Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/328-electrical)
-   -   my turn signal stays on (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/328-electrical/127703-my-turn-signal-stays.html)

VNlilMAN 12-01-2003 12:24 PM

my turn signal stays on

My left turn signal stays constantly lit up when i have my headlights on. It doesnt blink, its just on.

When i have my headlights off, my turn signal blinks BUT my guages blink along with it.

This happened when i was switching lanes last night...

anyone know what i should check?

Voiceofid 12-01-2003 02:07 PM

what have you rewired recently?

VNlilMAN 12-01-2003 04:17 PM

nothing...
i havnt done anything to my car for atleast a year now...

VNlilMAN 12-01-2003 06:46 PM

can anyone check if there's a seperate fuse for it? i dont have my manual with me right now...

ImPulse 12-01-2003 07:04 PM

what do u mean by the turn signal light stays on? Blinking constantly? Or just staying on?

VNlilMAN 12-01-2003 07:15 PM

it just STAYS ON(doesnt blink). so when i signal left(with my headlights on) people dont know that i am cause its just lit up constantly

speedracersong 12-03-2003 01:28 AM

check your grounds!

same thing happened to me except it was on the left blinker and my a/c didnt work. try to find out where the ground is for the right blinker. for the left blinker and a/c, you have to take off your bumper and look on the passenger side under the bar and you'll see the wire.

i know theres another ground wire right smack in the middle of the engine frame right next to the radiator. try tighten that ish and see what happens.

good luck

VNlilMAN 12-03-2003 11:16 AM

how did you find it? just trace is back to the turn signal socket?
its possible thats what it is cause i hit a curb last week and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

speedracersong 12-03-2003 05:56 PM

i think you need to get a wiring diagram or something.

i just read some where that the left turnsignal and a/c is grounded by that wire.

rumpak 01-04-2010 01:53 AM

Re: my turn signal stays on

VNlilMAN I wonder if you fixed your turn signal problem. My problem looks exactly similar to you.

CraigW 01-04-2010 06:50 AM

The 1st thing I would check would be the front marker/turnsignal bulb on the problem side. It sound as if the filaments have somehow gotten together and the voltage is feeding back and forth between the 2 separate circuits. If not the bulb check the socket and then the ground.

gearbox 01-04-2010 01:38 PM

could also be the flasher relay finally gave up. just get EP34 tridon replacement flasher from the auto store.

rumpak 01-05-2010 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4451265)
could also be the flasher relay finally gave up. just get EP34 tridon replacement flasher from the auto store.

I unplugged the flasher relay today, but the left in-dash and outside turn light are still on along with the small/dash light. So, can this still be a relay problem?

gearbox 01-05-2010 01:10 AM

so the light is on all the time? is that only when using the signal? if its only when using the signal, then its the flasher relay. it should be off if you do not use the signal switch, otherwise you have a wiring issue or a broken switch.

rumpak 01-05-2010 03:42 AM

Yes, all the time when I turn the dash/small light on. Other thing fyi: if I turn the left turn signal without turning the dash/small light on, the whole dash/small lights turned on and blinked like hazard light.

Two days ago I checked on the fuses noticed that when I pull out the small light fuse, the left turn light went off along with the dash/small light. I tried to turn the turn signal on, both left and right, hoping that it'd work since I didn't pull the turn/hazard fuse out, but they didn't work.

CraigW 01-05-2010 06:28 AM

How the hell is a bad flasher going to effect the dash lights and marker lights ??? They are separate circuits. Don't waste your money on a flasher.

The only place they are close together is at the front bulbs. Check the FRONT BULB & SOCKET ON THE PROBLEM SIDE !! It has to be one or the other, if they are original bulbs (not high wattage) that is likely the problem.

gearbox 01-05-2010 12:23 PM

i thought he meant the dash light green turn arrow not the actual parking lights.

rumpak 01-09-2010 01:01 PM

CraigW, I just got the chance to check on my left turn light bulb, it's socket, and the ground. There were nothing wrong with them. Don't want to bring my car to the dealer and got ripped, but at the same time don't know what to do again. I wonder if VNlilMAN solved his problem.

CraigW 01-09-2010 01:08 PM

What happens if you take the problem side bulb out ??

Are the symptoms the same of change in any way after taking it out ??

TRIZ 01-09-2010 05:50 PM

If it doesnt click, its the relay.

If its a relay:
-It wont make the clicking sound your used to
-It will stay illuminated constantly when flicking left or right for blinkers, and pressing 4ways
-When the blinkers or 4ways arent on, they will not be illuminated.

rumpak 01-10-2010 12:27 AM

TRIZ, I've tested the relay, and it's fine.

CraigW, even when I took the front and back left turn light bulbs, the in-dash left turn light didn't go off.

CraigW 01-10-2010 08:40 AM

You somehow have voltage feeding from one circuit to another, parking lights to left turn signal. When you power one of the circuits it is providing voltage to the other circuit. The only place the 2 would be close together is in the front circuit (the rear turn signal bulb does not share a parking light,only the front)

The other thing you could try is to remove the connector from the front bulb socket to rule out the socket itself, and maybe provide a temporary ground.

If it is not associated with the front bulb... then somewhere in the run together for the 2 wires they are making contact with each other and feeding voltage back and forth.

Post up your info on the car and I will put some info together for you.

PuR 01-23-2011 07:04 PM

whats the current verdict?
I also noticed a few days ago my flasher started going crazy, my rear LF TL was out replaced it. All bulbs are good!!! car is stock 97 EX. when my flasher is turned on all lights blink normal.
blinker still blinks fast when lights are off and slower like one click when lights are on and slows down a little when I hit my brakes. any suggestions?

Alex519 01-26-2015 03:39 PM

I'm going through this same problem when I don't have my lights on my blinkers are ok, turn my lights on I have one green arrow pointing left, and when I look out my car in the back I have my brake lights and the turn signal on the driver side on. When I press the hazard lights it looks like someone tried stealing my car the Brake lights flash to the rhythm of the hazards and the license plate light does as well! All the lights are normal looking (brightness wise) except the driver side turn signal is dim could that be the problem. help me ASAP if anyone here finds the answer

mikey1 01-26-2015 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Alex519 (Post 4678365)
I'm going through this same problem when I don't have my lights on my blinkers are ok, turn my lights on I have one green arrow pointing left, and when I look out my car in the back I have my brake lights and the turn signal on the driver side on. When I press the hazard lights it looks like someone tried stealing my car the Brake lights flash to the rhythm of the hazards and the license plate light does as well! All the lights are normal looking (brightness wise) except the driver side turn signal is dim could that be the problem. help me ASAP if anyone here finds the answer

its probably best to start your own thread,

seeing as this one is 4 years old :_doh:

Stock 99 01-26-2015 05:09 PM

Um, the thread is actually 12 years old with the last response about 4 years ago. The only member I see in this thread that's currently active is CraigW and he's already is helping this poster in another thread.

..just saying:shrug:

CraigW 01-27-2015 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Stock 99 (Post 4678369)
CraigW and he's already is helping this poster in another thread.

Nailed that one with the cheap led upgrade diagnosis.

My rear 194s have been changed to led.... but that's about it.

Rest are staying incandescent.

Th3b1gD 03-24-2017 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alex519 (Post 4678365)

did you get the problem fixed mate?

Tim Keith 11-24-2020 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Th3b1gD (Post 4721573)
did you get the problem fixed mate?

This is an old thread, but I have an old Honda with a new problem.

When the head lights are off the turn signals work normally - except when turning left, the dash cluster lights flash in unison with the left turn signal. The exterior turn signal bulbs actually flash.

When the headlights are on :
The left turn signal lights remain constant - doesn't blink ( does not matter which position the turn signal is in ). When selected, the right turn signal blinks normally but the left will remain constant ( lit but no flashing ).

I then swapped the left and right turn signal bulbs and the peculiar behavior swapped sides. So, it's a problem with the left bulb.