Engine Performance Modifications Post your questions about how to modify your engine here Swaps, Flashing, bolt-ons, etc.

I have a 05 civic ex sohc was wanting to know if itd be better to just build or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbytuner is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 05 civic ex sohc was wanting to know if itd be better to just build or swap?

I recently bought a 2005 civic ex it has 109xxx on list traveled across country in it but I was wanting to know if it would be better to rebuild the motor in in and have work done to it or would swapping it be better? If swapping it would be better what engine?

Last edited by newbytuner; 02-16-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: I have a 05 civic ex sohc was wanting to know if itd be better to just build or s

What are your plans? More power or just a relaible stock daily? 109k miles is not a lot to keep it stock and just drive it. If you want more power how much? Budget? Forced induction or NA?

Ton's of info on the D17 and alernate engine replacements, search.
Old 02-17-2019
Registered!!

Re: I have a 05 civic ex sohc was wanting to know if itd be better to just build or s

It's my daily and I would like to get it to push about 200 to 250 if I can I want to keep it NA and I'm not to worried about the budget I can always just save. I want it to be a little more fun to drive
Old 02-17-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Only way you're going to accomplish that is by k swapping it. Better off buying an rsx, if you buy a wrecked/rotted one you could swap that into your car
Old 02-17-2019
Registered!!

Would I have to swap the tranny too?
Old 02-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

What is wrong with the engine? You didn't mention any trouble? I am curious as to why you would want to do what you say without any existing symptoms.
Old 02-17-2019
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
Only way you're going to accomplish that is by k swapping it. Better off buying an rsx, if you buy a wrecked/rotted one you could swap that into your car
Yes...thats True. Many great 4cyl vehicles to consider trading that can outperform many V8's for newbytuner if Performance is what hes looking for, You spend more $ on getting One of these but You also gain more power. i would look at vehicles like a honda 2000 or a civic type R , or the "subaru wrx sti with the Legendary all wheel drive" that all wheel drive from subaru is One of the Best in its class that Subaru makes. and has done so well in Rally's all over the world." or even a "VW Golf R" are another prime example of a small car 4cyl eng with 292 HP..! these are 4cyl engine cars with plenty of power and still return decent gas mileage unlike the grumble of thirsty V8 and return good reliability neon however i would stay away from it. "Just because its not a reliable car that i would choose." pics and specs below.!

https://www.hotcars.com/4-cylinder-cars-no-v8-can-keep-up-with/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

Last edited by brags; 02-17-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: soory for the double post
Old 02-17-2019

Yes...thats True. Many great 4cyl vehicles to consider trading that can outperform many V8's for newbytuner if Performance is what hes looking for, You spend more $ on getting One of these but You also gain more power. i would look at vehicles like a honda 2000 or a civic type R , or the "subaru wrx sti with the Legendary all wheel drive" that all wheel drive from subaru is One of the Best in its class that Subaru makes. and has done so well in Rally's all over the world." or even a "VW Golf R" are another

prime example of a small car 4cyl eng with 292 HP..! these are 4cyl engine cars with plenty of power and still return decent gas mileage unlike the grumble of thirsty V8 and return good reliability neon however i would stay away from it. "Just because its not a reliable car that i would choose." pics and specs below.!

https://www.hotcars.com/4-cylinder-c...edium=referral
Old 02-17-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by guitarsnlikker
What is wrong with the engine? You didn't mention any trouble? I am curious as to why you would want to do what you say without any existing symptoms.
There is nothing wrong with it right now it tried to over heat a couple of times but I figured that one out i just want something that is a little faster more fun to drive actually wants to pull when I get on the pedal
Old 02-17-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by newbytuner
Would I have to swap the tranny too?
...yes
Old 02-17-2019
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

brags says newbytuner trade it for a new car. hey man its a 2005 civic. i no a few friends that still drive there old honda's and acura. at that age. im sure anyone can find a used engine and transmission in good working shape for a 2005 civic some wreckers around my area give you waranty on there used parts! even after instal. so my argument holds truth. get your parts used. hey".. still a hole lot cheaper than what brags posted to look at buying come on..
Old 02-17-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It's my daily and I would like to get it to push about 200 to 250 if I can I want to keep it NA and I'm not to worried about the budget I can always just save. I want it to be a little more fun to drive
On the D17 200Hp will be difficult to obtain NA (if its even possible). It is built for economy. Boost you can get over 200 with it. Best thing to do if you want to stay NA is buy a k20 from a wrecked RSX like stated. 180-200 NA horsepower. It is not cheap but pretty "plug n play". There is even a K swap guide on Google.

Make it handle like a go cart and it will be fun and still get 30mpg and be reliable.

Originally Posted by brags
honda 2000 or a civic type R , or the "subaru wrx sti with the Legendary all wheel drive" that all wheel drive from subaru is One of the Best in its class that Subaru makes. and has done so well in Rally's all over the world." or even a "VW Golf R" are another
Those cars used are 25K+ !?! Plus if OP is under the age 25 insurance will be crazy (and that's if you are still on your parents insurance).

Many of those cars are not faster then V8's stock. The V8's of the 90's and 2000's sure but today's Mustang's and Camaro are packing big power for a great price. The big 3 offer great HP per dollar values. 2016 Mustang GT has 435 from the factory.

Honda has one of the best platforms for cheap power it just takes some time under the hood! Yea you can build a 10 sec Honda for alot cheaper then a Dodge Demon but its going to take some blood, sweat and tears.
Old 02-17-2019

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
brags says newbytuner trade it for a new car. hey man its a 2005 civic. i no a few friends that still drive there old honda's and acura. at that age. im sure anyone can find a used engine and transmission in good working shape for a 2005 civic some wreckers around my area give you waranty on there used parts! even after instal. so my argument holds truth. get your parts used. hey".. still a hole lot cheaper than what brags posted to look at buying come on..

Nothing wrong with useing a used Part on a Older vehicle. "But... were not talking about cheap common everyday parts like a used Electrical window motor with regulater" to operate the Drivers side Power window that stoped working for me. and costed me $30.00 dollars used to buy and install Myself and testing it hooked up at the door to find out oh yes it works... like i had to. on my previous Murano. get it.? when Your talking about replacing the "Engine and Transmission on a 2005 civic ? thats serious big stuff. if we were talk-ing new remanufactred. with clean like new Components being used then fine...! i get that... because now Your takeing out the mystery on how

well the components were mantained on a used vs buying new remanufactured One right.?... get it.?? But this is not the case here. were talking about useing a used Mystery engine & transmission components out from a Junk/scrap Yard" having no idea of what shape or how well or poorly the component was mantained in that case its a very serious decision and judgment call for one to make on a used engine/transmission for a 2005. me... Personaly? i would not risk that. especially on 2005 vehicle i would trade it in or sell it. and rather get a Good Used vehicle thats working up to my standards.rather than throw parts at it. because at the end of the day its still a used 2005 vehicle. thats Just getting older by the Year.

Last edited by brags; 02-17-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2019

Originally Posted by GolNat
On the D17 200Hp will be difficult to obtain NA (if its even possible). It is built for economy. Boost you can get over 200 with it. Best thing to do if you want to stay NA is buy a k20 from a wrecked RSX like stated. 180-200 NA horsepower. It is not cheap but pretty "plug n play". There is even a K swap guide on Google.

Make it handle like a go cart and it will be fun and still get 30mpg and be reliable.

Those cars used are 25K+ !?! Plus if OP is under the age 25 insurance will be crazy (and that's if you are still on your parents insurance).

Many of those cars are not faster then V8's stock. The V8's of the 90's and 2000's sure but today's Mustang's and Camaro are packing big power for a great price. The big 3 offer great HP per dollar values. 2016 Mustang GT has 435 from the factory.

Honda has one of the best platforms for cheap power it just takes some time under the hood! Yea you can build a 10 sec Honda for alot cheaper then a Dodge Demon but its going to take some blood, sweat and tears.
Hey there Golnat i read Your post 10 second Hondas...hey? Im 49 Years of age to date. when i 1st started driving cars i was about 17 Years old i drove dads automatic V6 1977 Pontiac Ventura with only 105 hp & rear wheel drive. for a 17 year old kid at 1st it was fun and freedom for the 1st 2 years then. i bought my very own 86 Honda Prelude 2.0 Liter Special Edition 110 hp 5 speed 2 door liteweight Only options equiped were moonroof , 4 wheel disc brakes all around that could stop on a dime and give

You back 5 cents change LOL, & aluminium rims, with MPF fuel injection. had a lot of fun in that car to drive at that time for me.the 5 speed was a blast to drive back in the day. nowadays i hear kids wanting no less than 3-4 digit HP"s vehicles. i can understand 200hp"s or so but on a 4 cylinder anymore than that is unecesary as a daily commuter car.
Old 02-17-2019
Registered!!

Yes...thats True. Many great 4cyl vehicles to consider trading that can outperform many V8's for newbytuner if Performance is what hes looking for, You spend more $ on getting One of these but You also gain more power. i would look at vehicles like a honda 2000 or a civic type R , or the "subaru wrx sti with the Legendary all wheel drive" that all wheel drive from subaru is One of the Best in its class that Subaru makes. and has done so well in Rally's all over the world." or even a "VW Golf R" are another prime example of a small car 4cyl eng with 292 HP..! these are 4cyl engine cars with plenty of power and still return decent gas mileage unlike the grumble of thirsty V8 and return good reliability neon however i would stay away from it. "Just because its not a reliable car that i would choose." pics and specs below.!

https://www.hotcars.com/4-cylinder-c...edium=referral
I definitely dont want to get another vehicle. I could've gotten one of those other vehicles that you listed but I bout the honda so I could have a project and do a lot of the work to it myself.
Old 02-23-2019

I definitely dont want to get another vehicle. I could've gotten one of those other vehicles that you listed but I bout the honda so I could have a project and do a lot of the work to it myself.
Correct me if im wrong but Your 2005 EX im pretty sure is a 1,7L engine i Once owned a 1.5 95 Civic LX with a measlly 102 h.p great on gas i would of never imagined that same 1.5 Liter nowadays with the Aid of knowledgeable tech"s & Performance Parts coupled with turbo charging & fine tuning the engine running on E85 producing an astounding 500 hp! & beating a Dodge Viper.? Yes power - to - weight - ratio wins in this battle all the time. lol. amazing what they can do with a 90"s 1.5 Liter Civic noway days Mind You its a Fun car Not a Reliable One For the Long Haul. lol

Old 02-23-2019

This has nothing to do with the original post....
Old 02-23-2019

This has nothing to do with the original post....
Sure it does... mind You video i posted is a litlle blown out of pro-portion... but can be done. if he wants more than 250 hp? i was describing the extreme extent of a project car build. that someone might want to acomplish that the guy in video has done already from parts, Turbo, & running on E85 & fine tunning ecm.. heq! on my own 8th gen alone i added an additional 22 HP from simple add ons and fine tunning ECM.
Old 02-24-2019
Registered!!

Sure it does... mind You video i posted is a litlle blown out of pro-portion... but can be done. if he wants more than 250 hp? i was describing the extreme extent of a project car build. that someone might want to acomplish that the guy in video has done already from parts, Turbo, & running on E85 & fine tunning ecm.. heq! on my own 8th gen alone i added an additional 22 HP from simple add ons and fine tunning ECM.
oooh.. 500 hp! on a civic." YES extreme nice video though. what kind of add on"s.? & ecm tunning were done on yours..??
Old 02-24-2019

Soory Im not about to Just reveal it that easy, it took me alot of researching and digging & making sure all changes complyed with all federal emmision standards as well to get 22 H.P. out of my 8th gen Civic sedan. i will say however its not difficult research it Yourself. feells nice when i can hit the Gas & Pull away from a stock 8th gen Civic like mine On the road. LOL
Old 02-24-2019
Registered!!

Soory Im not about to Just reveal it that easy, it took me alot of researching and digging & making sure all changes complyed with all federal emmision standards as well to get 22 H.P. out of my 8th gen Civic sedan. i will say however its not difficult research it Yourself. feells nice when i can hit the Gas & Pull away from a stock 8th gen Civic like mine On the road. LOL
pffft really..? i thought the purpose of this forum was to solve issues and inform one another on topics we post.??
Old 02-24-2019

I want to see a dyno sheet with this magical 22hp increase