Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

KPro and o2 sensors? WTF? Learn how it all works...

Old 03-09-2008
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
Re: KPro and o2 sensors? WTF? Learn how it all works...

the k series crv uses a primary o2. i should know, i have one in my vic. its a wide band o2
Old 03-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

I bought the 04 DX. I've already depinned it, anyone have the wiring info offhand?
Old 03-10-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

I just want to clarify this before I buy the sensor, the 04 dx o2 sensor will work for a k24/Kpro combo
Old 03-10-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xproductionz
Thats misleading info right there
How? Any 02+ Honda factory air fuel/wideband sensor (even though you SAY it isn't a TRUE wideband) should read on the same scale. If you think that's misleading, take it up with Doug at Hondata. I spoke with him at length about this many times.

And FYI, if you attempt this wiring conversion, you do so at your own risk. Hondata does not advertise this to work, only what they have posted on their site.

I have a wiring schematics diagram at home somewhere, I think. Rufus, pm me your aim name and we'll talk about it further. This thread keeps getting hijacked, just like all threads on this forum.

Last edited by andyman97; 03-10-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sniperscout
I just want to clarify this before I buy the sensor, the 04 dx o2 sensor will work for a k24/Kpro combo
Straight from Hondata's site:

General Notes

All 2004-2005 Civics and the 2001-2003 Civic HX use a compatible wideband 02 sensor. Two wires need to be moved for rear O2 operation.
The 2001-2003 Civic DX, LX & EX Civics use a narrowband 02 sensor. Two wires need to be moved for closed loop operation.
If you plan a K engine swap, install the appropriate engine harness and switch on VTC in the KManager software.
Tables may be map-traced in real time.
The K-Pro ECU is not real-time updateable, however most changes to tables and settings can be uploaded in 1-2 seconds via USB.
Most OBDII features may be disabled for race vehicles.
The D17 knock sensor is incompatible with the K-Pro and must be disabled in the KManager software.
Error codes and the OBDII readiness status may be datalogged.
The K-Pro ECU can be matched to the Civic immobilizer system. See here for details.
For training materials see here.
Old 03-10-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

thanks rufus
Old 03-10-2008

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

Originally Posted by andyman97
How? Any 02+ Honda factory air fuel/wideband sensor (even though you SAY it isn't a TRUE wideband) should read on the same scale. If you think that's misleading, take it up with Doug at Hondata. I spoke with him at length about this many times.

And FYI, if you attempt this wiring conversion, you do so at your own risk. Hondata does not advertise this to work, only what they have posted on their site.

I have a wiring schematics diagram at home somewhere, I think. Rufus, pm me your aim name and we'll talk about it further. This thread keeps getting hijacked, just like all threads on this forum.
thats misleading because if you look at your original post you stated

"Originally Posted by andyman97
Any Honda air fuel sensor. Cheapest are from 04-05 civic dx."

Now in this post you say any 02+... thats why i say your original post was misleading.

If you want plug a plug and play o2 sensor you need to stick with the wideband type sensor hence the 02-04 rsx etc......

Like RUFUS said..

All 2004-2005 Civics and the 2001-2003 Civic HX use a compatible wideband 02 sensor. Two wires need to be moved for rear O2 operation.
The 2001-2003 Civic DX, LX & EX Civics use a narrowband 02 sensor. Two wires need to be moved for closed loop operation.

These sensors still require some form of modification to work
Old 03-10-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

My bad for not laying out that pre 02 Hondas can't run on kpro so an oxygen sensor probably won't work either.

Ok, some more detailed info....

If you have an 01-05 HX or 04-05 Civic, you only need to repin the secondary wires IF you want to run obdII. You won't need to if you just want to run closed loop, BUT, do NOT use a PRA calibration for this setup, as you are running a wideband on the primary input for closed loop, not a narrowband on the secondary.

Last edited by andyman97; 03-10-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2008
Premium Member

I understand much better now. My question was one on repinning the PLUG, when in reality the bigger issue is the ECU.

Hondata has the following instructions on their site for repinning the ECU to run the PRA Calibration for 2001-2003 DX/LX/EX

"These Civics have a narrowband O2 sensor. The donor US ECUs (see above) are designed to run by default with a wideband front O2 sensor. So we use a European PRA calibration, which is designed to run with a front and rear narrowband O2 sensor, feed the voltage from the Civic's front O2 sensor into the K-Pro's rear O2 sensor input, and alter the K-Manager software to run closed loop from the secondary O2 input. In this situation OBD II must be disabled."

I did this and the the problem is that now it's not setup to run a wideband, so I have to figure out what's required in repinning the ECU to accept it as a wideband. Based on my map, the car already isn't running on a PRA calibration (yet it's been repinned to do so), but that doesn't mean it's set up to accept a wideband o2 from a plug and play perspective. Time to do some research. Thanks to Andyman97 for explaining.
Old 03-10-2008
Turbo Guru

Yeah, that's key, you have to know what map you're working off of.

If you are using a PRA map, you can't run a wideband for closed loop and you can't run lean protection.

If you aren't using a PRA map, you can't use a wideband for closed loop operation. You can wire in a factory wideband and use it for primary feedback and lean protection.