Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical DIY (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/114-electrical-diy)
-   -   Maintenance required light (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/114-electrical-diy/363562-maintenance-required-light.html)

gearbox 09-24-2004 08:29 AM

Maintenance required light

Nobody is allowed to post about this ever again! I will delete your thread no questions asked if I see it. You should know better than this. I will explain once and only once so that it doesn't get asked again. :)

Think of the light as a reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of your car. It just comes on at certain mileage intervals programmed by Honda. The stupid ones rush to the dealer and get the $500 service pack which includes an oil change and inspection. Most of us here do that stuff ourselves.

The light flashes and goes off at first, but after a while it will just stay on. Again, so those that don't know will take it in. It has nothing to do with any of the recommended service intervals.

Turning off the light:

The answer is even in your manual! Hold down the trip meter button, turn the car to on, wait about 20 seconds, start the car, and let go of the button. Light is reset until the next mileage interval.

*make sure lo beam headlights are turned OFF during the procedure*

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted by Metallica454:

Hopefully people will read this before posting anymore questions about it.

(Ref. Owner's Manual pages 67-68) The maintenance required light in our dash is a reminder to bring the car in for scheduled maintenance (every 10,000 miles). The light will flash after start up for 10 seconds once you are 2000 miles from the car's scheduled maintenance. Once you pass the scheduled maintencance mark (every 10,000 miles) without having the maintenanced performed and/or the light reset by the dealer, it will remain on forever unless reset. To reset it yourself, press and hold down the odometer button as you start your car. Continue holding it for 10 seconds and the light will reset itself. You DO NOT have to take the car in for it to be reset. Scheduled maintenance is like oil/filter changes, belts, etc. Look in your owner's manual (pages 194-198).

I hope this answers your questions.

bakuretsu 09-24-2004 08:09 PM

That is exactly the description that was missing in ALL of the other posts on this topic! Thank you! This should be sticky, in my opinion. Especially since everyone gets all hot under the collar about it.

It seems to come on more frequently than the recommended time between oil changes listed in the manual. I guess this is a workaround for making a really damned good engine... ("Well, it WILL go 10,000 miles... But this little light will get them in.")

For what it's worth, I'll never ask THAT question again.

HondaSales 09-24-2004 08:19 PM

lol-gearbox is funny

jkob2k1 09-26-2004 10:53 AM

gearbox is cool

_Viper_ 12-07-2004 01:39 PM

I sent him a PM on how do i get the light to turn off....

Man im Gonna get my ass Banned for this im sure..

lolllllllllllllll

starstryke 12-07-2004 02:59 PM

Actually, it's legal to say how to turn it off, I believe it's on page 57 of the owner's manual.

Turn the car off, hold down the right knob (tripmeter).. while holding it turn your key to the 2nd position and keep holding it for 10 seconds..

It's in print and available to every person who buys a car with that info.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoops, overread, it was a pm... lol.

nickm748 12-07-2004 03:06 PM

Man this is awsome iv been wondering this for a long time

Thanks gearbox

_Viper_ 12-07-2004 03:28 PM

Yeah i wanted to anoy him a bit with the question so I pm'ed him about it......

StealthCivic 12-20-2004 09:50 PM

Yea, cool it is a sticky, it is a ploy by Honda to get poor souls to waste their $$$ for nothing! We can do all the maintenance required ourselves! It should be called the money making light that comes on!

CuRiOuSfIsH 12-21-2004 12:42 AM

it is a good reminder, however, some ppl seem to freak out about it

ArthurBrazil 12-21-2004 03:54 AM

props gearbox

Metallica454 01-03-2005 05:37 PM

Taking credit for my topic Gearbox??? That little addition?

gearbox 01-03-2005 07:08 PM

Hmmm... quote button didn't work after pasting it. Fixed now.

Metallica454 01-03-2005 07:20 PM

:sweet: i was just kidding...but ok...cool.

18rbetter 01-31-2005 10:19 AM

ive tried doing this like everyday and the light wont go off.

gearbox 01-31-2005 11:10 AM

push in the odometer button, turn the car to ON position, wait about a minute, then let it go and turn off car. You're prolly not waiting long enough.

_Viper_ 01-31-2005 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
push in the odometer button, turn the car to ON position, wait about a minute, then let it go and turn off car. You're prolly not waiting long enough.

Where is the odometer button??? Let go of what??? waiting long enough for what?????

Lolllllll :moon: :moon:

Good info

18rbetter 01-31-2005 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox

um I did, and 20 seconds is how long I wait..

EternalBlue_Vic 02-08-2005 02:43 PM

cool deal, thanx gearbox.

18rbetter 02-20-2005 06:36 PM

ok i did it right finally, i was doin it wrong b4, ima fag

cargeek68 02-26-2005 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by StealthCivic
Yea, cool it is a sticky, it is a ploy by Honda to get poor souls to waste their $$$ for nothing! We can do all the maintenance required ourselves! It should be called the money making light that comes on!

so, are you saying that whenever a car is taken in to the dealer all they do is to change the oil and filter? what about adjusting the valve clearances, changing the fuel filter, and plugging in diagnostic tools? i don't think these could be DIYs considering that an ordinary peep with a vic will not even bother to buy a diagnostic equipment. Oh well, just my opinion.

gearbox 02-26-2005 09:04 AM

Most of those will never be needed. Fuel filter says every 100k miles, or if fuel pressure drops below factory spec (you have to pay extra for them to test that). Why would they plug in diagnostic tools? You can go to an auto parts store and they'll do that for free. Valve clearances should be adjusted only when noisy. Mine are still fine. It's much cleaper to take it there for one or two items. If I'm lazy, I would take it for a tranny fluid and oil change, maybe coolant change too. Alot of this stuff like air filter, plugs, cabin filters, etc can all be done yourself.

K20CivicTypeS 03-22-2005 10:29 AM

Gearbox, this has nothing to do with the topic at all, and you'll probably say im an idiot for asking. But, the picture of the Tach in your Avatar, if thats what yours acually looks like, where did you get the kit/guage for the blue LED, ive searched everywhere, and i want something that looks like the Autometer Cobalt series. Thanks

gearbox 03-22-2005 02:07 PM

It's all custom man, and yes that's how it looks. I have a full diy of how to install it the blue needle leds and the EL backlight just look for the thread in the lighting forum (it's a sticky, blue glow needles).

blackdragon 05-03-2005 09:48 PM

The engine light is like morse code or something. If u can read it, u could know what exactly its telling you. Mine started blinking 2 days ago and it blinked 10 times meaning something to do with my stock intake.

# Detection Item Probable Cause
1 Primary O2 Sensor Open or Short in O2 sensor circuit, bad Primary O2 sensor
3 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Open or short in MAP sensor circuit, bad MAPS
4 Crankshaft Position Sensor Failed sensor or timing belt slipped, bad CPS
5 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Reading too low or too high, bad MAP
6 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Reading too low, high, short or open, bad ECT
7 Throttle Position Circuit Reading too high, low, short or open, bad TPS
8 Crankshaft Position Sensor/
Top Dead Center Sensor/
Cylinder Position Sensor/ CKP/TDC/CYP senso circuitdisconnected,open or short. Bad TDC senor.
9 Cylinder Position Sensor Open or short in CYP circuit, bad CYP sensor
10 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Short or open in AIT circuit, bad AITS
13 Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit Bad ECM (Barometric sensor)
14 Idle Control System Malfunction Bad IAC valve, bad fast idle thermo valve, Throttle body
17 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Short or open in VSS circuit, bad VSS
20 Electrical Load Detector Circuit Short or open in circuit, bad ELD
22 VTEC System Malfunction Short or open in VTEC circuit, bad VTEC solenoid valve, Bad VTEC pressure switch
23 Knock Sensor Circuit Short or open in Knock Sensor circuit, bad Knock Sensor
30 A/T FI Signal A high/low input Bad AFSA line, TCM
31 A/T FI Signal B high/low input Bad AFSB line, TCM
41 Primary Heated O2 Sensor Heater Open or short in Primary O2 sensor heater circuit
45 System too lean/rich Fuel supply system, Primary O2 sensor, MAP sensor, contaminated fuel, valve clearance, exhaust leakage
54 Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation Sensor Open or short in CKF circuit, bad CKF sensor
61 Primary Heated O2 Sensor Slow response, bad O2 sensor, exhaust leak
63 Secondary Heated O2 Sensor Slow response, bad O2 sensor, exhaust leak
65 Secondary Heated O2 Sensor Circuit Open or short in secondary O2 sensor circuit
67 Catalyst System Efficiency System below threshold, bad catalytic converter
70 Automatic Transaxle A/T transmission, A/T FI data line, TCM, ECM
71 Random Misfire (Cyl 1) Ignition system, fuel supply system, MAP sensor, IAC valve, contaminated fuel, lack of fuel, fuel injector, fuel injector circuit, low compression, valve clearance
72 Random Misfire (Cyl 2)
73 Random Misfire (Cyl 3)
74 Random Misfire (Cyl 4)
86 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Bad ECT sensor, bad cooling system
90 Evap Emission Control System Leak Fuel cap loose, poor vacuum connection, fuel tank, fuel tank pressure sensor, EVAP bypass solenoid valve, EVAP tow-way valve, EVAP control canister vent shut valve, EVAP canister, EVAP purge control solenoid valve
91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Open or short in FTP circuit, Bad fuel tank pressure sensor

Chiguy_2002 05-06-2005 01:31 PM

I figured I would find the answer to this question here...Thanks a lot!! :)

In Catalyst 05-08-2005 12:44 AM

This is a very informative thing to know... Question tho, how did 'we' learn that this is just a basic Honda factory pre-set reminder? Someone on the inside let it slip? ;P

But anyways thanks for the sticky, saved me from just being another noob.

gearbox 05-08-2005 12:49 AM

it's in the owners manual.

In Catalyst 05-08-2005 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by blackdragon
The engine light is like morse code or something. If u can read it, u could know what exactly its telling you. Mine started blinking 2 days ago and it blinked 10 times meaning something to do with my stock intake.

Whoa. How the **** did you figure that out?

*Mine started blinking the day I lowered my car on tien s-tech springs... I figured I jack something up. **My roomates started blinking after he install his Tsunami body kit, he assumed he clipped a wire or something. Guess i'll go try and count the flashes. Thats nuts...

Remigijus 05-18-2005 08:19 AM

My "maintenence required" light does not reset.
I'm not sure is it the same light I have a problem with. It is a small yallow engine simbol (reminding me a amall airplane :)
So, is this "maintenence required" light? It came on one day without blinking. Just came on and stayed on.
How the reset procedure is done?
Do I have to press the odometer button when the key is in the position where I can take it out? Do I have to start the engine while holding the button? Do I have to release the button before turning off the engine?