Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rev Limiting??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camodad.17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Rev Limiting??

So My car is a 2003 Ex and I had my motor rebuilt after it had died. I am now running into an issue of My motor being limited at 4000 rpms. I was wondering what the possible causes might be to this? I am very mechanically inclined and perform most my own work, but am limited since I don't have a lift or motor crane. So going back to my issue and question. I am wondering what causes the motor to limit out at 4000 rpms? I have a code for the V-tec solenoid so I'm wondering if this is the issue or if its due to lack of oil pressure as ive also read, or maybe something else is causing it? Help PLEASE
FYI this is my daily driver.
Old 10-24-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Rev Limiting??

Originally Posted by camodad.17
I am wondering what causes the motor to limit out at 4000 rpms? I have a code for the V-tec solenoid so I'm wondering if this is the issue or if its due to lack of oil pressure as ive also read, or maybe something else is causing it? Help PLEASE
FYI this is my daily driver.
What is the exact code(s)?
Vtec not working correctly can limit rpm's.
Low oil (check oil dipstick level) can affect oil supply to Vtec and limit rpm's
Old 10-24-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,166 Likes on 811 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rev Limiting??

The engine is in, what we like to call, limp mode. The ECU is protecting the engine from damage by changing the rev limiter to 4000rpm until you fix the problem. There are a good amount of CEL codes that'll do that, and you've found one.

Could be a number of problems. Could be oil level/pressure related. Could be VTEC solenoid related. Could be "something ate wires leading to the VTEC solenoid." What's the actual code thrown? I'm gonna venture a guess that it's P1253?