General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Help me from theft

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AznTiger1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help me from theft

So heres what happens I go to a pary with my friends and I leave my car at his place. I ride with him there but I decided to leave my keys in his glove compartment because if I was unable to drive later he could make sure I stay that way. Well later that night we come out to his car and it was broken into and the guys that did it stole my keys. It was a really small party and only people we knew went. At first we thought it was just some idiots but later we found out that one of the credit cards that was in my friends wallet that was also stolen was used at a club that the party later moved to. Alright thats too much of a coincident. So somebody at the party probably did it and I know some of those asses that hate on me know where I live and what car I drive. I already change my house keys but what do I do about my car keys. I dont want them just to unlock my car with the key and remote and drive off and trash it. I was considering a wheel lock but people say they cut throught the wheel and move that **** any product recommendations? I cant go throught the hassle of losing my car. and cant afford to replace an alarm.

HELP ME OUT GUYS.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy another remote for your alarm. Then just have the alarm reset to the new remote.

You may also be able to go to the dealer and have them re-key your car.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm assuming you've notified the Police? I wouldn't worry too much about the car. Just tell the police your situation and let them use your car as bait. This way when and if the thieves come you will have them for everything else they stole too.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

AznTiger1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
What else other options do I have?
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Keet will become famous soon enough
The best device is your foot in their ***... you're just gonna have to do it vigilante style and plan your own setup, I bet the idiot responsible would do it again.
Around here you get these 13-17 year olds stealing and vandalizing cars, even _if_ the cops catch them there's no justice. Because they are minors they get a slap on the wrist. If you see a punk messing with your car and you're wondering if you should call the police or beat their heads in, go with the second choice.

Last edited by Keet; 01-07-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

vipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trusted
Originally Posted by tbaleno
Buy another remote for your alarm. Then just have the alarm reset to the new remote.

You may also be able to go to the dealer and have them re-key your car.
You forget, by having the keys to the car, the alarm is useless. All you need is the the keys and the valet switch to disarm the alarm. It might take you 10 seconds to disarm the alarm and drive away! I would go to the dealer and have the car re-keyed. It will be expensive. That is the only realy way to keep your car from geting jacked.

Even if you use an aftermarket lock of some sort (stearing wheel, brake) they can still open your car up and steal whatever is inside. You are going to have to hav it re-keyed and purchase a new alarm remote. Have that reprogramed and make sure that the old remotes are deleted from the alarm brain.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough
I dunno there was that device that latches on to the brake pedal that doesn't allow the brake to be depressed. This way they can't put the car into gear...not sure how well it works. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Advise to you is get the car keys reprogrammed at honda, now. Right now there able to take your car, but if you getit reprogrammed then they cant start the car. The only thing they could do is get into it. Also talk with the honda parts department about new lock cylinders, or call out a lock smith to get them redone.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

xgimmick will become famous soon enoughxgimmick will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by joe6680
I dunno there was that device that latches on to the brake pedal that doesn't allow the brake to be depressed. This way they can't put the car into gear...not sure how well it works. Just a suggestion.
yeah i have one of those, its pretty much a guarantee that they wont steal your car cause its 'cut proof and bulletproof etc.' but it doesnt guarantee that itll steal stuff from your car
Old 01-07-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
You can also buy a steering wheel that detaches. You just hit a button or two, and it pulls right off so nobody can drive off (unless they happen to have an extra steering wheel w/them.)

Just get some new keys and reprogram your ECU for them. Honda will do all that, tell them your situation and you dont want the old keys to be able to work.
Old 01-07-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Go get the alarm reprogrammed to a new controller. If the alarm is triggered, having the key won't help because it disables the starter. They would have to disable the alarm before the key would work.

Go get the brake pedal lock.
Old 01-07-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
What year is your car? The '01 and '02 don't have the magnetic strip and the lock and keys are really easy to replace and not to costly. If you have an '03 or newwer, you will need to reprogram the ECU, have new keys made (witch are about 40 bucks a piece) and a your remotes (if they are Honda) should be able to simply be reprogrammed. But with the later keys, the replacement lock are a bit pricey because only Honda uses the wave roller key style.
Old 01-07-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I don't care much for the brake pedal thing because I knew a guy that had one of those, and some broke into his car, started it and ran it with the brakes on, didn't get far, but ruined his motor.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

xgimmick will become famous soon enoughxgimmick will become famous soon enough
^^ the brake thing i have wont allow you to step on the brake pedal cause its being blocked. but i guess yeah, dude could try driving off without a brake and crash. you can try putting it around the clutch
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
01's have the transponders in them. My key has a transponder, the light goes on indicating the Immobilizer, my tech manual lists the circuits. All 7th gens have the immobilizer.

You can program out the stock remote, you can program out the lost key. They could still get in, but not drive it. New locks are almost 400 dollars. So that might be too much.
Old 01-07-2005

Originally Posted by rickinthescv
01's have the transponders in them. My key has a transponder, the light goes on indicating the Immobilizer, my tech manual lists the circuits. All 7th gens have the immobilizer.

You can program out the stock remote, you can program out the lost key. They could still get in, but not drive it. New locks are almost 400 dollars. So that might be too much.
Yeah, your right. I forgot the '03+ models just have the "roller-wave" as they call it, but they all have the immoblizer. It looks wierd and is very expensive to program and cut, but I guess any coded key is going to be expensive. On the other hand my Accord key $110 to replace, the key and remote are one, it's very handy but expensive to replace.

My grand mother had a safty thing added to her Camaro, you had to push some button under the car with your foot while unlocking the car, that might be a good idea. But that car was before keyless entery and all that, and I have no idea where she got it, but it really should be hard to fabricate if you take it to a good shop.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 01-07-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Bmkarr is an unknown quantity at this point
cheapest and best bet find the guy that did it before he tries to do anything otherwise your gonna be coughing up some cash to get the car secure. if you live @ home keep, it inside the garage. if you live in an apartment park it where there are video cameras. otherwise find the guy fast. good luck and sorry to hear about all that

or up the insurance and insure everything and hope he takes it and blows it up
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

vipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trusted
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gearbox
Go get the alarm reprogrammed to a new controller. If the alarm is triggered, having the key won't help because it disables the starter. They would have to disable the alarm before the key would work.

Go get the brake pedal lock.
Not to insult you but I already told everyone in an above post that the alarm is no longer an asset to keeping your car safe. NOT WHEN SOMEONE HAS THE KEY!!!!! The key and the valet switch will make the car start again and disable the alarm. Since most installers put the valet switch in plain view this is a false sense of security. Like I said I could have the alarm disarmed and started and driving away in 10 seconds. It is very simple.

There is no CHEAP alternative to this. You need the car re-keyed (new lock tumblers in the lock cylinder) and you need to have your old alarm remotes deleted from the programming. Then have a new remote programmed. This is the best way to do this.

I am using my best judgment from 5-6 years of professional car audio and alarm installation. I have seen this many times. It will probably cost you a few hundred dollars to do this right.
Old 01-07-2005

Originally Posted by ViperGTSR
There is no CHEAP alternative to this. You need the car re-keyed (new lock tumblers in the lock cylinder) and you need to have your old alarm remotes deleted from the programming. Then have a new remote programmed. This is the best way to do this.

I am using my best judgment from 5-6 years of professional car audio and alarm installation. I have seen this many times. It will probably cost you a few hundred dollars to do this right.
He's right. Changing the tumblers in the locks is the cheapest way to protectthe car, along with reprograming the remotes.
Old 01-07-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Oh sorry my alarm doesn't have a valet button for that obvious reason.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
The new keys are called sidewinder keys. And yes the 01 and up have the chip in the key.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
find them and beat them down fast.....or make a set up with the cops, like another party invite the same group over. they won't be able to resist doing it again and when they do the cops will bust them.
Old 01-07-2005
The Original F*ckin Angry Armenian

ArtIntown11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i would notify the cops as a member suggested therefore it is all nice and legal. The cops will know your car and will be ready and know what to exactly look for if it dissappears and that way god forbid those punks do anything, you warned the cops before hand its all legal on paper and insurance cant pinch anything on you or deny you of anything. Get the brake pedal lock, and re-key your car. No other way buddy. I trust nobody....oh btw after the cops catch em, i would shove their heads so far up their asses they would get a first hand experiece on the human gastro-intestinal cycle.
Old 01-07-2005
Premium Member

Also, you can't drive away the car with the brake pedal lock. The pedal must be depressed to put the car in gear.
Old 01-07-2005
The Original F*ckin Angry Armenian

ArtIntown11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
^^^^^ Bingo