Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

K Pro D17 turbo test car

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: K Pro D17 turbo test car

Stop teasing lol. Were you there? I hope you guys got some videos at least.
Old 04-04-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

I wasn't there but hes been texting me ever time he has a jump in HP lol. But i promise you will all want hondata now! LOL
Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

I got a text too so you'll have to stay "tuned" haha.
Old 04-04-2007

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
I got a text too so you'll have to stay "tuned" haha.
They are good numbers huh!?

Andy you and I will race!
Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Id say so, hehe.
Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

So is it confirmed hondata > ems on the d17? I know you guys can't let the hat out of the bag yet but from what you've heard.
Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

Well its not really all about Hondata is better or not better than AEM. I know the numbers and I'm still sticking with my AEM reguardless of what anyone else is doing. Its really all what suits a person's needs. I have had no issues with my AEM and it seems to work perfect for my setup. I think mostly its just a matter of preference. An ECU is only as good as the person tuning it. Im not worried that my AEM wont make numbers, cause I know it will when I need it to. The convienience is that its probably cheaper to have tuned and there is less crap to go through initially on setup.
Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

Thankyou for clarifying that up.
Old 04-05-2007
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TransformedBG
Andy you and I will race!

Mmmmmm that'd be a good fight... Someone better post up a video or two...
Old 04-05-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Pssh, he knows he'll get pwn3d. May not be by much though, lol.
Old 04-05-2007
Registered!!

Hondata1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
. An ECU is only as good as the person tuning it.
There is actually a lot more to consider than just the person who is tuning an ECU.

The way Honda implement their maps and tuning for VTEC is better than pretty much all after market engine management systems.

For example, the Honda ECU contains completely separate fuel and ignition maps for both the low and high cam shaft. On the D17 That is two fuel maps, and two ignition maps, one for each cam profile. On the K series engine, there are 12 fuel and ignition maps, one for each cam angle from 0-50 degrees.

The reason for the multiple maps is refinement and power. There is more of the powerband mapped for all possible conditions.

An example of this is what we call a VTEC window. At 2400 rpm for example, you can be on the high or low cam depending in throttle position. At partial throttle you will be on the low cam, with ignition and fueling to suit. At full throttle you will switch to the high cam with different ignition and fuel settings.

More behind the scenes stuff you do not get to see is reliability. The Honda ECU runs two microprocessors. Should the main processor fail, the secondary one take over.

Error checking. The stock ECU has a very comprehensive error checking system to determine when sensors are out of range or faulty. The stock ECU has sensor learning, where it will adapt to the noise you get on the crank and cam sensor lines.

Dig deeper still and you will find a lot of differences. Honda have probably spend more money and R&D time on just getting their cars to start first turn of the key and idle smoothly than most companies have in developing their entire engine management systems.
Old 04-05-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

These are exactly some of the features that I like so much about kpro. You aren't chasing ghosts the way you do with aem. Its much more user friednly, imo, and there are alot more safety nets you can set up with the kpro to prevent engine damage. You guys do great work!
Old 04-05-2007

Originally Posted by andyman97
Pssh, he knows he'll get pwn3d. May not be by much though, lol.
I dont know but i know it will be a good match!
Old 04-05-2007
Turbo Guru

Haha, yeah it will. I was jfwy dude.
Old 04-05-2007
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

My money's on Glen.
Old 04-05-2007

Originally Posted by Unevolved
My money's on Glen.

I dont know..Its going to be a race.
Old 04-10-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hondata1
There is actually a lot more to consider than just the person who is tuning an ECU.

The way Honda implement their maps and tuning for VTEC is better than pretty much all after market engine management systems.

For example, the Honda ECU contains completely separate fuel and ignition maps for both the low and high cam shaft. On the D17 That is two fuel maps, and two ignition maps, one for each cam profile. On the K series engine, there are 12 fuel and ignition maps, one for each cam angle from 0-50 degrees.

The reason for the multiple maps is refinement and power. There is more of the powerband mapped for all possible conditions.

An example of this is what we call a VTEC window. At 2400 rpm for example, you can be on the high or low cam depending in throttle position. At partial throttle you will be on the low cam, with ignition and fueling to suit. At full throttle you will switch to the high cam with different ignition and fuel settings.

More behind the scenes stuff you do not get to see is reliability. The Honda ECU runs two microprocessors. Should the main processor fail, the secondary one take over.

Error checking. The stock ECU has a very comprehensive error checking system to determine when sensors are out of range or faulty. The stock ECU has sensor learning, where it will adapt to the noise you get on the crank and cam sensor lines.

Dig deeper still and you will find a lot of differences. Honda have probably spend more money and R&D time on just getting their cars to start first turn of the key and idle smoothly than most companies have in developing their entire engine management systems.

I understand all of that, and I won't argue one bit. Honda has it down packed and my RSX will run on only a K-pro if I decide to do the all motor build I've been thinking about. The difference in my case is that I have pretty much eliminated vtec from my turbo civic, the only time it turns off is basically when Im not in need of it like for cruising. I also have a bunch of mismatched stuff on there. I dont know how carried away you can get with all kinds of non-honda sensors, maybe you could enlighten me in that department. I really only drive it to race it or beat the hell out of it. I only have 23,000 miles on my 02 but they are very HARD miles haha. I fully understand that to build such a fine tuned powerplant like a K series, Honda has their **** together but AEM got me a box over a year ago and I have had no issues with it. I cant justify taking a big hit on it to switch to a Hondata setup now. (unless anyone wants to sponsor my car!)
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

Hondata1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You made the best decision for your tuning your vehicle, for what was available at the time.

As far as sensors are concerned, the K-Pro will use a variety of MAP sensors. It needs to use the stock crank, cam and temperature sensors.
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

Ahah, thanks for the info. Its good to have guys like yourself around the forums.
Old 04-19-2007
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future

so where are the results andy? i'm interested in how it turns out
Old 04-19-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice

Originally Posted by eye_see_you
so where are the results andy? i'm interested in how it turns out
New dyno inside