Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   how to change spark plug (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/219546-how-change-spark-plug.html)

CIVIC X3 07-12-2005 03:39 PM

how to change spark plug

does anyone know the thread to DIY spark plug change? i'm new with the coilover spark plug and dont really know much about it...any info. would be great...

03CivicEX4Door 07-12-2005 04:11 PM

what you got ex lx ect
coupe or sedan

CIVIC X3 07-13-2005 12:56 AM

i have an ex coupe...is it different with other trim?

aznboysrfr 07-13-2005 01:00 AM

no it's not different ... check your owner's manual

MajinB 07-13-2005 01:11 AM

ok get a spark plug socket and an extender. each cylinder has its own ignition pack that you have to disconnect. one by one. so there are tabs on the sides of the plastic connectors. push in and pull outward at the same time. so then it will be unattatched.now there are small bolts that hold each insulator onto the motor. i believe its like 7 or 8 mm socket. not sure. try them out. counterclockwise turning will loosen them. only do one at a time. so after that put the nut somewhere you won't loose it. pull the insulator out. carefully insert the socket using the extender onto the spark plug in the cylinder space that is present. turn it counterclockwise with the ratchet to loosen the plug. keep your hand on the top of the ratchet so you don't break the damn plug. once you get it loose keep going till you can unscrew it will just the extendor. itll be a min. so then the plug should be stuck into the plug socket. carefully pull it out. inspect the plug for damage or any other signs of foulness. lol. so then take the old plug off the socket. you should not need to gap your plugs. if you do for some damn reason then get the advance auto parts guy to teach you how. i cannot explain in words at 2 in the mornin. so then put the new plug into the plug socket. with the extendor slowly insert the new plug. now this is important first, with your HAND on the extendor slowly screw the plug into the threads by HAND. do not use the ratchet yet. keep screwing slowly until you cannot do it with your hand anymore. this keeps the threads from crossing=less crap 4 you. take the ratchet and turn it 3/4 of a turn to tighten it. 3/4 nothin less and NO MORE. re-install the insulator. bolt the nut back on till its tight. use the best judgement. clip the wire back into the socket that you pulled out in the first place. repeat 3x. good luck. have fun. any questions?

CIVIC X3 07-13-2005 02:39 AM

wow thnx for the info..helps alot..i've done spark plug change with the spark plug wires kind but not the coil...so i was just wondering what's under the cap...thnx

dariusld 07-13-2005 09:31 AM

More info

MajinB 07-13-2005 11:57 AM

i wish to know the progress of this plug change, and what plugs you used.

CIVIC X3 07-13-2005 11:32 PM

thnx for the extra info dariusld