Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

buying a already turbo'd car not always a good idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boosted01civic will become famous soon enough
buying a already turbo'd car not always a good idea

well you guys may have seen some of my questions on here but I will keep a post going on here with some progress notes as some of it may be useful to someone.
I bought my car with a Greddy T4 turbo already on it and didn't spend a whole lot of time looking into car. Well the car has had a couple issues,1. the gauges were wired with cat 5 phone line and caught fire, 2. oil pressure gauge wire with an extension cord and wires cut and tucked into fender well, 3. chunk broken off ECU, 4. no fuel or ignition management on car for turbo, 5. all boost lines and vacuum lines were ran with household water lines and were melting, 6. wastegate vacuum and fuel pressure vacuums hooked into themselves, 7. no actual vacuum line being pulled, 8. aftermarket gauges installed incorrectly, and 9. radiator fan hooked into headlight switch because the relay went bad.
Old 01-04-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: buying a already turbo'd car not always a good idea

ewwww. post up pixs and progress of the fixing.
Old 01-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Never buy a modified car without a list of receipts, a major mechanical inspection and a pocket full of cash to fix any potential problems.
Old 01-04-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

hopefully it will run a lot better when you fix it up =D
Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

i have fixed all wiring except the oil pressure gauge, i bought a sandwich plate to relocate the sensor, and the radiator fan, and I have fixed all of the vacuum lines. I have ordered an AEM F/IC and the extension harness and am waiting on it to come in. I have also learned that on the Civic when trying to install a boost gauge the best place to put your port is after the throttle body becaue it will not pull correct vacuum before throttle body.
Old 01-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like a disaster!
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

PacosTacos88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lmao. Did MacGuyver own this car before you? Were the headlights held on by duct tape and paper clips by chance?
Old 01-05-2011
Banned

Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Hahaha this is priceless. Your sure the turbo isn't a hamster on a wheel?
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you inspect or drive the car before hand? Something must have given you a clue that the car wasn't right? I hope you can get it all fixed and not have to spend a ton of money .
Old 01-05-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good lord, good luck, buddy...
At least you seem to know how to diagnose most of the stuff.
The other guy that did it on the 6th gen (or was 1-5th?) did not, and was in much worse situation than you...
good luck! how did the ECU go? got a new one?
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the support. sdaidoji the ecu turned out to be a new motherboard in an old housing. This is my first turbo car and has been a nightmare for sure but have always wanted one. Not to mention this is my first Honda. I drove the car a little but it drove fine. The car was actually not getting any boost before it just had a turbo on it and was hooked up but had so many leaks it was the worlds first NA turbo'd car lol. I am now having a little issue with the boost.
I got all boost and vacuum leaks fixed but now when the car is started I am pulling 20 in/hg vacuum which is good but when I rev it the highest the gauge goes is to 0. Since this is my first turbo do you have to be driving the car for the boost gauge to really show up?
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

b0ssman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by boosted01civic
Thanks for the support. sdaidoji the ecu turned out to be a new motherboard in an old housing. This is my first turbo car and has been a nightmare for sure but have always wanted one. Not to mention this is my first Honda. I drove the car a little but it drove fine. The car was actually not getting any boost before it just had a turbo on it and was hooked up but had so many leaks it was the worlds first NA turbo'd car lol. I am now having a little issue with the boost.
I got all boost and vacuum leaks fixed but now when the car is started I am pulling 20 in/hg vacuum which is good but when I rev it the highest the gauge goes is to 0. Since this is my first turbo do you have to be driving the car for the boost gauge to really show up?
so you are revving the car while it's motionless and it's not building boost?If that's the case then yes,that is normal as there is no load on the engine.As an experiment you can leave the E-brake engaged and put it in gear and slowly release the clutch till it starts to grab and the engine loads(but not so much that the car stalls or moves).You SHOULD see positive boost.If not then try a short drive and give the throttle a quick stab to see if it will go into boost.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

I will try that. A friend of mine that has a turbo civic says that he thinks my waste gate spring is bad. He said it shouldn't cost but a couple bucks to fix it so even if that isn't the problem at least I will know that is one problem I don't have to worry about. Anybody know how to find out which one to order or where best place to get one?
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

Hit 8 psi tonight. Still want to replace the spring it was kind of hit or miss on the boost and I know that there are no leaks. I am afraid to drive it too hard or too long until I get my F/IC on there. Dont want go BOOM.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

yeabmx is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like ur taking something someone threw together and making it nice. congrats on the boosted civic and the positive fixes!
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

agreed....
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

1. the gauges were wired with cat 5 phone line and caught fire, rofl
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

good luck all the way man....that cat5 wire and house hold water lines is crazy.
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

how worthwhile is it to put a vtec head on it? or how do i know if i have one already?
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

when I put in bigger injectors say 525cc do i have to replace the fuel pump? I want to put in a walbro but I think I saw that you have to install a return line.
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

how worthwhile is it to put a vtec head on it? or how do i know if i have one already?
What engine is in it now? A big hint it's a Vtec head is it would have a vtec solenoid and an audible vtec "pop" as you go into the higher rpm's.
when I put in bigger injectors say 525cc do i have to replace the fuel pump? I want to put in a walbro but I think I saw that you have to install a return line.
I don't think you HAVE to,but it's a good idea,otherwise the fuel pump becomes your bottleneck rather than your injectors.I've never heard of anyone having to run a return line with a walbro before,i know us 8th gen guys don't have to,but it could be different on your chassis /engine.
Old 01-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by b0ssman
I don't think you HAVE to,but it's a good idea,otherwise the fuel pump becomes your bottleneck rather than your injectors.I've never heard of anyone having to run a return line with a walbro before,i know us 8th gen guys don't have to,but it could be different on your chassis /engine.
Good advice on the bottleneck, fuel pumps are cheap and they absolutely will restrict the flow once you install larger injectors.

7g does not have a return line.

Install DIY here =>https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...bro-255-a.html
Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

Ok so the 7th gen does not require a return line if i am reading correctly. Also I have never had the car above 4500 RPM and the valve cover is not stock and everything under hood has been covered in wire loom. andpaint.
Old 01-07-2011

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Ok so the 7th gen does not require a return line if i am reading correctly. Also I have never had the car above 4500 RPM and the valve cover is not stock and everything under hood has been covered in wire loom. andpaint.
sounds like my engine, but no rat's nest of wires in mine.
Old 01-07-2011

well couldn't find a pic on google showing where the solenoid was so you're lucky i felt like going out to my car, lol.

here's where it is, behind the head... look it's my white throttle body =D, can't believe i havn'e painted the solenoid yet, lol.

and here's what it looks like.

if you have one it's a d17a2 with the vtec head, if not it's a d17a1 non-vtec.
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

ok I will look for it later. I removed the extension cord last night to discover that the oil pan gasket is leaking a little. I am not really worried about the head on the car as I found a receipt in the car from a local performance shop where they put new intake, exhaust and head gaskets on and rebuilt the head. So at least that is 1 positive.
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

Just looked. No VTEC solenoid.
Old 01-08-2011

you'r turboed so it doesn't matter, you'll be faster then all the stock d17a2's out there.
Old 01-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Just looked. No VTEC solenoid.
You'll need to head swap if you want to put cams in, which you should, but it's a pretty simple and inexpensive mod.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

How many people have changed their oil pan gasket? Is it pretty hard or something I can do with some jackstands and hand tools? I am decently handy but nervous about just tearing into it without a heads up.

Quick Reply: buying a already turbo'd car not always a good idea