Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Obx lsd problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glamabilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Obx lsd problems

So I ordered an obx lsd for my civic, I put it in and within a week one of the bearings supporting the lsd cracked, the passenger side one. Part of the inner race had broken off, the side towards the diff itself not the case. It was totally destroyed, it was really rough to spin it. Anyway I put the old diff back in not knowing if the Lsd had some sort of side load that caused the bearing to fail. The diff looks ok, from the outside I have not taken it apart yet. Since this is my first lsd, are they supposed to make any noise during operation or any thing else that might cause concern but are normal in operation? I think I’m going to get another junkyard tranny and just rebuild it with the lsd in it so I don’t have to open the case everytime I have an issue.
Old 04-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Obx lsd problems

new? them call OBX
the cars i have, they have the regular planetary LSD, so can't answer your question about noise. OBX is the clutch type, i take it?
they should not make noises.
Old 04-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glamabilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Obx lsd problems

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
new? them call OBX
the cars i have, they have the regular planetary LSD, so can't answer your question about noise. OBX is the clutch type, i take it?
they should not make noises.
The one I have is a gear type, I was going to buy the mfactory one, but decided on the obx, mostly because it was cheaper. Those are the only two that will fit in a d17 transmission, at least that is all I found. Mine was making noise, but that might have been the bearing going bad. This is my first experience with a lsd, so I’m quite sure what to expect.