Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Racing on Highway Florida

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I <3 My EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Racing on Highway Florida

Ok today after school I'm on my way home and pull up to a friend at a red light in his mustang gt. When the light turns green we hit it until 50mph n stop. Speed limit is 45. We pull over down the road and get out of the cars. Next thing u know a cop pulls up without lights or anything. He then tells us he caught us racing. N that someone called about 2 cars racing. He asked if we saw him at the intersection and we didn't so we said no.

Anyways he has us there for an hour or more and writes us a criminal citation for racing. He also asked me if I was wearing a seatbelt and I said yes and her said he didn't see it ..I was out of the car before he turned on to the street we were o
n so how does he charge me for that... I was wearing a belt.
So when he writes me up he asks again about the belt and I said ya and he's like ok I'll let of slide but after he leaves I read the paper and it has the charge for not wearing a seatbelt also... I'm like wtf??

Even worse.. I get home and show my dad the citation and it had all his info.. his bday..license ..height etc..they charged him by accident. My dad then contacts the officer telling him how he mesed up and should just drop it for that huge mistskrt. He said that he could lose his job for going that..yada yada ... he then says he will try to help as best he can but he can't cancel the ticket because its all electronic n that he has to talk to his boss on the morning and see if he will drop it.
Can I get advice please? Will I have a good chance of getting out of this? Will they suspende my license? I live in Florida

By the way I'm 16 with only a speeding warning.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

Re: Racing on Highway Florida

By the way the cop is a rookie. Also there was some wheelspin and the cop didn't even have his lights on
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

Error
Old 05-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly will have to goto court and explain your side. the seatbelt would get thrown out, and since you were not really speeding, he shouldve just written you for "speed contest" which is not as bad as racing. you can argue in court that you werent speeding and you both were just driving together. if you pulled over and got out by the time he got behind you, he either didnt see anything or just saw two cars driving side by side and made assumptions. you have a good chance of winning. i dont think you would lose your license tho even if convicted.
Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
prolly will have to goto court and explain your side. the seatbelt would get thrown out, and since you were not really speeding, he shouldve just written you for "speed contest" which is not as bad as racing. you can argue in court that you werent speeding and you both were just driving together. if you pulled over and got out by the time he got behind you, he either didnt see anything or just saw two cars driving side by side and made assumptions. you have a good chance of winning. i dont think you would lose your license tho even if convicted.
Thanks a lot man. Your been so helpful. I'm hoping they'll completely drop it since the cop made the huge mistake of writing the ticket to my dad.
Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

update : Update: This morning the cop called my dad and said that he will be bringing me a new fixed citation to school. Anyways.. im in weights class and the school resource officer and the cop that got me came in my class and called me out and he was telling me how he fixed the citation and got rid of the old one.. so im like ok.. then hes like.. i need you to sign the new one... me not knowing any better signs it.. then i ask him whats gonna happen and court and stuff and hes like.. oh just tell the judge the truth and admit and tell him your sorry and you understand and he will most likely let you go without suspending your license.. 5 mins later my dad calls and tells me the lawyer said DO NOT SIGN the new citation.. it was too late. although, earlier when my dad talked to the cop on the phone he told him he doesnt want him to go around me, interrupt me at school or anything and we were suppose to meet after school but instead he went and got me to sign it.
Old 05-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nah you still had to sign the new one or he could arrest you. its not an admission of guilt, only that you promise to show up at court.
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you ****ed your word against a cop yeah. lol i see you removed your youtube racing video don't want to incriminate yourself.