Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

timing belt woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra-medium is an unknown quantity at this point
timing belt woes

Well my new to me civic is in the shop. I had it a whole 3 weeks and I am 99% sure the timing belt snapped today. My civic has the 1.7 SOHC non-Vtec motor, which I have read is technically an interference engine but the pistons are curved so the valves won't hit them. I was in traffic and made a left turn when the light went green and started going up a slight hill the car was in 2nd gear about 3500 rpm suddenly bogged down, CEL came one, and would not rev. The trans downshifted to try and raise engine rpm's but no dice. I dropped it into neutral and the motor went to idle and then I coasted it off the road onto a side street. There weren't any other noises like the pistons slapping the valves , or any grinding or such, no smoke, no fluid leaks, but I did have a burning rubber smell. Called roadside service and had the car towed to the Honda dealer right before the service lane closed.

They have to fix the obd2 port because they said it did not have any power going to it when I had the car in last week for the airbag recalls. Once that's fixed, they can hook it up to read the codes and tell me exactly what needs fixing.

To top it off, I have only had the car for 3 weeks and was on the way to the DMV to do the tag and title work. I guess I'll be waiting on that to find out what the verdict is.
Old 06-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: timing belt woes

Originally Posted by Extra-medium
I have read is technically an interference engine but the pistons are curved so the valves won't hit them

they will hit,

odds are good you will need multiple valves replaced
Old 06-29-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

It wouldn't have kept idling in neutral if the belt snapped. Cam doesn't rotate, valves don't open, can't introduce fuel/air, can't compress it, no combustion.
Old 06-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

What is the code?
Old 06-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NDNV
What is the code?
dont think there is one,

the CEL probably came on when the engine stalled, which is normal
Old 06-29-2017
Registered!!

So Honda called and said they fixed the OBD2 port, a wire on the back of the port was pulled out or something, I can't remember their wording. I don't think they told me the code, but said it was a cam sensor (top dead center sensor). They said from what they can see with whatever covers off the motor, the timing belt looked fine, but recommended a replacement soon if I am not sure when it was done last. They said the total should be around $600. Once I get it back, I gotta start saving for the timing belt to be replaced.
Old 06-30-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,171 Likes on 815 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

no better time than now to start figuring out how to do stuff on your car. The D17 is easy af to work on.

Timing belt job from the dealer: 600+
DIY Timing belt job (including water pump, tensioner, accessory belts): prolly $150-200, depending on if you have AC or not, and you buy everything Honda OEM from hondaautomotiveparts.com. Also takes 6 hours out of your day. 8 if you're taking your time. I've done it in 3. I cheaped out on accessory belts and they haven't failed me yet. lol

TDC sensor.. $50 and a couple hours if you're milking your time?
Old 06-30-2017
Registered!!

I would love to do the repairs myself, but I live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow you to work on your car in the parking lot and we have nosey neighbors. I usually try to find the best deal for car repairs at a shop, but since I was in a pinch at the time I took it to the stealership. Honda quoted me $795 for the timing belt to be replaced, but when I get it done I know of a few shops around town that are around 300 cheaper. It's much better than my Mountaineer, I paid close to $3500 last year for the timing chains to be replaced since my tensioners were going.
Old 06-30-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,171 Likes on 815 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. I loathed when I lived in an apartment for that very reason. Also, because I only trust 4 people under the hood of my car, myself included in that figure