Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Anyone using an S2000 oil filter? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/213331-anyone-using-s2000-oil-filter.html)

Silver02EX 05-22-2005 01:22 AM

Anyone using an S2000 oil filter?

I did some search on the OEM honda oil filter. I was considering using the OEM (Filtech) filter part # 15400-PLM-A01... I also found out that an S2000 filter would word for our Civic's? (D17A2) and is a better filter than the Filtech ones. I just wanted to see if anyone is using the OEM S200 filters in their cars? and what's the part number for it?

Al Gore FTW 05-22-2005 03:21 AM

not me, i use purolator pureone filters with mobil1 5w20 (used to be 0w20)

aznboysrfr 05-22-2005 03:21 AM

I'm curious about this too ... hamp filters are almost identical to the s2k filters

S2000man01 05-22-2005 10:47 AM

The S2000 filter is probably not the best filter for your car. It's purpose designed for the required flow pressures and requirements for the S2000 engine. You may not get proper oil flow.

ragingSPAM 05-22-2005 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by S2000man01
The S2000 filter is probably not the best filter for your car. It's purpose designed for the required flow pressures and requirements for the S2000 engine. You may not get proper oil flow.

yup exactly true...i use amsoil filters

armieo 05-22-2005 08:05 PM

I went to Honda and the mechanic said the filter that they had in the bin was for all cars. I don't know.

S2000man01 05-22-2005 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by armieo
I went to Honda and the mechanic said the filter that they had in the bin was for all cars. I don't know.

Surprisingly there are too many dealerships that have no idea there is a seperate filter for the S2000 vs all the other hondas.

the filter with PLM in the part number is for all hondas, where the PCX is made for the S2000 only.

DestnationUnkwn 05-22-2005 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Silver02EX
I did some search on the OEM honda oil filter. I was considering using the OEM (Filtech) filter part # 15400-PLM-A01...

OEM Honda filters are no longer made by Filtech, they are made by Honeywell(Fram).........crap. Find another kind of filter. I think the S2000 filters are still made by Toyo Roki? ....Dont know cause I dont own one. But I do know that all US and Canadian oil Filters for all other models are made by Honeywell(Fram). They put Honeywell on some filters cause Fram is considered by most as crap.

S2000man01 05-23-2005 12:26 AM

The S2000 filter is not a fram filter. Unsure who makes it, but I know it's not FRAM.

Flashlightboy 05-23-2005 01:40 PM

Yes, you can use the filter safely and with complete confidence per Honda. A couple of years ago they switched from the S2000 sized filter to the modern thimble however they published a memo that said the larger filter can be used interchangeably.

Remember, Civics were using the larger filter until 2001? so it was (is) safe to use. I have one at home right now that I'll use next change. M1 104.

S2000man01 05-23-2005 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Flashlightboy
A couple of years ago they switched from the S2000 sized filter to the modern thimble however they published a memo that said the larger filter can be used interchangeably.

Remember, Civics were using the larger filter until 2001?

(the following info is from an oil thread on the S2000 filter on s2ki)
The PCX filter is not the same filter as the one you talk about here. The PCX S2000 filter was not created until 2004, so you're kinda leading people down the wrong path here. You are referring to the old PLM filter.

The PCX filter, while it will fit, could cause improper oil flow, since the oil flow requirements of the S2000 and bypass valve limits, etc, are COMPLETELY different than any other honda. So I'd advise against using the PCX filter on a civic or any other car other than the S2000. If you had to temporarily use one, then it'd be ok, but don't continue using them.

Flashlightboy 05-23-2005 07:02 PM

S2000,

I stand corrected on the newer filter. In case there is some confusion, the older PLM filters are ok even on cars where the thimble filter is now spec'd but the PCX filters shouldn't be used.

Eclectic 05-23-2005 07:10 PM

since fram doesn't seem to be a good choice, what's a good aftermarket brand for oil filters? thanks

Flashlightboy 05-23-2005 07:29 PM

PureOne, Wix, Mobil 1, K&N, Amsoil are well spoken of. I'm sure that there are others equally suitable.

thiscrackerntam 05-23-2005 07:59 PM

No filter in the aftermarket world is gonna be better for your honda engine than the Filtech filter that is recommended for your engine by honda. Thats just my opinion...Nothing is better for your honda than genuine honda replacement parts. (for the most part anyway)

DestnationUnkwn 05-23-2005 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by S2000man01
The S2000 filter is not a fram filter. Unsure who makes it, but I know it's not FRAM.

Didnt say the S2000 filters were made by Fram, go back and reread my post.

I said they used to be made by Toyo Roki, went by my local dealer to pick up some special order parts and confirmed that the S2000 is still manufactured by Toyo Roki.

Any way if you want similar craftsmanship as the S2000 Filters search for HAMP filters they are made by the same company(Toyo Roki) for Honda of Japan. They use the same style bypass filter as the S2000 filter as they are manufactured by the company.

I would recommend using the correct size filter for newer 2002+ Civics because you might get some valvetrain noise due to the larger filter body not getting the same oil pressure as the smaller ones.

S2000man01 05-23-2005 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DestnationUnkwn
Didnt say the S2000 filters were made by Fram, go back and reread my post.

You should follow your own advice. ;)

I think the S2000 filters are still made by Toyo Roki? ....Dont know cause I dont own one.

You said you thought they were but you didn't know. All I was doing was confirming your initial post. I was stating that they surely were not made by fram, though I was unsure who they were made by. Insinuating that they were still made by toyo roki.
:tup:

DestnationUnkwn 05-23-2005 09:43 PM

Right. I did say I didnt know if they were still manufactured by the same company(Toyo Roki) Go back and reread again before making comments. I clearly stated that all other Honda Filters in the US and Canada are Honeywell(Fram). Never made a comment that would make people think that the S2000 Filters are made by Fram. Before correcting someone you should make sure you are right to begin with.

DestnationUnkwn 05-23-2005 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by thiscrackerntam
No filter in the aftermarket world is gonna be better for your honda engine than the Filtech filter that is recommended for your engine by honda. Thats just my opinion...Nothing is better for your honda than genuine honda replacement parts. (for the most part anyway)

The OEM Honda filters are no longer made by Filtech, they are now manufactured by Honeywell (FRAM). The reason they changed the name on the oil filter canister from Fram to Honeywell (same filter), is because some people have very negative things to say about Fram's construction.

If you do oil changes at 3k then you should be ok with the OEM filter(Fram). If not get a better one.

thiscrackerntam 05-23-2005 10:33 PM

I've been using the purolator pure-one's lately however, in general genuine honda parts are best in terms of reliability. As far as honda now sourcing their filters through fram, thats news to me, but if its true then so be it. Honda Motor Co. knows whats best for their motor vehicles. Another thing is that also doesnt necessarily mean that the filters labeled as Fram on the store shelves are the same exact thing as the honda filters either.

S2000man01 05-23-2005 11:50 PM

Right. I did say I didnt know if they were still manufactured by the same company(Toyo Roki) Go back and reread again before making comments. I clearly stated that all other Honda Filters in the US and Canada are Honeywell(Fram). Never made a comment that would make people think that the S2000 Filters are made by Fram. Before correcting someone you should make sure you are right to begin with.

as i said, you're misreading what I said and what I was insinuating by my post. you're taking things way too literal, when I was merely trying to confirm part of what you were saying.

you said you were unsure if the S2000 was made by toyo roki, but gave no indication of who you thought might have made it. you then followed with a statement that all other filters were made by fram. one could read this as "if the S2000 filter is no longer made by toyo riki, one could deduce it's made by fram since all other filters are made by fram". so my post was merely stating the fact that it wasn't made by fram, helping confirm your notion it was stil made by toyo riki. i never said you said the filter was made by fram.

you're really getting very defensive about something very trivial. seriously relax!

DestnationUnkwn 05-23-2005 11:50 PM

I've been using the purolator pure-one's lately however, in general genuine honda parts are best in terms of reliability. As far as honda now sourcing their filters through fram, thats news to me, but if its true then so be it. Honda Motor Co. knows whats best for their motor vehicles. Another thing is that also doesnt necessarily mean that the filters labeled as Fram on the store shelves are the same exact thing as the honda filters either.

The Fram on the shelf of your local auto parts store is exactly the same as the one your local Honda dealer sells. Its just rebadged as Honda. The internals are exactly the same. Car manufacturers are in business to do the same thing all other business do.......make money. If they can find a cheaper source for semi-reliable parts they will take it.

As I said earlier if you plan on changing your oil every 3k miles then the OEM filter is fine. If you use synthetic oil and plan on going longer between oil changes find another oil filter.

S2000man01 05-23-2005 11:57 PM

I think the reason honda made the change was because it felt that the FRAM filter was fine for the application of the civic, accord, etc. The cars are not necessarily something that requires a very specific filter for specific flows, specs, etc. If honda is confident in the filter, then I don't see a problem taking it 7500 miles between changes using the rebadged fram filter. while fram is not known for superior quality, is it really necessary to use a premium filter on your civic? if you were driving spiritedly a lot, doing auto-x, etc, then you should consider it. but otherwise, IMO, it's not necessary.

thiscrackerntam 05-25-2005 07:41 PM

The Fram on the shelf of your local auto parts store is exactly the same as the one your local Honda dealer sells. Its just rebadged as Honda. The internals are exactly the same. Car manufacturers are in business to do the same thing all other business do.......make money. If they can find a cheaper source for semi-reliable parts they will take it.

As I said earlier if you plan on changing your oil every 3k miles then the OEM filter is fine. If you use synthetic oil and plan on going longer between oil changes find another oil filter.

How do you know that the filters honda is stocking in their parts area are the same exact thing as fram filters sold on the store shelves at your local Avanced Auto? That simply sounds like an assumption to me. Have you examined a cut-away example of both filters? How do you know they didnt incorporate a slighty different design charcteristic into the ones that they are providing for Honda Motor Co.? I'm not gonna argue on wether or not a filter is a filter because obviously everyone here has a different opinion, but I will just say this...I stand by my previous statement. "Generally, genuine Honda replacement parts are best in terms of reliability"

Silver02EX 05-25-2005 11:59 PM

I went to 5 different dealers to see if I can pick up a A01 (filtech) filter. Most of them were out. I e-mail handa-accessories to see if they have any Filtech filters left. Here's what I got from them.

Hi,

we try to supply only the Filtech A01 and it is currently what we have in stock. Occasionally we will (without notice) run out and ship the A02, Honda sends whichever number they have on hand so we have no say in what we get from them, but we currently have enough A01's available so we will have them for a couple more weeks at least. Recommend placing your order soon.

Thanks,

--Bill
Bill@HandA-Accessories.com

Here's some more pictures I dig up of the A01 (filtech) filter and the A02 (fram) filter.

http://elabfcsvrt.fdu.edu/bartsch/Pr...udeOilFilters/

Silver02EX 05-26-2005 12:08 AM

How do you know that the filters honda is stocking in their parts area are the same exact thing as fram filters sold on the store shelves at your local Avanced Auto? That simply sounds like an assumption to me. Have you examined a cut-away example of both filters? How do you know they didnt incorporate a slighty different design charcteristic into the ones that they are providing for Honda Motor Co.? I'm not gonna argue on wether or not a filter is a filter because obviously everyone here has a different opinion, but I will just say this...I stand by my previous statement. "Generally, genuine Honda replacement parts are best in terms of reliability"

Fram Extra guard looks the same as the new Honda A02 to me.

Fram Extra guard:
http://elabfcsvrt.fdu.edu/bartsch/Pr...ramPH3593A.JPG

Honda A02
http://elabfcsvrt.fdu.edu/bartsch/Pr...400PLMA02C.JPG

DestnationUnkwn 05-26-2005 12:41 AM

I have opened them both up. They are exactly the same. I have also opened up the old Filtech ones, much better construction. I have pics if yo wold like to see. Silver posted some up already, too.

As far as S2000man01's comments as to why Honda chose Fram, From my experience in the automotive industry, what it comes down to now more than ever is $$$. In order for a company to stay competitive they have to cut costs. Wether it be in the workforce or in its suppliers, the #1 thing they worry about is the bottom line. Companies as big as Honda no longer answer to the consumer they answer to their stockholders. Getting back on the subject of Filters. I have torn apart some filters after being used and of course some are better than others. The experience I have had with the new filters from Fram is not good. I wish I would have taken pictures of the one I took off of my cousins wife's car, she had gone 5000-6000 miles on it and it had torn pleats. Fram uses cardboard ends to hold their filter media together, not good in my opinion.

In the end its really up to you, and how long you want your vehicle's engine to last. I never pay over $12 for a filter. True our cars don’t need 'premium' filters but Id rather protect my investment(car), because I paid $15k for this car and I want it to last as long as it can in the best possible shape.

To who ever started this thread my suggestion to you is to search for the best possible filter at a reasonable price. If you want something close to the S2000 filter try a HAMP filter, they are made by the same comp. who manufactures the S2000 filter and if you search they will cost you no more than $8 and they are a Genuine Honda Part. If you want to use the blue OEM Fram/Honeywell filter just buy the orange Fram your local auto parts store carries, it’s the exact same thing and will cost you a few dollars less.

DestnationUnkwn 05-26-2005 12:51 AM

Sorry Silver didnt know it was you that started this thread.

Silver02EX 05-26-2005 01:28 AM

I ordered a few A01 filters from handa-accessories. For those of you who are looking for them, you might want to order from them since these filters are getting more rare. I know it's that way around Washington.

thiscrackerntam 05-26-2005 07:04 AM

I have opened them both up. They are exactly the same. I have also opened up the old Filtech ones, much better construction. I have pics if yo wold like to see. Silver posted some up already, too.

As far as S2000man01's comments as to why Honda chose Fram, From my experience in the automotive industry, what it comes down to now more than ever is $$$. In order for a company to stay competitive they have to cut costs. Wether it be in the workforce or in its suppliers, the #1 thing they worry about is the bottom line. Companies as big as Honda no longer answer to the consumer they answer to their stockholders. Getting back on the subject of Filters. I have torn apart some filters after being used and of course some are better than others. The experience I have had with the new filters from Fram is not good. I wish I would have taken pictures of the one I took off of my cousins wife's car, she had gone 5000-6000 miles on it and it had torn pleats. Fram uses cardboard ends to hold their filter media together, not good in my opinion.

What you're saying is true to an extent, but I dont believe that "saving money" is now Hondas primary concern. I mean think about it, they still have a reputation to maintain and thats always been about reliability pretty much. Reliability is what has made Honda the giant that they are today not style and/ or high performance. They might be willing to try and save money is some ways, but not at the expense of the company's integrity. If all they cared about anymore was saving money then all of their cars would be about sh!tty as some of these Hyundais rolling around. Obviously, the Fram filters arent that bad if Honda is willing to source all of their oil filters through them now. Honda might be saving money by choosing to do business with the lowest bidder for oil filters but I'm sure that Fram had to meet some kind of good quality standard in order for them to get the "contract" or whatever. Another thing as well, usually when Honda makes updates like that on any part, its usually for a better part. Atleast thats what I've been told by more than a couple Honda reps.