6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Upstream o2 sensor is awol...please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damname can only hope to improve
Upstream o2 sensor is awol...please help

I scanned my 97 civic dx and it showed me that the upstream o2 sensor is malfunctioning so i drove on down to advance to nab a new one. Before i went into the store i decided to check the sensor and wires before committing 70 bucks for a new one. Its unplugged! Great i might have saved myself some cash but NOOOOOOOOO! My luck isnt like that lol.

I CANT FIND THE OTHER END of the dang plug! Its gone...awol...missing in action. First thing i did was buy a haynes manual and look it up. You know what the book said? Follow the wire to the dang plug in!

Does anyone know where i can find the plug? I checked the whole area as far as the o2 sensor wire can reach but no plug in for it. A pic would help if someone has one. I would really appreciate it.

thanks
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Re: Upstream o2 sensor is awol...please help

anyone got any idea?
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

check on top of the trans area, it may have gotten ripped off or the wires may have been burnt through if it was touching the exhaust manifold. There should have been a clip that holds the wiring harness for it on the block just in front of the distributor area.
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

If the wires are burnt or broken off you have 2 options:

1. Get a pinout of the connector, get a connector from the salvage yard, and re-wire it. NOTE: Most salvage yards don't like you cutting the harness but, you can get ANY connector at Pick and Pull for $1.99. http://www.picknpull.com/default.aspx

2. Get a new harness and replace the old one. Again, P&P is the cheapest ($35.99 at the most). Or nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/

Post back with what you found, I'm curious now.
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

rewiring is what i want to do but i cant find where the other end of the plug goes into the harness at. if i had that info id be golden but without knowing where to look im screwed.

does anyone know where that wire goes into the harness at? can someone snap a pic of the location for me?
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

ok crisis averted i figured it out. looks like the car has been in a serious wreck and rebuilt at some point. the o2 sensor on the car now does not go to this civic. looks like they replaced that whole part where the sensor screws into. the sensor in it now has 1 wire coming off of it terminating to a small male plug with a single terminal inside. the confusing was because i was looking for the plug that fits that connector. the plug on the o2 sensor should be a largeish grey box with 6 male terminals and 2 wires leading into it from the looks of things.
Old 03-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^ Hey, at least you have your airbags- or do you?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4507336