Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   NGK Spark Plugs (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/207204-ngk-spark-plugs.html)

draganjr 04-12-2005 02:16 PM

NGK Spark Plugs

Why are Double Platinum plugs more then the Iridium IX plugs? I thought it would be the other way around!?!

CapYoda 04-12-2005 02:34 PM

eh.

the double platinum ones are the ones that came with the stock car I think. they're like 9.95 ish each right?

its either that one or the Denso platinum one.. or whichever denso one thats also around 9.95

Iridium IX is around 6.95 ish i think?

just cuz it cost more doesnt mean its better *shrug* maybe thats the pricing they want for their iridium lines.. so they better compete against the denso iridium ones.

personally, paying that much for spark plugs is wack. even the stock ones are expensive as heck, and they dont seem to last long enough. you're not suppose to have to change them for like 100,000 miles or something. sheesh.

i changed mine for regular NGK v-power platinum ones.. they're like $2 bux each.

spending more on spark plugs is kinda iffy. unless u have some modification that really require the different spark specs.

aznboysrfr 04-12-2005 04:16 PM

:tup: for ngk iridiums.

I was reading gearbox's post about how they get really crappy and sluggish after a while ... and about 1-1.5 months after installing mine, they were really sluggish. Then I was taking them out to see how they were and ALL of them were basically less than finger tight ... so I used a tq wrench, torqued them to 13 ft/lb and they work like new again

nutshell: make sure you torque them correctly

genoz1de 04-12-2005 08:03 PM

Guys,
Some queries on plugs.
I had recently ran into timing belt sensor problem which resulted my car to be stalled after 20 ~ 30 mins drive.
I changed the sensor and the car is fine to date.
The mechanics (@ Honda) claimed the sensor failed because of the incorrect plug used. They strictly recommend me to use the plugs as per specified in the user manual.
Based on your experience, is the clarification from Honda valid or a gimmick for me to buy their plugs.
Thanks

tacheon 04-13-2005 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by genoz1de
Guys,
Some queries on plugs.
I had recently ran into timing belt sensor problem which resulted my car to be stalled after 20 ~ 30 mins drive.
I changed the sensor and the car is fine to date.
The mechanics (@ Honda) claimed the sensor failed because of the incorrect plug used. They strictly recommend me to use the plugs as per specified in the user manual.
Based on your experience, is the clarification from Honda valid or a gimmick for me to buy their plugs.
Thanks

There's no such thing as a timing belt sensor. As far as non-specified plugs are concerned, you may use them if you wish. You don't need to buy the plugs specified in the user manual from Honda. They're readily available from any auto parts store. Non-specified plugs will not cause the failure of any part as long as they have the same heat range, thread type, and sparkplug gap. The plugs recommended in the manual are the ones tested to work well with the engine and provide a good lifespan for the plug.

draganjr 04-13-2005 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
:tup: for ngk iridiums.

I was reading gearbox's post about how they get really crappy and sluggish after a while ... and about 1-1.5 months after installing mine, they were really sluggish. Then I was taking them out to see how they were and ALL of them were basically less than finger tight ... so I used a tq wrench, torqued them to 13 ft/lb and they work like new again

nutshell: make sure you torque them correctly

My NGK Iridiums are running very sluggish and I would like to return to the Plat. ones. Where is a good site (with low prices) for the stock ones?

Is the V-Power ones any good?

aznboysrfr 04-14-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by draganjr
My NGK Iridiums are running very sluggish and I would like to return to the Plat. ones. Where is a good site (with low prices) for the stock ones?

if the ngk's are sluggish, try re-torqing them to 13 ft/lb first to see if that eliminates the problem. like my above post, that was my problem.

V power plugs aren't good ... since they are non-resistor, they cause a lot of electrical disturbance ... that's what hondata said anyway.

draganjr 04-18-2005 08:52 AM

What about the G-Power Platinum spark plugs, are they good? I am getting spark plugs for the wife's Honda Civic!

I went back to Double Platinum! The retorqing did not help!

2kstreetcivic 04-18-2005 10:45 AM

just go to Kragen or some place like that for NGK V-power..they are 1.99 each..I have them and love them

draganjr 04-18-2005 12:38 PM

But is G-Power Platinum any good?

2kstreetcivic 04-18-2005 03:30 PM

But is G-Power Platinum any good?

yes, ANY NGK spark plug you get is good...but unless you are running boost, or N20 and need the extra spark rating, save your money, but the NGK V-power for 1.99 each and then treat yourself to lunch

JesterMasque 04-25-2005 08:05 PM

Seriously, NGK is just fine and for generally stock motors anything above single platinum is a waste of money. You don't need double or triple plat. like alot of ricers who think plugs are an upgrade use. I've used NGK single plat. in all cars that I've every had or ever worked on and they have excellent longevity and enough spark that even a super stock motor would need. But like aznboys said, torque to the specs! Otherwise any plug you use will lag like shit.

VTEC01EX 04-26-2005 02:38 PM

I'm not so sure about all of these people and the plugs "feeling sluggish". Your car just shouldn't be fouling plugs that quickly unless there is some sort of real mechanical problem. Gearbox is the exception, he's got some sort of mod ... I forget exactly what at the moment, but I remember some previous drama involving him going through a lot of plugs. If you want the best conducting plugs you can buy, go get some coppers. Platinum's claim to fame is longevity, not conductivity.

Edit: And I've had a set of NGK Iridium IX's in my car for about 20,000 miles now. The car feels as good as it did the day I dropped them in. Maybe I should turn my butt dyno to paranoid ricer mode :)

gearbox 04-26-2005 02:47 PM

my ngk iridiums were great until around 15k miles when they felt bad even though the torque was correct. I swapped for stock and it feels fine again. Just keep the stock double platinum. Oh and v-power is a terrible plug I've tried it.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 04-26-2005 05:53 PM

Denso's are way more expensive around here. Which is why I originaly chose them for boosting. I didnt know if more money was better, but I figure I will go with the mroe expensive brand. They have worked good so far, and I will change them probably around 15000 or less miles. It cost me like 49 or 52 bucks, and the NGKs were 2 bucks a piece.

gearbox 04-26-2005 08:15 PM

I've heard ONLY use copper plugs with turbo.