General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

D-I-Y

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brklynboy is an unknown quantity at this point
D-I-Y

Being new to the import tuner scene, I just wanted to ask this question. Do most of you guys do your own modifications or do you go to a garage and get most of your stuff installed? Incidentally, I don't a have a garage environment that would facilitate me doing my own mods so how do you guys do it? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-21-2002
Giggity Giggity

Dakker is an unknown quantity at this point
depends on the mod and just how brave you really are I guess, some ppl rip all there stuff apart for painting interiors, some of us are worried about pulling off the bumper, just depends on the person I guess.

Personally I at least try to do the mod myself, if i can't then I got to the shop, i'm getting new springs soon and I'm going to do it myself I hope and I think thats pretty cool. Just depends on the person man.
Old 01-21-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, it depends on do u have the bravery or time to do it, or skills. i brought my car into a shop for all the car stereo wiring. but i did my own clearing of my headlights, but most of the stuff i did on my car(which isn't much) are done in a shop. but now we have a club, and the prez has a 7thgen, he has done a lot to his car, he cna help me a lot of stuff, indiglo pedals, strutbars, rims, etc...
Old 01-21-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Use my own garage. So far I've just done little stuff though. Installed a rear tie bar, fixed the front bumper (after bodyshop install), installed a short shift adapter, installed new spakers, install sound deadening material, change the oil and filter, yadda yadda yadda

Next up is a rather big upgrade; new cross-drilled/slotted rotors, new brake pads, and new brake fluid. Should be fun.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Got a friend who has the tools and likes to fix cars, too... use theirs! I have the environment, but I don't know everything. The last mod I did for my car envolved me driving at 3am on the highway. Let's just say... deer make bad hood ornaments at 75 MPH.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
ive only installed oem accessories so far. i did the splash guards and moon-roof visor in my driveway, and i did the spoiler in my girlfriends friends driveway since i had him help me with drilling the holes. i dont think im gonna do the oem fog lights myself, but i might try to get as much done as i can myself before i take it to a shop
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Cozmo is an unknown quantity at this point
i do as much as i can in my garage, but that aint much... so far i've installed my speakers, sub, and sound deadening (like grey) and a bunch of the OEM stuff like the body side moldings, splash guards, and wood grain interior. i replaced the black plastic door handles and mirrors on my LX with OEM painted ones. i also put an indiglo emblem on my trunk if that counts. wish i had installed my spoiler myself... i would have saved a bunch since my dealer raped me when they installed it.

i suggest doing what you have the necessary tools for. sometimes you can rent tools if you dont have them. i got a cat back system but had it installed by a garage since i wasnt confident enough to stick my body under my car on jack stands. call me chicken but im not about to get myself killed over mods. i have a set of eibach springs that im waiting to install after the winter and im going to the shop for that cuz i dont want to kill myself compressing the springs. Im not clumbsy or a clutz but im not about to stick my neck out to save a couple bucks. Ill save dough on the easy safe jobs.