Engine building Post information/questions about Engine Building here!

pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
pistons

since i intend to fix my oil burning furnace of 1 qt every 1000 miles on my honda this summer.

i came up with an idea to do this on my pistons..

this should help in not getting stuck oil rings ..

wonder what SDDjoi and ezone think.. it should remedy the issue also..

Old 02-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pistons

There are K engines with those holes, I know my 07 Fit engine has the holes.
I know some other engines don't have the holes..........
The holes won't prevent the rings from getting stuck.
Old 02-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
There are K engines with those holes, I know my 07 Fit engine has the holes.
I know some other engines don't have the holes..........
The holes won't prevent the rings from getting stuck.

the idea is you have more passage way for the oil to drain back, so it gets less cooked up carbon build up...

i am going to test it on mine, but i doubth i will keep it another 300,000k miles to fiind it if it worked) hahahahahah.. so the question is why do i even do it

i researched it been done on toyota's and saturns as to alleviate the problem
Old 02-07-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oil quality plays a big part in coking in the ring grooves.
A piston gets hot. Extremely hot.

Newer engine designs have pushed the ring locations upward ever closer to the combustion area, so now the ring areas get hotter than they used to on older designs......

High quality oil tends to (for lack of better term right now) 'carbon up' less or later than lower quality oil because it withstands higher temperatures before breakdown
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

i used mobil one synthetic on mine every 3k since 2005.. that religiosly very rare these days.. maybe that's why i didnt cook the oil rings till 270,000 miles .. hmmm
Old 02-08-2018

Originally Posted by dsm482
i used mobil one synthetic on mine every 3k since 2005.. that religiosly very rare these days.. maybe that's why i didnt cook the oil rings till 270,000 miles .. hmmm
Good possibility
Old 02-08-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...That won't help your oil consumption problem.

That would help if it consumed due to insufficient flow from the factory; but that is not a known issue with d17 engines.

Your vehicle is burning because oil is entering the combustion chamber some how.

-worn out piston rings/oil control rings
-worn valve seals
-worn cylinder walls
-all of the above

-or like in my case over pressurization due to stock pcv system and aftermarket parts.
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
...That won't help your oil consumption problem.

That would help if it consumed due to insufficient flow from the factory; but that is not a known issue with d17 engines.

Your vehicle is burning because oil is entering the combustion chamber some how.

-worn out piston rings/oil control rings
-worn valve seals
-worn cylinder walls
-all of the above

-or like in my case over pressurization due to stock pcv system and aftermarket parts.
u missed the point, i know the cullprit its stuck oil.rings , i.have good compression, i did.also cylinder leakeage.. those holes are added for oil to.flow faster back and not.sit there at extreme temperatures as.ezone said.. that way oil doesnt cook and gets carbon build up and u get stuck oil rings.. i have seen the mod to work on toyota an saturns , and engineering way makes sense.. but i dont know or used honda pistons before, so ezone has the experience.. my valve seals and valves and cylinder head are fine since.i replaced them..
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

I have a few questions. Not to be an ***, but for my own personal knowledge.

1) How do you know it's stuck rings?

2) If the rings were sticking wouldn't the cylinder walls be scored from the rings
due to the lack of lubrication?

FYI my civic had 265,000 miles on original parts (minus timing belts) and i was not burning any oil...until I slapped a turbo on it
Of course all engines are different.

If what you say is true of all the tests, i would personally look again at the valve seats....
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Actually having pulled mine apart, no the cylinder walls aren’t scorched, it’s the exact opposite.

Seems once the oil starts cooking in the oil control rings, the three separate rings become one solid mass and they lose the ability to expand out and wipe the oil off the walls.

So the oil rings effectively become flush with the piston side and oil is no longer getting wiped away.

Fully agree with what has been said, I would possibly even speculate that the extra stuff in high mileage oil might even cause more clogging..

As too making the holes bigger, I don’t know. As you said with synthetic oil and timely oil changes you went past 200,000 wherein my donor engine which in 75k miles has documented over 9 oil changes but at a discount garage already had pretty crusted up oil ring.
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

i will let ezone answer this, piston compression is good.. its the oil ring that get carbon build up or cooking.
newer modern engines they put them all rings closer to combustion.. that means heat more.. now as i seen the oil in the ring groove doesnt drain fast enough and it cooks up as a carbon build up over time.. now there is mod i can drill extra holes have oil drain faster and reduce this for next time..
i tested compression 210, wet dry u named, i tested cylinder leakage. all good. i pressurized the cylinder with air to see where it comes out of.
how do i know its not my valves, i did a headgasket before, replaced the valve stem seals, replaced my bent valves .. plus culinder leakage test will show ..

trust me i know its the oil rings on mine. as for the cylinder wall, when the head was off i checked them they werent scorched.. the only thing i regret EZONE told me to replace the rings due to this known issue, but i hadnt had oil burning before, .. so i assumed they wont cook up.. eventually they did..

should have listen then, but its ok i can do the job twice,.. labor is free plus i can modify the pistons with few extra holes so il can drain faster.
Old 02-08-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ezone have more experience with this, so i will let he do the talking
Old 02-08-2018

Originally Posted by piano55man
1) How do you know it's stuck rings?
Experience and sense leads to the hunch, but usually there is little or no way to prove it until you take it apart and see with your own eyes.

Kinda hard to diag by blue smoke while a working cat hides most of the smoke.

2) If the rings were sticking wouldn't the cylinder walls be scored from the rings
due to the lack of lubrication?
Oil is passing through with too little control as it is right now. How you figure lack of lube?

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Seems once the oil starts cooking in the oil control rings, the three separate rings become one solid mass and they lose the ability to expand out and wipe the oil off the walls.

So the oil rings effectively become flush with the piston side and oil is no longer getting wiped away.
This.

Originally Posted by dsm482
i will let ezone answer this,
I never really bothered to take pics of pistons from other engines I do, but have this one for some reason

My Fit pistons @200,000 miles, had been soaking in cleaner.... link to full size pic if you want to try to see the oil rings

https://i.imgur.com/TmgrCUQ.jpg

Done in-car

FYI ring gaps can move around and if they happen to align just wrong that can allow excessive oil to pass through the gaps too.
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

i get 1 qt every 1000 miles depending on driving on average.. hasnt gone worse, at 320,000 miles.. sometimes i wonder how long i can drive it like this.. will it get worse..
being a fixer, everything working on my car as it came of factory, i like to fix it..
lots of work, **** my reverse just lost itselft at 320,000 also... i hate to fix it and someone rear ends me , and get peanuts for it)