Refreshing my high mileage D17 - Honda Civic Forum

Advanced Engine Performance and Swaps Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1 Week Ago   #1  
Registered!!

03_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Refreshing my high mileage D17

Ok so Iím thinking about the idea of pulling my engine and giving it a little love to bring some life back into it. I know Hondaís can go for 300k+ just how it came from factory (if maintained properly) but after all the problems itís developed I just wanna pull it and change out most of the factory parts. Iím fine with going back with genuine OEM parts and keeping it at the stock parameters but what would you guys recommend as far as what are the vital parts to replace? Of course gaskets would be one of the first on the lists.. Also while itís apart Iím considering throwing in a Crower Stage 1 cam just for the slight gain. Replace hoses, wires, check harnesses? Also will be giving the whole engine a good cleaning to clean out any carbon buildup. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations and info are appreciated.
03_EM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2  
The Dongerator

Megalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to behold
Re: Refreshing my high mileage D17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_EM2 View Post
I know Hondaís can go for 300k+ just how it came from factory (if maintained properly)

There's no guarantee/warranty on that mileage..lol

Quote:
but after all the problems itís developed I just wanna pull it and change out most of the factory parts.

Please provide a history of the issues that has you considering a partial or full overhaul.

Quote:
Iím fine with going back with genuine OEM parts and keeping it at the stock parameters but what would you guys recommend as far as what are the vital parts to replace?

Depends on what issues it currently experiencing, how much you want to have it overhauled: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_tuning (scroll down to overhaul section), and how much money you're willing to spend.
Use OEM parts as much as possible (if available).

Quote:
Of course gaskets would be one of the first on the lists.. Also while itís apart Iím considering throwing in a Crower Stage 1 cam just for the slight gain. Replace hoses, wires, check harnesses? Also will be giving the whole engine a good cleaning to clean out any carbon buildup. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations and info are appreciated.

How many miles on the engine presently? Any oil leaks, coolant leaks, CEL's?, misfires, knocking, burning oil, etc..
Megalodong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3  
Registered!!

Engine currently has 276,650 miles and counting since i drive it quite often. Has CEL light on for codes P0340, P0341, P0401, P1259, and one more but I canít find the picture of it to remember. Iíve asked on other threads about the issues and most seem simple to fix or could just be simple electrical issues. I donít know the entire history of the motor, but based of the looks and driving habits I seen from the guy I bought it from I doubt he took good care of it. It has a ticking coming from somewhere in the head, a oil leak from somewhere that I still havenít found although I know itís leaking from the oil pan or the drain bolt but thatís not the only place I see oil at. I plan on keeping this car for a while and eventually plan on fixing the small body issues so I want to make sure the motor is gonna last long enough without problems so I can have the money to throw at the body. Of course I could always just fix whatever codes are being thrown and invest in the bodywork instead but....thatís not the case here.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4  
The Dongerator

Megalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to behold

When did you acquire this car and what was the price?
Old 1 Week Ago   #5  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of rebuild, maybe
Drop in a low mileage used engine

With a fresh head gasket and timing belt

Cost might be the same or less depending on how cheap you get an engine for
ezone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodong View Post
When did you acquire this car and what was the price?
Got her about 4-5 months ago and I paid 1,800. Had the CEL on when I bought it but it was only for the EGR insufficient flow.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Instead of rebuild, maybe
Drop in a low mileage used engine

With a fresh head gasket and timing belt

Cost might be the same or less depending on how cheap you get an engine for
I was also considering this idea, Iíve looked around thru google search and found a few A2ís for ~$500-$650 but I mostly come across the JDM D17A and I thought I read something about how the wiring would need changing. Not really sure what the thread said anymore though. Did find somewhere local that has some engines but he said all of his were automatic, would this work? What would need to be swapped/modified? If anything?

Last edited by 03_EM2; 1 Week Ago at 06:34 AM. Reason: New question/info
Old 1 Week Ago   #8  

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I was also considering this idea, Iíve looked around thru google search and found a few A2ís for ~$500-$650 but I mostly come across the JDM D17A and I thought I read something about how the wiring would need changing.

Read more. Most only need the pressure switch on the VTEC valve transferred to make the D17A2 ECM happy.

Quote:

but he said all of his were automatic, would this work? What would need to be swapped/modified? If anything?
It will work, swap the flywheel and pilot bearing over.

You're only buying the block and head of the engine, anything else that doesn't need swapped over in the process is a bonus.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Read more. Most only need the pressure switch on the VTEC valve transferred to make the D17A2 ECM happy.

It will work, swap the flywheel and pilot bearing over.

You're only buying the block and head of the engine, anything else that doesn't need swapped over in the process is a bonus.
Sweet so the JDM D17 wouldnít be hard to swap in at all from what youíre saying. The local guy I talked to is most likely selling the whole engine (harnesses, pumps, literally the whole swap)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10  
Registered!!

Kindve off topic from my question on this thread but is this attached image the correct intake gasket?
Old 1 Week Ago   #11  

Quote:
Kindve off topic from my question on this thread but is this attached image the correct intake gasket?
Depends on what your original engine had (equipped with EGR or not) and if the big parts that include it have to be transferred to the new engine.

Remember, you are only buying a block and head. Anything else that doesn't match your original has to be transferred. Anything that does match MIGHT be usable as you receive it, but you probably won't find out how good it is until you can run and drive it.
Old 1 Week Ago   #12  
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice

Hold on. What problem are you having exactly? Just oil leaks and ticking? Maybe check your valve adjustment for the ticking? I wouldn't do anything major unless you have a reason to, like low compression, burning oil or knocking. None of those codes you have are even related to an internal engine issue, so I don't see your logic. Mileage alone isn't a reason to replace the engine.
D17VTECPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13  
The Dongerator

Has the ECU and/or harness been ruled out as part of or direct cause of the issue?
Old 3 Days Ago   #14  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodong View Post
Has the ECU and/or harness been ruled out as part of or direct cause of the issue?
Havenít even bothered to check yet. Probably shouldíve tried checking the wiring on everything first but I ordered replacement parts instead to see if itís a mechanical issue. Say thereís a bad harness or bad terminals in a connector, what do I do as far as replacing? Where can I find these harnesses at? (VTEC solenoid, Cam sensor, etc) Would cleaning up the terminals with some sort of electrical cleaner possibly help? I know thereís no real way to just guess what could be bad in the wiring without checking voltage throughout and i know thisíll sound dumb but Iíd rather changeout parts and clean terminals before I go checking voltage on everything and start replacing harnesses and connectors.
Old 3 Days Ago   #15  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER View Post
Hold on. What problem are you having exactly? Just oil leaks and ticking? Maybe check your valve adjustment for the ticking? I wouldn't do anything major unless you have a reason to, like low compression, burning oil or knocking. None of those codes you have are even related to an internal engine issue, so I don't see your logic. Mileage alone isn't a reason to replace the engine.
Havenít checked compression yet. Has more of a knock rather than a ticking. Does burn a little oil. I wouldnít doubt the valves could use an adjustment though.
Old 2 Days Ago   #16  
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice

Quote:

Havenít checked compression yet. Has more of a knock rather than a ticking. Does burn a little oil. I wouldnít doubt the valves could use an adjustment though.
If it has an internal noise and it's not the valve adjustment, it's not worth fixing IMO. You would be better off installing a low mileage used engine. The D17 is a very common and inexpensive engine, so I'd replace it. As a bonus, you'd have a parts engine loaded with good parts.
D17VTECPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #17  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER View Post
If it has an internal noise and it's not the valve adjustment, it's not worth fixing IMO. You would be better off installing a low mileage used engine. The D17 is a very common and inexpensive engine, so I'd replace it. As a bonus, you'd have a parts engine loaded with good parts.
Really been considering this option, just wanna see if I can maybe keep this engine alive for a lil longer. New parts come in the mail tomorrow so weíll see what happens.