Engine Management Post information/questions about Engine Management here! It's especially important for Forced Induction (Turbo and SuperCharging) and Engine swaps! What destroys engines are fuel management!

D16 Aftemarket cam gear fit D17a2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
D16 Aftemarket cam gear fit D17a2?

(Engine d17a2)

Hello people of the internet!

I am having an odd time finding which cam gears to use.

Because I don't remember what a d17a2 cam gear looks like for the lock.
I swear when I pulled mine for the crower cam it had a lock block that slid between the camshaft and the gear (like 1/4" x 3/4" rectangle pin).

but people are listing this OEM camgear as a 01-05 1.7L gear

As you can see it has a round hole for a pin, not a square hole coming out of the center. ...is this the d17a1 cam gear?

Now this next picture is a d16 camgear which is what I thought the d17a2 gear looked like, at least for the lock.

Now the only pictures I can find for a "d17 01-05 civic" specific aftermarket cam gear, show the round pin like this..

and the only pictures I can find of an aftermarket d16 cam gear (which looks the way I remember the d17a2 lock) look like this...

Sooo at long last my two part question is

1. Does the d17a2 use a rectangular locking pin like the d16

and

2. If so are the two OEM cam gears identical?
Old 11-23-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16 Aftemarket cam gear fit D17a2?

I thought it was a round pin in the cam gear..

you know AEM makes an adjustable cam gear for us, yea?