SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

Swap VTEC for D17A1-2004 model

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RFoxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Swap VTEC for D17A1-2004 model

I've got a 2004 Civic LX or EX (whatever is the most basic package) with only 310k miles (lol) on it and the head gasket blew. The JDM VTEC motors seem much more plentiful than non-VTEC. I was talking with the guy from JDM engines pro who says that the VTEC motors will bolt right in as replacement for the non-VTEC other than the throttle body needs to be swapped out. Says he has personally done it several times. Can anyone else attest to the truth of this, and can anyone direct me to good info on a step-by-step for pulling the engines on these? I don't mind a few changes like that so long as I know what I'm in for. I'm a old school gear head so I've never messed with a foreign car on engine swaps, but I have been around the block a time or two with domestic cars. Is he shooting straight with me or just trying to sell an engine?
Old 02-09-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Swap VTEC for D17A1-2004 model

Both the non-vtec and vtec civics run the same engine block for 1.7l D series engine.

D is the engine type (sohc from 1990-2005)
17 is the displacement (1.7 L)
A1 head option (non-vtec)
A2 head option (vtec).

The differences between A1 and A2 are
-ECU
-harness (but you can just run your own wires to the vtec solenoid and use the original harness)).
-exhaust manifold vs header
-o2 position

You can and many people have left the original block and only converted the head with it's extra parts, as listed above.
Old 02-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2004 Civic LX or EX (whatever is the most basic package)
DX had manual locks and windows,
LX doesn't have VTEC, does have catalytic converter attached to the exhaust manifold
EX has VTEC, has cat located further back behind the engine
Can anyone else attest to the truth of this,
Strip it down to a long block if you have to go that far, swap necessary external stuff from your old engine, stuff it in the car.

I think the only other significant difference might be the PCV valve, one may be threaded, the other may just push into a rubber grommet? (can't remember for sure)

Assuming your engine was a D17A1 (non-vtec)
You can stuff the D17A long block in the car and it should run just fine as is, without connecting anything to the vtec system. You can play with that later on if you need to get the car rolling asap.

If your car is EX with vtec, you'll have to swap the vtec oil pressure switch over to the new one, AFAIK the D17A does not come with it.

Both the non-vtec and vtec civics run the same engine block for 1.7l D series engine.

The differences between A1 and A2 are
I'll add

D17A1 has a steel pan
A2 has aluminum pan
Pistons are different, A2 has a little higher compression ratio and a couple more horsepower
Old 02-13-2017
Registered!!

RFoxx is an unknown quantity at this point

What I'm hoping for is a complete engine swap. I would like to avoid pulling the heads/timing/ etc. So it sounds like I can do complete motor swap but I'll have to address a bit of wiring issues and exhaust. Is that right?
Old 02-13-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RFoxx
What I'm hoping for is a complete engine swap. I would like to avoid pulling the heads/timing/ etc. So it sounds like I can do complete motor swap but I'll have to address a bit of wiring issues and exhaust. Is that right?
I'd reuse the original exhaust configuration as-is. If one engine uses EGR and the other doesn't, you have to do some swapping to get that entire system operable (or not)

The engines are well known for head gasket problems, so IMO you would be ahead to replace it on any 1.7 engine before it goes into the car (OEM gasket only for me).......

Any used engine you pick up will be FULL of unknowns....so most anyone who can afford to plan ahead is going to have timing components and various gaskets replaced while the engine is on the bench and it's easy to reach everything. The life of the engine depends on that timing belt and everything around it. Tensioner pulley set (HONDA ONLY), water pump, etc.
Adjust the valves too.

Do you want it to go another 100k before it needs the next major service, or do you want to be pulling the engine apart 10k from now because you didn't do this stuff while it would have been easy?
Old 03-22-2017
Registered!!

Civicsarelife is an unknown quantity at this point

Can comfirm with not plugging the v-tec in. Did pretty much the same as you are trying to do to my buddies car.
If you just want another engine thats cheaper then get the vtec . It does not need to be hooked up. One thing, we ran custom exhaust manifold so idk where that stands. PLEASE COMMENT I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM READ THIS NEXT BIT. A week after the swap the car had sporadic detonation at low rpms. Never checked for code
But after getting an excessive exhaust noise ticket IN OUR DRIVEWAY it fixed itself and hasn't come back in 2 weeks. Anyone have any insight that could forsee a problem for this gentlemen?
Old 03-22-2017

Originally Posted by Civicsarelife
PLEASE COMMENT I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM READ THIS NEXT BIT. A week after the swap the car had sporadic detonation at low rpms. Never checked for code.....

it fixed itself and hasn't come back in 2 weeks. Anyone have any insight that could forsee a problem for this gentlemen?
No clue here, especially if you did not get any data from the car.

But after getting an excessive exhaust noise ticket IN OUR DRIVEWAY
You have a jackazz neighbor too?
I have a couple neighbors who like to call the cops on each other over the smallest things. One day it was over a loud dirt track car being loaded onto a trailer in the street. Cop wrote tickets for being on the street with open exhaust, no license plates, no insurance, no lights, no windshield, etc.....Next day the guy has all his friends come over and park their trucks and trailers in front of the other persons house LOL

Sometimes it's just comical.
Other times the rest of us neighbors end up in their crosshairs. One of my spare cars got towed away because it sat still too long in front of my house on the street (72 hour rule here). Mad neighbor reported it.
Old 03-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
No clue here, especially if you did not get any data from the car.

You have a jackazz neighbor too?
I have a couple neighbors who like to call the cops on each other over the smallest things. One day it was over a loud dirt track car being loaded onto a trailer in the street. Cop wrote tickets for being on the street with open exhaust, no license plates, no insurance, no lights, no windshield, etc.....Next day the guy has all his friends come over and park their trucks and trailers in front of the other persons house LOL

Sometimes it's just comical.
Other times the rest of us neighbors end up in their crosshairs. One of my spare cars got towed away because it sat still too long in front of my house on the street (72 hour rule here). Mad neighbor reported it.
sounds like a water meter person should shut someones water off and put a lock on the meter....but i'm not suggesting this...
Old 04-29-2020
Registered!!

Nate Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Swap VTEC for D17A1-2004 model

Originally Posted by RFoxx
I've got a 2004 Civic LX or EX (whatever is the most basic package) with only 310k miles (lol) on it and the head gasket blew. The JDM VTEC motors seem much more plentiful than non-VTEC. I was talking with the guy from JDM engines pro who says that the VTEC motors will bolt right in as replacement for the non-VTEC other than the throttle body needs to be swapped out. Says he has personally done it several times. Can anyone else attest to the truth of this, and can anyone direct me to good info on a step-by-step for pulling the engines on these? I don't mind a few changes like that so long as I know what I'm in for. I'm a old school gear head so I've never messed with a foreign car on engine swaps, but I have been around the block a time or two with domestic cars. Is he shooting straight with me or just trying to sell an engine?
Lol, you're lucky. Mine blew at 130k and warped the block. The car was my mom's daily driver but her mechanic said the block was warped so I am swapping the engine myself. Hopefully, I can make it to "only" 310k this time.