SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

D17a?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoseyEm2 is an unknown quantity at this point
D17a?

I want to swap in a d17a for reliability, But I want to know the specs. How much HP does a d17a have? I've heard 120 and 140. I already have the ECU stuff figured out. Im running a Apexi VAFC so I can bypass ECU. Also is there anything I should worry about doing the swap? Or even just make sure I watch out for?
Old 07-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17a?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#D17A
Old 07-06-2017
Registered!!

So would you prefer the D17A2 or the D17A
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RoseyEm2
So would you prefer the D17A2 or the D17A

D17A. Because they come with slightly higher compression. 10.5:1 as opposed to the D17A2 9.9:1 so the power of the D17 is slightly larger. 140 at 6750 RPM.

When you swap in a D17a motor into a car that had a D17A2, you also need to take the VTEC solenoid from the D17A2 and the Oil Pressure Sensor Switch that connects to the back of the block by the oil filter as well. AND, you have to re-use the AC compressor from the D17A2 motor. Everything else is fine.

D17A motors generally come in LOW mileage conditions as they are imported from Japan. Check Ebay they have JDM engine importers offering deals on low mileage engines. When I tore my D17A engine down and inspected the crank and bearings everything looked fresh out the factory.
Old 07-14-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Erf_Em2
D17A. Because they come with slightly higher compression. 10.5:1 as opposed to the D17A2 9.9:1 so the power of the D17 is slightly larger. 140 at 6750 RPM.

When you swap in a D17a motor into a car that had a D17A2, you also need to take the VTEC solenoid from the D17A2 and the Oil Pressure Sensor Switch that connects to the back of the block by the oil filter as well. AND, you have to re-use the AC compressor from the D17A2 motor. Everything else is fine.

D17A motors generally come in LOW mileage conditions as they are imported from Japan. Check Ebay they have JDM engine importers offering deals on low mileage engines. When I tore my D17A engine down and inspected the crank and bearings everything looked fresh out the factory.
Well the thing is I have a D17A1 and I'm swapping a D17A in very soon. What would I do about the AC compressor?
Old 07-14-2017
Registered!!

Also I'm running a VAFC for bypass. I think this motor comes with the VTEC solenoid.
Old 07-14-2017
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

I want to swap in a d17a for reliability, But I want to know the specs. How much HP does a d17a have? I've heard 120 and 140. I already have the ECU stuff figured out. Im running a Apexi VAFC so I can bypass ECU. Also is there anything I should worry about doing the swap? Or even just make sure I watch out for?

If you are going thru the work of pulling the engine out, I would suggest going the K20 route. Still very reliable and a lot more power.
Old 07-14-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SammySC
If you are going thru the work of pulling the engine out, I would suggest going the K20 route. Still very reliable and a lot more power.
Just don't have the cash. it's about 8k+ for doing a k20 swap.
Old 07-14-2017
Registered!!

Just don't have the cash. it's about 8k+ for doing a k20 swap.
gotcha
Old 07-14-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What would I do about the AC compressor?
You aren't replacing the compressor, just the engine.

Unbolt compressor from the old engine, move it aside, leave it in the engine compartment. Do not discharge refrigerant nor disconnect any AC hoses. Yes this can be done but you have to be careful.

You might need to swap brackets to the new engine.

Install engine....bolt compressor to the new engine just like it was on the old engine.
Old 07-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone

Unbolt compressor from the old engine, move it aside, leave it in the engine compartment. Do not discharge refrigerant nor disconnect any AC hoses. Yes this can be done but you have to be careful.

Install engine....bolt compressor to the new engine just like it was on the old engine.
What he said^^^^^

All you're doing is moving AC compressor from D17A1 to d17A.
Dont forget the oil pressure switch and vtec solenoid!
Old 07-15-2017
Registered!!

Ah okay. Anything else I need to look out for?
Old 07-15-2017
Registered!!

What he said^^^^^

All you're doing is moving AC compressor from D17A1 to d17A.
Dont forget the oil pressure switch and vtec solenoid!
I think the engines comes with the VTEC solenoid already I'm not sure if I can run an oil pressure switch because I have a LX ECU with a VAFC. Also an LX harness
Old 07-15-2017
Registered!!

dsuhmibt1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

just out of curiosity why do you have to change out the VTEC solenoid and the AC compressor. is there something wrong with the ones on the D17A vs the D17A2? i just did a motor swap from my D17A2 to the D17A and i left the VTEC solenoid and AC compressor.
Old 07-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dsuhmibt1987
just out of curiosity why do you have to change out the VTEC solenoid and the AC compressor. is there something wrong with the ones on the D17A vs the D17A2? i just did a motor swap from my D17A2 to the D17A and i left the VTEC solenoid and AC compressor.
As Ezone said you don't need to change out the schedule compressor he said the brackets might be different so US compressor won't fit on the JDM d17. For the VTEC solenoid, all I can assume that it's a completely different sensor but works the same way
Old 07-16-2017

he said the brackets might be different so US compressor won't fit on the JDM d17.
I only said you might need to swap the bracket. The new engine may not have one.
If it comes with a bracket, the compressor will probably fit just fine.

all I can assume that it's a completely different sensor but works the same way
VTEC unit on a JDM engine may not be equipped with a pressure switch, which is needed to work with the PCM for the D17A2.
Old 07-16-2017
Registered!!

dsuhmibt1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright thank you. i was just curious because i didnt know. Thank you
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

I only said you might need to swap the bracket. The new engine may not have one.
If it comes with a bracket, the compressor will probably fit just fine.VTEC unit on a JDM engine may not be equipped with a pressure switch, which is needed to work with the PCM for the D17A2.
Hey Ezone I have a question. I just bought a D17A. I have an A1 manual transmission for longer gears, but I also have an A1 ECU with a bypass controller. Would there be anything I should worry about like power wise or anything else with general dealing with ECU/ECM? Btw, the motor did come with a VTEC solenoid but like you said not a pressure switch. I don't think it matters because I am running the bypass controller.
Old 08-04-2017

Would there be anything I should worry about like power wise or anything else with general dealing with ECU/ECM?
Not sure what you are asking here.

I just bought a D17A.
Looking for differences in EGR, if you can't tell what needs done then pics of this engine...and the original engine

You'll probably be reusing your original exhaust manifold and O2 (or AF) sensors
Old 08-04-2017
Registered!!

Not sure what you are asking here.Looking for differences in EGR, if you can't tell what needs done then pics of this engine...and the original engine

You'll probably be reusing your original exhaust manifold and O2 (or AF) sensors
I'm asking if I would be okay with the A1 ECU or not and also if there would be a power difference cause it's an A1 ECU.
Old 08-04-2017

That ECM is able to operate the engine.
Old 08-04-2017
Registered!!

That ECM is able to operate the engine.
But will it have any significant HP drop since the d17a has more power than the a1?
Old 08-04-2017

But will it have any significant HP drop since the d17a has more power than the a1?
No. The increase in power comes from the higher compression ratio, not the ECM. The ECM does not care what engine is attached to it as long as all of the sensors it cares about are in working order. .
Old 08-04-2017
Registered!!

No. The increase in power comes from the higher compression ratio, not the ECM. The ECM does not care what engine is attached to it as long as all of the sensors it cares about are in working order. .
Really? Wow. That's a relief Thank God you're on 7th gen forums Ezone. How do you know so much about 7th gen?
Old 08-05-2017

How do you know so much about
A lifetime of mistakes, excessive alcohol consumption and heavy drug use made me who I am today.
Old 08-05-2017
Registered!!

A lifetime of mistakes, excessive alcohol consumption and heavy drug use made me who I am today.
Kind of depressing Ezone. At least you wised up.
Old 08-05-2017

I was kidding.....about some of it.....kinda.
Old 08-06-2017
Registered!!

Old 08-30-2017
Registered!!

I was kidding.....about some of it.....kinda.
Ezone I have another question. I did the D17A swap and the car ran a little rough until I did an idle relearn. Everything was fine until one day I was letting the car run a bit and I took it up to 3000 and held it there for about 15 seconds and then the engine just went into limp mode. It can barely keep itself alive and Everytime I attempt to give a little gas it just wants to die down. It car has been running perfectly before, I don't understand what happened. I uhplugged the spark plugs and the dipstick and my oil was black (I used royal purple) and my spark plugs were black. Obviously when I got the motor I did a tune up. Anyways check engine light is on but it only pulls up as O2 sensor but, when I first scanned the car ever it was reading a "Barometric pressure sensor". What do you think can be the Problem and how do you fix it? Btw idk if this might help you diagnose but I am running a Apexi VAFC1.
Old 08-30-2017

Ezone I have another question. I did the D17A swap and the car ran a little rough until I did an idle relearn. Everything was fine until one day I was letting the car run a bit and I took it up to 3000 and held it there for about 15 seconds and then the engine just went into limp mode. It can barely keep itself alive and Everytime I attempt to give a little gas it just wants to die down. It car has been running perfectly before, I don't understand what happened. I uhplugged the spark plugs and the dipstick and my oil was black (I used royal purple) and my spark plugs were black. Obviously when I got the motor I did a tune up. Anyways check engine light is on but it only pulls up as O2 sensor but, when I first scanned the car ever it was reading a "Barometric pressure sensor". What do you think can be the Problem and how do you fix it? Btw idk if this might help you diagnose but I am running a Apexi VAFC1.

What is the actual code number you retrieved?
What have you done so far to try to fix this problem?
What steps have you taken to diagnose this problem?

Did you make another post about the BARO code some time ago?