Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   fumoto oil drain valve review (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/216735-fumoto-oil-drain-valve-review.html)

ojay 06-18-2005 01:28 AM

fumoto oil drain valve review

http://thefilebucket.com/userfiles/ojay/fumoto.jpg

messy oil changes? this valve acts like a faucet on your oil pan. just push the lever tab up and around, and it opens the valve and oil comes out cleaner. this was my first oil change using it, and i love it!

no more drain plug stripping hassle
less of a mess
easy to use.

best investment in the civic so far.

purchase/more info @ www.fumotovalve.com/

robbclark1 06-18-2005 09:22 AM

What pitch size did you get?

Storm897 06-18-2005 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by robbclark1
What pitch size did you get?

I have this also. The one shown in the picture is F-106. I have the F-106N. Get the F-106 because it has a nipple on it that allows you to attach a hose to it.

ojay 06-18-2005 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Storm897
I have this also. The one shown in the picture is F-106. I have the F-106N. Get the F-106 because it has a nipple on it that allows you to attach a hose to it.

exactly. i should of got the nipple but they were sold out back then.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 07-01-2005 05:46 PM

Pretty cool, but thats sort of just another way to worry about leaking oil out of your car. Any sort of guarantee that it wont break and bust your car, and if so they will buy me a new car????

XSRCivic 07-01-2005 06:12 PM

hmm seems pretty solid.. its not like there's a huge ammount of pressure being put on it so I doubt that it would fail..

dariusld 07-01-2005 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by XSRCivic
hmm seems pretty solid.. its not like there's a huge ammount of pressure being put on it so I doubt that it would fail..

When you bottom out your lowered Civic, it's not going to seem so solid. Hows that for pressure. Quote from their website

Drive carefully at all times, and if you run over any foreign object on the road, pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak.
N-Series valve(with Nipple to accept hose) is not recommended for passenger cars with low ground clearance

ojay 07-01-2005 11:10 PM

it's fine. in the picture, i haven't tighten it all the way and it sits right side up of the oil pan. you would have to hit the oil pan before you hit the the valve while your driving.

and this thing is HARD. i was surprised how heavy the plug was constructed. to open the valve you would have to push the tab up, and slide it at the same time, something hard to do by debris on the road.

and the website's advice is common sense. btw, FRAM makes a similar product, where you open the valve by twisting, this one seems a little more secure (locking tab and twist)

truehonda 07-02-2005 10:43 AM

It looks like a great way not to get messy but it will never be as strong as a solid metal bolt. Many of us do bottom out on lowered cars and I wouldnt want to check every time nor worry about it leaking.

Edward

ojay 07-02-2005 01:45 PM

it is a solid metal bolt basically with just a secure lever for opening it. and you never have to take it off.

all i'm saying, feel free to try it, espescially if you're one of the victims of a stripping drain bolt. or messy oil changes. or have 20 bucks to blow ;)

Al Gore FTW 07-02-2005 09:27 PM

hmm might think about this, i make a mess every oil change.

TANK 07-11-2005 08:52 PM

I have seen this on many other (inferior of course) car boards....If we could get someone from 7thgen to email them they will give a discount code, usually 10-15% off, for everyone here to use. Just a thought

Evil Betty 07-13-2005 05:40 PM

Looks like a great idea. Anyone have trouble with one? Leaks, sticking, etc? Website says "tested to -40F", a lot of good that will do me in Wisconsin. LOL.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 07-13-2005 05:54 PM

Its definately more likely to hit the pan that that, you would have to get some air and land funky to hit the valve. I would rather just leave it alone though, and not worry about another place to check for oil leaking, or risk that it could happen. I have a lot of money invested in my car though, and want to keep my investment safe.

cpayne5 07-14-2005 08:07 AM

I have one in my 4Runner. It is very solid and *very* heavy for its size. The literature that came w/ mine says that they have sold over 2 million units with 0 reported problems. I have had no problems w/ mine and will put one in my Civic at their next oil changes. Some things are not for everybody though, and I can understand the concern.

TANK 07-14-2005 05:57 PM

I am not sure if anyone from 7thgen emailed them for a code but you can use the code "YMC5" for 10% off :)

Evil Betty 08-26-2005 11:35 AM

I'd appreciate any updates on this valve? Ojay, is it still looking good and working well? Thinking of ordering mine up soon. Thanks.

ojay 08-30-2005 05:55 AM

still good here :tup:

been into an accident last month, smashing up over a curb on a muddy night. a little dirty but still there.

it's just an oil plug with a faucet :tup: :)

shroomster 09-09-2005 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cpayne5
I have one in my 4Runner. It is very solid and *very* heavy for its size. The literature that came w/ mine says that they have sold over 2 million units with 0 reported problems. I have had no problems w/ mine and will put one in my Civic at their next oil changes. Some things are not for everybody though, and I can understand the concern.

god anyone from the media biz will tell you this "EVERYBODY LIES"

just cuz they don't report it don't mean it don't happen...just cuz they pay you to STFU don't mean it didn't happen

shroomster 09-09-2005 02:57 PM

IMO this is for those of you who are either too lazy to care about your investment or just think everything should be done quickly....I like the fact that I can sleep good at night knowing my Honda is still a Honda and not a conglomeration of different parts who say there better than or at least as good as the O.E.M parts...theres a reason its called o.e.m. cuz it was made for your car...if honda felt it was necessary to put it on there it would've gone on there

Al Gore FTW 09-09-2005 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shroomster
IMO this is for those of you who are either too lazy to care about your investment or just think everything should be done quickly....I like the fact that I can sleep good at night knowing my Honda is still a Honda and not a conglomeration of different parts who say there better than or at least as good as the O.E.M parts...theres a reason its called o.e.m. cuz it was made for your car...if honda felt it was necessary to put it on there it would've gone on there

then why the hell is your car modded?

Engine/Performance Modifications:
Short Ram intake (A.E.M)
Suspension/Wheel Modifications:
Eibach Pro-kit
Tokico blues
SPC full Camber and alignment kit

lightweight alloy Enduro Rims
195/60r15 Yk420 yokohamas

PowerSlot slotted rotors
Axxis Ultimate carbon/ceramic pads
Exterior Modifications:
piaa parking lights hyper white
in true ricer fashion l.e.d. washer nozzles (hyper white)
Interior Modifications:
rubberfloormats...it gets rainy in florida sometimes ya know?
I.C.E.:
Sony cdx2000 headunit

back to the topic...well this is kinda off topic, but ojay, is your oil pan some kind of metal? jw, cuz mine is some plastic/composite shit.

Jrfish007 09-09-2005 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mandangalo
back to the topic...well this is kinda off topic, but ojay, is your oil pan some kind of metal? jw, cuz mine is some plastic/composite shit.

If your oil pan is plastic, please post a pick, I have NEVER seen a plastic oil pan before and never even seen one for sale. I would think that would be very unsafe.

shroomster 09-09-2005 04:26 PM

then why the hell is your car modded?

Engine/Performance Modifications:
Short Ram intake (A.E.M)
Suspension/Wheel Modifications:
Eibach Pro-kit
Tokico blues
SPC full Camber and alignment kit

lightweight alloy Enduro Rims
195/60r15 Yk420 yokohamas

PowerSlot slotted rotors
Axxis Ultimate carbon/ceramic pads
Exterior Modifications:
piaa parking lights hyper white
in true ricer fashion l.e.d. washer nozzles (hyper white)
Interior Modifications:
rubberfloormats...it gets rainy in florida sometimes ya know?
I.C.E.:
Sony cdx2000 headunit

I'm talking about parts that shouldn't need to be modded like your c/v boots your axles your nuts and bolts things that unless you or someone else fycks them up shouldn't need to be changed...

Jrfish007 09-09-2005 05:00 PM

Enough flaming, both of you have made your points, now move on please...

ojay 09-09-2005 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shroomster
I'm talking about parts that shouldn't need to be modded like your c/v boots your axles your nuts and bolts things that unless you or someone else fycks them up shouldn't need to be changed...

Shroomster please stop ruining my thread :tdown:

i bought this because i've had a reliable friend tell me about it, on top of the fact that my oil bolt was starting to strip. my oil changes are cleaner (less splash) because i can control the oil flow when it comes out like faucet; convenience, my friend.

mandangalo made a good point though :_please:

people are speaking from their point of view and experience, isn't that what reviews are for anyway? people didn't have a problem with this thing on the mazda6 forums, and i'm sure more people as well. i can understand why people are worried but geezus :confused:

Al Gore FTW 09-09-2005 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
If your oil pan is plastic, please post a pick, I have NEVER seen a plastic oil pan before and never even seen one for sale. I would think that would be very unsafe.

ill get a pic next time im under the car.

sorry bout the flaming a few posts up earlier.

shroomster 09-10-2005 02:25 PM

ill get a pic next time im under the car.

sorry bout the flaming a few posts up earlier.

I'd like to see a pic too please (being sincere not sarcastic) cuz thats like what dropping 3 or 4 lbs off weight? that'd be awesome...
btw i apologize for the heat earlier as well...everyone is entitled to their opinion i just oversaturated mine...

mrDFWmechanic 09-16-2005 12:06 AM

i've seen it before but i'd be soo paranoid about the damn thing commin off, i'll just stick with a drain plug

C2i0v0i1C 09-16-2005 12:34 AM

1.shouldnt mod ur axles! thats a false statement, they make stage 6 1500hp axles, someone thinks they should mod them.
2. as for this part on the oil pan. im sure it works. i wouldnt recommend it for extremely low cars or engines with serious modifications for performance(turbo,etc.)
3. im sure the mfg looked at all possible avenues for a potential lawsuit in the R&D stage, and had they found somethign bad im sure they wouldnt have marketed it and wasted time and money

dbzkid84 09-16-2005 02:18 AM

I think this thing really cool for convience and time. Especially on my girlfriends civic to make the work that much easier!