Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Interior DIY (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/117-interior-diy)
-   -   DIY: Trunk Shocks (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/117-interior-diy/56901-diy-trunk-shocks.html)

024drlx 03-21-2004 02:52 PM

yeah grey trunk diy is awesome. instead of the trunk tool, i use a hammer. the trick was to use the nail pulling from the hammer.

XtremeJM 03-29-2004 01:38 PM

I just ordered mine... i got 70lbs, my ish is gonna open all by itself, ha ha, but i have a heavy ass kaminari wing, so yeah, my friend has the 60lbs and his is cool, you pop the trunk and it opens all by its self, like right now when i pop it open it does nothing, you cant eve tell the trunk is unlocked. I will let you all know what i think of the over killin 70lb shocks later

Stephon314 04-03-2004 11:05 PM

UPDATE AGAIN! The 15lbs shocks would perfectly work with the trunk with stock spoiler and trunk springs after a while. My trunk used to rattle a little bit after opening but now the force has become weaker and it's much better now.

Another update is that this DIY would work even on a sedan. Therefore this DIY is good for both coupe and sedan!

sage_ 04-08-2004 09:02 PM

Spring break time = DIY time. Ordered the parts from McMaster.com in about 3 minutes, which came to a total of 39.67. Can’t wait till they come in next week. I have the stock spoiler on my EX coupe with no trunk springs because of my aftermarket 6x9’s; so I ordered two 70lbs gas shocks. Hopefully they won’t be too much for my trunk. I’ll let everyone know how the 70lbs shocks work for me because I know there are some people out there who have a similar set up as me and are unsure as to what lbs. shock to get for their ride.

:_bow: my thanks again to Grey for another great DIY :D

are6 04-11-2004 03:02 PM

excellent mod...I'm gonna try it this week...

...but there hasn't really been a definitive answer on what weight to use with what...maybe someone could make a chart (ie, spoiler/no spoiler, coupe/sedan, springs/no springs, etc)...that would be useful...

Anyway, my real question is: what weight shocks do I use if I want to do the following:

- remove factory trunk springs altogether
- I have a coupe with an OEM spoiler
- and I want it to come all the way up when I pull the release latch in the car

Just wondering if anybody has this setup and what they recommend...

Thanks...

Stephon314 04-11-2004 03:09 PM

- remove factory trunk springs altogether
- I have a coupe with an OEM spoiler
- and I want it to come all the way up when I pull the release latch in the car

According to what some people suggest from the previous replies, you should use 60 lbs. Since McMaster provides a 100% guaranteed refund/exchange anytime, you can feel confident trying 60lbs first and then go from there. My setup is:

-Keep the trunk springs
-OEM spoiler

I used 15 lbs and it was still a little bit more powerful than I expected as the trunk rattled a little bit after released. However, the shocks are getting weaker now so it looked smoothier now. As for the list of set ups on different conditions, I guess everyone has different standards so it's better to post here and ask instead of making a list.

are6 04-11-2004 05:01 PM

Yeah, I read the replies and some people are saying 50s, than some say 60s and 70s have been thrown around in the mix as well, just wanted to get a feel for how it comes up with any of theses

One more question, what exactly do you mean by rattling? And is the trunk as "sturdy" with this mod? With that, I mean, is there any sideways or "other than normal" movement?...that's the best I can explain it...I know the shocks themselves are pretty stout, but is an new "play" introduced into the trunk movement?

Thanks again

Stephon314 04-11-2004 05:08 PM

pm me or email me with your email address and I'll send you some clips to show what I was talking about. It's like when the trunk was released, it would shake for like 1 second. I've seen the stock ones from Benz and it was perfect when it opened. I thought about putting something like sponge on the trunk hinge so the rattling would stop after opened. However, I don't think it is necessary anymore since the force of the shocks would become weaker after a while. (Approxmiate 1 month?) Anyway, you'll see what I was talking about when you see the clip.

are6 04-11-2004 09:22 PM

pm'd ya...

Crashoveride 04-12-2004 03:40 PM

I just did this on the weekend and it worked great, I used the 50 lbs shocks and when i opened the trunk they did all the work for me. The only thing I am going to modify if the bump stops. When mine opens it does not hit them and the shocks stop it from opening so when it comes to the end of the shock it kind of bumps.
So all i am going to do is get a bigger set of bump stops and put them in and problem solved.

I would try going with the #40's if you dont have a wing or spoiler.
I will post pics later.

Later

Crashoveride.

sage_ 04-15-2004 02:41 AM

Alright, like I said earlier I have a coupe with a stock spoiler and no trunk springs. I successfully installed 70lbs gas shocks into my trunk and it now opens automatically. It opens smoothly with just a little jitter when it hits the bump stops. Hopefully this info will help the people who have similar set ups as I do. :evil:

TeLLy 04-18-2004 07:01 PM

I just did this with my EL, using 70lb shocks. I have a TON of B-Quiet lining my trunk lid, so with the stock springs it wouldn't open even the slightest after remote popping, and was always in danger of falling on me. With this mod, the lid swings open (all the way!) and barely a jitter. Need thicker bump stops methinks. But overall fantastico. Great DIY Grey!

sage_ 04-18-2004 07:36 PM

Did anyone ever find a way to build up those bump stops or make new ones or something to cushion the trunk when it opens all te way??? :confused:

Crashoveride 04-18-2004 08:54 PM

I was thinking about getting some bump stops like they have for the hood and replace the old ones. The ones for the hood are longer and are adjustable.
Just a thought, might try it next week.

Originally posted by sage_
Did anyone ever find a way to build up those bump stops or make new ones or something to cushion the trunk when it opens all te way??? :confused:

sage_ 04-19-2004 09:13 AM

The thing is the ones under the hood, if i remember correcyly, are rubber adjustable ones that you can screw left or right to make them move in our out, which are similar to the bump stops for the trunk lid. However, the bump stops for the trunk arms are a piece of rubber that is attached to a plastic clip of some sorts and clipped into the frame..... SO, is there anyone who did modify these trunk arm bump stops??? b/c i don't think those ones for our hoods will wrk.

Grey 04-19-2004 12:02 PM

No, those won't work. I would use a closed-cell foam that's stick on. Maybe 1/2" thick. I have some that I will try. I will post info. and pics when I get my digicam (I just bought one).

sage_ 04-21-2004 01:20 PM

Did you get that new cam. yet ?

TeLLy 04-21-2004 02:27 PM

I just opened up my trunk today - it doesn't open up automatically anymore - the shocks have "settled in" a bit. Still opens effortlessly though.
If I have to buy them again, I'm going straight to 90's or 100's...I wanna be able to launch babies with this thing. Although....last night (after celebrating 4:20) I dreamt up an actuated hydraulic setup set off by the keyfob remote....crazy? Maybe...

invasian 04-21-2004 03:35 PM

awesome.

Stephon314 04-21-2004 03:44 PM

Hey Telly did you know that McMaster.com has return/exchange policy? Just email them and request information about it and I believe you'll be able to return/exchange the shocks with no time limit. That's what their representative told me, and guess what they even shipped another set of shocks "BEOFRE" I return the wrong ones!!! Hope the info helps~

sage_ 04-21-2004 09:54 PM

Originally posted by TeLLy
I'm going straight to 90's or 100's...I wanna be able to launch babies with this thing.
if you installed 90's, for example, your trunk would auto open and SLAM against the bump stops soo hard that it would move your car forwards. I have 70's in my car with no trunk springs and the factory spoiler and mine jitters when it opens... Just don't go too nuts...

TeLLy 04-21-2004 10:25 PM

I guess you don't know me very well...I think I'm actually insane...lol.

Thanks for the headsup stephon. I knew that already but I'm a lazy bastard...I'll just wait till they die and if they do I'll grab another set when I order parts from my next project from mcmaster.

SpdRacR1002 05-03-2004 02:04 PM

hey i want to do this option, but the question is can the bars that go across the trunk be taken off? because i took them off and now my trunk lid is to heavy. i took the off because they touch my pioneer 6x9 speakers and makes a rattle noise, so by putting these shocks in will the trunk go up by it self or will it still be heavy. do they sell ones that push more pounds

Stephon314 05-03-2004 02:25 PM

SpedRacR1002
Yes you can uninstall the trunk springs because this DIY was originally designed to install 6X9 speakers. The force of the shocks varies depend on if you have OEM spoiler or not. If you don't you might wanna try 50 or 60 lbs and if you do have one 60 to 70 is what I've heard from others. After the installation your trunk would not be heavy and will lift up by itself. Be careful while installing because you no longer have trunk springs in your trunk and you'll need to follow the steps from Grey's DIY like using a rope to make sure it wouldn't hit you. You don't wanna get hit for sure! Goodl luck with the DIY~

sage_ 05-03-2004 02:40 PM

yeap, i had to take out my trunk springs b/c of my infinites 6/9's so i put in the trunk shocks and my trunk opens automatically now (keep in mind i bought 70lbs. cause i have a spoiler)

TeLLy 05-03-2004 03:18 PM

Dammit, my trunk has to be lifted now, but once I lift it about 6 inches it opens on its own..

No automatic popup = TeLLy sad.

turboslug 05-05-2004 03:40 AM

damn...

i ordered 2 ball studs and two brackets from mcmaster. the cost was $4ish for the parts but then they decided to ship them in this huge gigantic box and charge me an arm and a leg for shipping

also, they dont quote shipping prices. you find out the cost of shipping when the bill shows up on the credit card...

anyways, if anyone is gonna order parts from them, you better order lots of stuff. they'll ship in a large box even if you order a couple screws..

PlasmaGT 05-05-2004 06:49 AM

If you contact them, they will quote you a shipping price.

Grey 05-06-2004 08:52 AM

Originally posted by turboslug
damn...

i ordered 2 ball studs and two brackets from mcmaster. the cost was $4ish for the parts but then they decided to ship them in this huge gigantic box and charge me an arm and a leg for shipping

also, they dont quote shipping prices. you find out the cost of shipping when the bill shows up on the credit card...

anyways, if anyone is gonna order parts from them, you better order lots of stuff. they'll ship in a large box even if you order a couple screws..

Always select "UPS Ground" when selecting the shipping method. That results in the lowest price. They're default is "Best Method Available"; I think they try to get it to you as quickly as possible that way. :confused:

cheukkin 05-06-2004 11:35 AM

I have to lift it a little bit like 1cm then go all the way upward.