View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Misfiring when cold- Please help!

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
I will soon. Quick question- Are the D17 injectors any better in any way, or just bigger?
The D17 injectors (most likely 240cc) are stock and designed to work with a D17 engine combined with stock ECU.

OP: This is just an observation and not a critisism (or at least not intending to be)..Through several of your post it seems like your goal is to achieve as much power (hp and torque) out of a D17 engine which is not know for that.
Not sure what your net goal is..do you mind explaining what you hope to ultimately achieve with your car's D17 engine? If, I am wrong in my oberservation or assumption please forgive me and I won't bring it up again.
Old 12-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Megalodong
The D17 injectors (most likely 240cc) are stock and designed to work with a D17 engine combined with stock ECU.

OP: This is just an observation and not a critisism (or at least not intending to be)..Through several of your post it seems like your goal is to achieve as much power (hp and torque) out of a D17 engine which is not know for that.
Not sure what your net goal is..do you mind explaining what you hope to ultimately achieve with your car's D17 engine? If, I am wrong in my oberservation or assumption please forgive me and I won't bring it up again.
I did not put the Y8 intake manifold on for performance, I did it because the plastic intake manifold sucks and kept breaking. The intake meant that I had to put the Y8 fuel rail on. I never thought that the Y8 injectors would have been a problem. But I have heard that they spray a stream of fuel instead of a mist though. Not sure about that. Also, most of the mods that I did, like the DC Sports header and aftermarket exhaust were either because I found those parts at a junkyard for cheap or because I needed to replace those parts anyway. I would like to get as much power out of it as possible without causing problems, but I am well aware that these engines aren't performance engines and don't make much power without boost. I am saving for a K swap, so I don't want to put a ridiculous amount of money into the D17 to try to polish a turd.
Old 12-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I did it because the plastic intake manifold sucks and kept breaking.
Wow. I've not seen one break, and I've probably seen thousands over the years.

I can guess how though LOL
Old 12-09-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I put boost through the OEM plastic IM. Never had any breakage or even signs of deformation.
Old 12-09-2017
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Wow. I've not seen one break, and I've probably seen thousands over the years.

I can guess how though LOL
Mine cracked. I put JB Weld over the crack. Then the PCV nipple broke off when I barely touched the line. I had enough of the plastic one breaking, so I switched to the metal one and never had another problem. But to be fair, the motor was out of a 2001, so the intake manifold was 15 years old before it had any problem.
Old 12-09-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I am saving for a K swap, so I don't want to put a ridiculous amount of money into the D17 to try to polish a turd.
Thanks.
Yes, a D17 is not a turd worth polishing for performance. Gas mileage and reliability is unturd-like though.
Old 12-09-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't sell it quite that short. There was a user here once upon a time putting almost 500 reliable horses to the wheels with a d17a1 (with a2 head)
Old 12-09-2017

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I wouldn't sell it quite that short. There was a user here once upon a time putting almost 500 reliable horses to the wheels with a d17a1 (with a2 head)
naturally aspirated?
Old 12-09-2017
Registered!!

naturally aspirated?
No way can a D17 make that kind of power NA. 200 for a NA D17 is near impossible.
Old 12-09-2017

No way can a D17 make that kind of power NA. 200 for a NA D17 is near impossible.
Yes, I'm sure Riceboy is referring to someone who boosted their engine.

My mom's car is an '04 Civic VP with automatic transmission. It's a light car and does well around town and highway, except highway passing it does struggle.

I've contemplated what a stock 7th gen manual transmission, lowered suspension, wider rims/tires would drive like. My guess is a fun car to drive.
Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can I get around getting an ECU flash for key immobilizer when replacing ECU?

you can swap the chips between ECM you just need to know which one has it.. then you need to mach the ignition or key.

basic electrical soldering,.. i ve seen few youtube videos on it..
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

How strong are our engines built?

I know that our engines are not built to handle making a lot of power. But I am wondering what a very safe HP limit would be on stock internals. I have had a very bad experience with a well maintained D17A2 starting to knock and catastrophically exploding for no reason. It had plenty of clean 5w20 synthetic oil and wasn’t even being run hard, so I question the strength of these engines. Every time I floor mine, I am slightly worried that it will fly apart. Do I need to worry? How strong are the internals of these engines? How do D17 engines compare to previous D series engines durablity wise? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Re: Can I get around getting an ECU flash for key immobilizer when replacing ECU?

Originally Posted by dsm482
you can swap the chips between ECM you just need to know which one has it.. then you need to mach the ignition or key.

basic electrical soldering,.. i ve seen few youtube videos on it..
I can swap the chips around, but I don’t know which ones to swap. I couldn’t find any information on these ECUs. Great idea though.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

What is the “ideal” oil level?

I always try to keep the oil level around half way between the minimum and maximum marks on the dipstick. My logic for this is that I don’t want to fill the oil all the way to the full mark with the engine cold, because the oil will expand and be too full once the engine warms up. Besides, the engine still has plenty of oil with the oil level half way between the 2 marks, so it’s not like I risk damaging the engine from lack of oil. I also heard from a very smart engine builder that filling the oil all the way up can cause the oil to splash up and interfere with the cranksahaft moving, particularly under hard cornering. He said for that reason, the oil level should be on the medium to low end of the stick. Does that make sense to you? I don’t think that the oil level matters unless it is overfilled or underfilled, but I’m not sure. What do you think?
Old 12-11-2017

Re: What is the “ideal” oil level?

Where is the oil level when the car is rolled out of the factory? If Honda engineers (or any manufacturer) deemed that to be the appropriate level..that's good enough for me.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Where is the oil level when the car is rolled out of the factory? If Honda engineers (or any manufacturer) deemed that to be the appropriate level..that's good enough for me.
No idea what the oil level was from the factory. I bought the car used with 15K miles on it.
Old 12-11-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

The Honda engineers spent millions of dollars designing the engine to operate at the proper (full) capacity. I'm sure they even accounted for the possibility of the engine being slightly overfilled and it will still run ok. The space between the high and low marks on the dipstick represents about a quart and is the safe range where it is "ok" to run the engine. However I personally wouldn't run the engine hard without it being at the full mark. When you change the oil there can still be about a quart still inside the engine. There's a difference between a dry fill (brand new engine) and a service fill (oil change)
Old 12-11-2017

Re: How strong are our engines built?

I am not as qualified as others here to answer your questions but here it goes.

But I am wondering what a very safe HP limit would be on stock internals.
It's listed stock peak horsepower and torque.

I have had a very bad experience with a well maintained D17A2 starting to knock and catastrophically exploding for no reason.
Miles on odometer at time of failure? What are your driving habits?
Some D17's will last longer than others simply due to manufacturing locations/tolerances/metallurgy and other variables. This applies to any manufactured engine.

How strong are the internals of these engines?
With normal use they are generally known to reach up to and above 200k miles. If one likes to drive it hard than most likely less than normal driving.

How do D17 engines compare to previous D series engines durablity wise? Thanks.
Just as well as other generations other than the head gaskets "seem" to breach more often.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-12-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
The Honda engineers spent millions of dollars designing the engine to operate at the proper (full) capacity. I'm sure they even accounted for the possibility of the engine being slightly overfilled and it will still run ok. The space between the high and low marks on the dipstick represents about a quart and is the safe range where it is "ok" to run the engine. However I personally wouldn't run the engine hard without it being at the full mark. When you change the oil there can still be about a quart still inside the engine. There's a difference between a dry fill (brand new engine) and a service fill (oil change)
So you would suggest that I fill the oil almost all the way to full?
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

I am not as qualified as others here to answer your questions but here it goes.

It's listed stock peak horsepower and torque.

Miles on odometer at time of failure? What are your driving habits?
Some D17's as will last longer than others simply due to manufacturing locations/tolerances/metallurgy and other variables. This applies to any manufactured engine.

With normal use they are generally known to reach up to and above 200k miles. If one likes to drive it hard than most likely less than normal driving.

Just as well other generations other than the head gaskets "seem" to breach more often.
I try to drive it as gently as possible, especially while it is cold. I occasionally floor it on the highway, maybe twice a month. The engine has always had clean 5w20 synthetic oil and a quality filter. I changed the oil and filter every 4K miles and only used quality oil. I check the oil every time I get gas, and I never ran it low. The engine had 120K miles on it at the time of failure, which I think is nothing for such a well maintained engine. It must have been defective from the factory. Also, I am probably making about 160 HP at the crank. Is that safe? Also, could I reduce the chance of another head gasket failure by installing ARP head studs? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017

The engine had 120K miles on it at the time of failure, which I think is nothing for such a well maintained engine. It must have been defective from the factory.
Hard to say if it was defective..120k miles is roughly 10 years of average driving miles. There are sometimes guarantees in life and they're called powertrain warranties. Your car's engine made it past the warranty, so it's not a dud (in Honda's eyes, anyway).

Also, I am probably making about 160 HP at the crank. Is that safe?
Dyno'd?

Also, could I reduce the chance of another head gasket failure by installing ARP head studs? Thanks.
I'm not sure..I've never used them.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Hard to say if it was defective..120k miles is roughly 10 years of average driving miles. There are sometimes guarantees in life and they're called powertrain warranties. Your car's engine made it past the warranty, so it's not a dud (in Honda's eyes, anyway).

Dyno'd?

I'm not sure..I've never used them.
I don’t know what caused the failure. For all I know, maybe the engine had a slight flaw from the factory. Like I said, it always had plenty of clean oil and wasn’t usually run hard, so I don’t know. Do you think I have to worry about this one doing the same thing? How could I have prevented the failure?
Old 12-11-2017

Do you think I have to worry about this one doing the same thing?
I don't think anyone can promise reliability. All one can do is regular maintenence, timely repairs and hope for the best. You can purchase a third party warranty if you want insurance but I've never purchased one and can't tell you if they are worth it. My guess is probably not.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-12-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

I don't think anyone can promise reliability. All one can do is regular maintenence, timely repairs and hope for the best. You can purchase a third part warranty if you want insurance but I've never purchased one and can't tell you if they are worth it. My guess is probably not.
So is there anything inherently less reliable about a D17 than a D16 or K20?
Old 12-11-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

because the oil will expand and be too full once the engine warms up
So check the oil level when the engine is hot.

CLUE: There's only a gallon of oil in the engine, real life fluid expansion is minimal and inconsequential---unless it was already FAR overfilled.....and I see these come in with 4.5-5 quarts regularly, with no apparent problems noticed by the drivers.

I also heard from a very smart engine builder that filling the oil all the way up can cause the oil to splash up and interfere with the cranksahaft moving, particularly under hard cornering. He said for that reason, the oil level should be on the medium to low end of the stick. Does that make sense to you?
Nope....Don't you think that Hondas engine designers already took that into account? Have you ever heard of that issue with Hondas engines? On the street?

Also: You aren't racing that car on a track.

Also along the same lines, if I were the engine builder actually building a hot engine for racing purposes, I would account for:

A) low oil level is more likely to allow the the oil sump pickup tube to be uncovered and starve the engine of oil under hard cornering situations (BTDT, big problem with some engines....and same situation with fuel slosh in some cars too),

and

B) if I were concerned with oil getting into the rotating assembly, I'd be installing a windage tray or some other means to control oil slosh.
Old 12-11-2017

No idea what the oil level was from the factory. I bought the car used with 15K miles on it.
The various factories aren't all that consistent about filling to a perfect level.

They were (and still are) arriving with anywhere from a smidge over the full line to 1/4 from the low line.

If I did the PDI I topped the oil up to at least 3/4 if not the full line....with a full oil filter (just ran and shut off).
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

CLUE: There's only a gallon of oil in the engine, real life fluid expansion is minimal and inconsequential---unless it was already FAR overfilled.....and I see these come in with 4.5-5 quarts regularly, with no apparent problems noticed by the drivers.

Nope....Don't you think that Hondas engine designers already took that into account? Have you ever heard of that issue with Hondas engines? On the street?

Also along the same lines, if I were the engine builder actually building a hot engine for racing purposes, I would account for:

A) low oil level is more likely to allow the the oil sump pickup tube to be uncovered and starve the engine of oil under hard cornering situations (BTDT, big problem with some engines....and same situation with fuel slosh in some cars too),

and

B) if I were concerned with oil getting into the rotating assembly, I'd be installing a windage tray or some other means to control oil slosh.
Good points. I also would think that the more oil the engine has, the less likely you are to run out and cause damage if a leak develops. But I think that the engine would also take longer to warm up from a cold start with more oil in the engine. Maybe insignificant, but running the engine cold is obviously a very bad thing.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

and

Also, would running the engine with the oil level half way between the marks reduce the amount of oil that the pistons receive?
Old 12-11-2017

But I think that the engine would also take longer to warm up from a cold start with more oil in the engine. Maybe insignificant, but running the engine cold is obviously a very bad thing.
Wrong all the way around IMO.

The oil level is inconsequential for warmup time as long as it has enough. (If it doesn't have enough, it won't warm up ever again)

Engines HAVE to be able to run cold. You're in a place you barely even see real cold.....and the people in the freekin arctic circle don't have the kind of problems you are thinking about.
No, you probably shouldn't hotrod a stone cold engine (at least give it a few seconds to get the oil flowing FFS) but doing so probably isn't going to do a lot of harm in the short term.

Oil technology these days is light years ahead of what your dad and grandpa and great grandpa grew up with.

Also, would running the engine with the oil level half way between the marks reduce the amount of oil that the pistons receive?
Engineers already took this into account. Anywhere between the low mark and high mark is safe.

My personal preference is the full mark.
Old 12-11-2017

I have had a very bad experience with a well maintained D17A2 starting to knock and catastrophically exploding for no reason.
I'm sure there was a reason, you just didn't discover it.
I am slightly worried that it will fly apart. Do I need to worry?
The good ones will take it, the bad ones won't.

GO or blow!

Also, could I reduce the chance of another head gasket failure by installing ARP head studs?
No IMO....and you might hasten the demise of the gasket in there now if you try to install studs.....unless you just do a full head gasket job in the process.

I think it's a waste of cash for a stock engine. I reuse head bolts on these whenever I do a head gasket job. They aren't TTY so no reason to replace unless there is damage.

Do you think I have to worry about this one doing the same thing?
If it was a fluke failure, then this engine probably won't do it.
How could I have prevented the failure?
Gotta know the root cause of failure first.
You can't do anything about it if you have no idea what caused it.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave