Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

tapping noise..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edrulz2003 will become famous soon enough
tapping noise..HELP

ok guys i raced a new GTI today and when i finished the race i started hearing this tapping noise...i thought it was a rocker tapping or something of that sort..i hit redline at around 8100 rpm when i raced but can you guys tell me what this is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14IhyOh8Ak

after i thought maybe it needs oil i drove it around for a little and the sound just got louder and louder..plz help guys

Last edited by edrulz2003; 02-28-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: video not uploading
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

Skylar1692 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: tapping noise..HELP

yea, sounds like your tapping or something got sucked into a cylinder. Pull the plugs and check to see if there is any piston damage. Best bet would be to pull the valve cover and rest the valve clearance. It doesn't take much to bend a valve. Let me know what you find.

Video link...

http://www.youtube.com/v/u14IhyOh8Ak
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

question 1) did u beat the new GTI and how bad? lol

2) it sounds like u need to tune it or valve adjustment ... the engine is like putputput.. and stalls .. have u tuned her?
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

1. lol no the GTI had a head start put i was pulling on it though...

2. no i never tuned the car since i done the swap and thats been a year now..
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

uh ohhh.......take your valve cover off and assess theeee damage. also, are you running on a PRB ECU or a k-pro ecu calibration? if you're just running one of the base maps on k-pro, you definitely shouldn't be taking it to 8100 rpm.
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

thats what i was gonna do but its gettin dark outside so i wont be able to see what wrong really...

im running k pro and just used one of the calibrations that the software comes with

Last edited by edrulz2003; 02-28-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

i'd highly recommend not driving it until you figure out what's wrong. redline is 8200rpm so i don't think it would be an over-revving issue..but then again on just a base map things could mess up.

also, try to isolate the sound the best you can. is it something that you're for sure sounds like it's in the head, or is it something that sounds like it could possibly be in the bottom end? i've got my own opinions on what it is but we'll see what others say first. hoping for the least damage for you man.

Last edited by beadebaserr; 02-28-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

no i didnt hit the rev limiter, the rev limiter on a k20 is like 8500 rpm...usually when i race my car i shift at 8000 rpm but this time i delayed shifting a lil....and i dont plan on running it to i can get it to a shop
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

well thanks bro...i can feel the tap on the head so im almost postive its the head...maybe a rocker, valve tap or bent valve...im hoping the best but we will see
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

come on guys anymore info
Old 02-28-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Just pull the valve cover. Then take a pic
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold

If you pull the valve cover check the valve lash for proper gap. Also you can pull the plugs out and inspect to see if theyre close to the same in color. The should be all greyish tan. Another thing to do is a compression check using a compression tester to see if the compression falls within range. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

you guys dont think its a spun bearing do u....well i will be away for 2 weeks so thats when i will take the valve cover off and look...i hope its not a spun bearing..
Old 02-29-2008

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

a spun bearing would be more of a harsh knocking sound like someones trying to get out...

a bad valve usually means more of a tapping.. usually
Old 02-29-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have to listen to the vid when I get home tonight, but regardless you need to pull the valve cover like everyone said and move the cylinder through TDC on each cylinder to make sure your valve train is a) on the rock when it's supposed to be and b) has the correct amount of lash (space between the rocker and valve stem when it's on the rock).
Old 02-29-2008
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

Piston slap.
same thing happend to me but i wasnt racing. the car would still run fine but it is only going to get much worse. i actual drove mine around for like three weeks before i bit the bullet and pulled the engine. in fact the engine is being built right now because of it.
i hoped it was the head because thats where it sounded like it was coming from. it wasnt
Old 02-29-2008

Ouch, yeah. That's piston slap. on a valve. Pull the valve cover off. You may have dropped a valve. Ain't good man.
Old 02-29-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

how does that happen? cant the engine take the high rpms?
Old 02-29-2008

Fault in the metal of the spring, the valve stem, improper valve lash, a mis-shift - all of these could cause a valve to drop.
Old 02-29-2008
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a compression tester, theyre like 20 bucks. That will tell you what cylinder to look at for problems. Then pull the valve cover.
Old 03-01-2008
Registered!!

ok guys i took the valve cover off and really didn't see anything out of the ordinary....heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3787.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	73740  

Last edited by edrulz2003; 03-01-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2008
Registered!!

more pics...i really think the problem is in the bottom end
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	valvecover.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	73741   Click image for larger version

Name:	valvecover2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	73742  
Old 03-01-2008
Registered!!

thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough

maybe timing skipped a tooth
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

ok guys so i hope its not something major cause if it is i might as well ge a k24 bottom end and just start my k24/20 build cause it will probally be cheaper.what do u guys think
Old 03-02-2008

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

put your motor at TDC... the lift each rocker to see the gap between the rocker and the cam... if theres a big gap then you got a problem.. or if you want to go to auto zone and get a feeler gauge
Old 03-02-2008

u need to take a closer look of each one..

like this..........

inspect each of theose screws with those flat head slots on top.. make sure there all the same length.. and none of them are loose.. if not just take closer pics of each lobe both intake and exhaust side
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

i checked those screws like u said "x" and there all tight and all..i also started it again to see if i can hear and feel for the tapping and i still think its the head somewhere...well anyways its goin to a performance shop tomorrow and if its a lot of damage im just gonna do a k24/20 swap
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah thats a bad sound. If you dropped a valve you'd have lunched the motor entirely. Most likely its probably from motor being run low on oil. It doesnt take much to smoke a k20 top end. More than a 1/2 quart low at 8000rpms+ can make em sound like that. The top end is the first to go, starts with valve guides and goes from there. Once a guide wears it lets the valve move all over the place and more damage is done. Not to mention that if there is slop, that means more clearance, lower oil pressure and progressively more problems. I bet if you do a compression test you'll find a #3 or #4 cyl is reading low. It would only be a lower end rap if you had extreme detonation or like 1.5+ quarts low, but most likely you'd lock up the motor before you pounded the bearings out at that point. A broken ring land or two dont usually make much harsh noise, generally the engine just runs lumpy as all hell if its running. You are looking at spending some cashola to get rid of that noise. K20 = $$$$$$ Let us know how you make out. I think its in the head, probably a bent valve but its hard to tell from a video.
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

ok guys i took the car to my mechanic and he's sayin from the sound of it, its a broken rod...tomorrow morning he's takin the oil pan off to see if his assumption is correct...

my question to you guys is...if its the bottom end do you think i should get a k24 bottom end of try to fix the bottom end i got now...
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Take it to another mechanic! If it were a broken rod youd be having serious issues. If a rod in that thing snapped you'd be picking up peices of that block off the road. That guy is trying to scam you!!!

Quick Reply: tapping noise..HELP