Engine building Post information/questions about Engine Building here!

Ktuner and the D17

Old 07-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Re: Ktuner and the D17

if it helps, there was a guy here in houston selling a small lot of new b-stock turbos extra cheap. might have had one in the correct size. his prices were like $40-$60 per turbo if I remember, all new.
Old 07-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Thunder...PM sent.
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Whassss thedeaalll?
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Thunder, thanks for the info.
I'm currently out of pocket for the remainder of the week.
I'll follow up next week.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

Finally back from vacation!!!

Looks like i drilled the pan about 1/2" to far to the left for the oil return line...
so, on to the exhaust shop to get some custom work done.
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

oh yeah...new t3/t4 turbo and shorter waste gate to be delivered Thursday.
Old 08-02-2017
Registered!!

Added the 660 cc injectors last night.
Since the new injectors are a bit taller, I added an extra black plastic washer traditionally used for the fuel rail along with a longer bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170801_184046.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	111568  
Old 08-02-2017
Registered!!

added these fun quick releases last night as well...

Name:	20170801_202710.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	111569  
Old 08-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

upgrade those hood pins to some flush-mount aerocatch ones
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

because the front wing and stock car plastic help out soooooo much with the aero package i have....
Old 08-09-2017
Registered!!

another lesson learned....

Make sure your oil line to the turbo is not kinked...you will burn up a turbo or two.

At least i was able to combine parts from each of the two turbos along with a rebuild kit to make one that works....
Old 08-09-2017
Registered!!

New oil line and heat wrap for the exhaust go on tonight.
Next thing will be getting the final exhaust hooked up along with a revised tune from HA Motorsports.
Old 08-10-2017
Registered!!

Last night, i changed out the oil distribution block that the turbo oil feed and oil sensors come out of. I had a small oil leak coming from that area. Sure enough, the original brass block had a crack in it. I guess i don't know my own strength...

Took the rice rat out for a test drive last night....
These things come alive when the boost kicks in.
I took my last tune and added 25% fuel to the whole fuel map so i wouldn't be too lean.
BTW i switched back to the stock injectors for the time being. I couldn't get the car to start with the 660cc's. That will be for another day.

Anyways, car came alive on WOT!!!!
Engine ran way lean on idle and way rich on WOT. No biggie, got home and made my fuel adjustments.

Now i have an oil leak coming from the oil drain line.... I'm sure this is an easy fix.

So tonight's plan is to fix the new oil leak and try out the new tune.
Old 08-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by piano55man
Last night, i changed out the oil distribution block that the turbo oil feed and oil sensors come out of. I had a small oil leak coming from that area. Sure enough, the original brass block had a crack in it. I guess i don't know my own strength...

Took the rice rat out for a test drive last night....
These things come alive when the boost kicks in.
I took my last tune and added 25% fuel to the whole fuel map so i wouldn't be too lean.
BTW i switched back to the stock injectors for the time being. I couldn't get the car to start with the 660cc's. That will be for another day.

Anyways, car came alive on WOT!!!!
Engine ran way lean on idle and way rich on WOT. No biggie, got home and made my fuel adjustments.

Now i have an oil leak coming from the oil drain line.... I'm sure this is an easy fix.

So tonight's plan is to fix the new oil leak and try out the new tune.

Those oil leaks are a PITA.
Old 08-10-2017
Registered!!

So all the connections where good...the line actually had a small tear in the middle of it.
fixed it and now no leaks!!!!
its so much more fun to drive with a turbo and an open down pipe.....

BTW it's hot under the hood after a 10 min drive. I'm thinking for putting a scoop similar to a WRX. I have the header and the down pipe wrapped and it's still freekin hot. Any suggestions besides a turbo shield?
Old 08-14-2017
Registered!!

Header connected to the exhaust.
time to add more wrap to it...
Old 08-16-2017
Registered!!

FYI....i ran 7.9 lbs of boost on stock injectors and stock fuel pump.
110% of duty cycle.
i'm sure that's all she got's captain!
Old 08-22-2017
Registered!!

Anyone have a suggestion for gauges?
Looking for Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and of course Boost.
I'm thinking of using the piller.
Old 08-22-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fan of the way Defi Racer gauges look at operate, but could never bring myself to spend the money they want for those ($134 on amazon for a damn voltage gauge O_o)

edit: no AFR gauge? That's kind of a staple for boost builds.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 08-22-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by piano55man
Anyone have a suggestion for gauges?
Looking for Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and of course Boost.
I'm thinking of using the piller.
I suggest AEM Uego afr. I currently run autometer sport comp digital gauges but the oil temp and water temp both **** on me the first year it shows a partial final digit. I had issues with partial digits first month oil temp. Sent in got replacement then that **** on me a month later. Oil pressure works great if i could redo it id get glowshift gauges brand digital oil temp, oil press, and water temperature. I own glowshift gauges tripod console pillar which fits good and the speedometer pillar which replaces the factory speedo cover and adds two gaugd spotz. I currently have mounted an aem afr and autometer digital boost gauge. Havent turbo yet so havent hooked them for feedback for afr and boost
Old 08-23-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Only gauges I had when I was boosted was an AEM UEGO AFR and an AC Autotechnic boost gauge (both of which are still installed, but the boost gauge not hooked up to anything other than illumination power)

Ill try and find pics when I get to my laptop
Old 08-23-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Here you go, night time illumination pics. I'm pretty sure the boost gauge was hooked up when I took this pic, hence the indicated vacuum. As it sits right now, it reads right at 0

edit: only daytime pic I could find showing the gauges. On the AC Autotechnic gauge, when the car is off, it's kinda smoked so you can't really see it, but when the car is on, the meter portion illuminates and you can see it just fine. The AEM gauge comes with 4 interchangeable faces, 1 black and 1 white of each AFR and Lambda reading. I have mine to read AFR with the black face.

Name:	SDC10037.jpg
Views:	2078
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	111608   Click image for larger version

Name:	17-readjustandappreciatelol.jpg
Views:	2082
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	111609  

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 08-23-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2017
Registered!!

With the Ktuner program running the ecu and my laptop being hooked up to it quite a bit, i just read the afr from that.
My tune is very conservative at this point so i'm not too worried about it.

BTW, since we are going to have an epic rainstorm down here in south Texas, I'm going to be detailing everything up in the engine department since i wont be going anywhere
Old 08-24-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Always something you wanna keep an eye on regardless. I'm not boosted anymore, but it still gives valuable info when I feel like something's wrong. At least you have something to monitor it at least.

Since you're gonna be detailing it, wire tuck while you're there. Haha
Old 09-12-2017
Registered!!

glow shift gauge pod delivered.
went with oil pressure, oil temp, and boost.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

I know I'm late here but I have great success with autometer pro-comp ultralite wideband and boost gauges on two of my boosted cars. I like the AEM stuff as well.

My 01 civic has an aftermarket head unit with a small tray under it so I'm wondering if I can delete the tray and use a blanking plate there for gauge mounting rather than pillar mounting.

Hope your stuff survived Harvey! Luckily my house and other cars all survived.

Just to reiterate, which platform are you tuning with here?
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Thunder,

I'm went with the piller mount and glowshift gauges.
Everything survived the wind and rain...
I'm using a non-civic ECU which is utilizing the Ktuner platform.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

pics of the guages

Name:	20170916_123402.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	111661   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_110116.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	111662  
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Okay cool, I'm guessing this requires an ECU used with K-series engines? Similar to Kpro for our cars?

I've been tossing around the idea of adding boost to mine with an FIC but I really just haven't read up on too many 100% success stories with that platform. I'd like to see consistent boost AFR's, consistent Idle and Cruise AFR's, small fuel trim corrections, easy cold and hot starts, and no idle surging/floating while rolling in neutral. These are things that make a reliable daily driver in my opinion.

I need to catch up with you somewhere down here one day so I can see your car and get hooked.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Thunder...PM sent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ktuner and the D17