filter and do we really need to change the oil drain washer when we do the oil change?

shroomster 08-07-2005 07:57 PM

maybe someone is missing a point here?

long as you change your oil and filter no harm shall come to thee or thy rice boiler :D besides just break it in with what info you've gathered and don't let everyone make up YOUR Mind this is a forum hence a loose translation for discussion hence opinions and like we all know about our *******s and the similarities between the two....

shroomster 08-07-2005 08:01 PM

oh hey

its reccommended to change the washer BUT if you can clean it up and there is no damage to it (chipping, flattened out, or warped), you don't need to. most quix lubes (believe it or not) don't change it. some filters come with them like purolators (god i hate BMW cartridge filters and all those damn O-rings and gaskets) but anyways if you know a honda tech or just ask for one sometimes they'll take pity on you and give ya a washer

MajinB 08-07-2005 08:58 PM

a washer at dealership is one dollar for 1. and i also use pure one/purolator. the others are just too expensive for just an oil filter