Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

H22a swapped Eg civic issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandon12514 is an unknown quantity at this point
H22a swapped Eg civic issues

First off just let me start by thanking anyone in advance for taking he time to read this. So here is my delima.... I have an ongoing project I've been working on and Noone I know can explain the issues Im having. I have a 95 civic coupe I bought as a rolling shell, I decided to go with an H22a swap because everyone I know is B series and K series and I wanted to be different. Here is what im working with, JDM H22a. Brian Crower stage 2 cams. Aem fuel rail. Aem 320lph fuel pump Fid 1000cc injectors. Skunk 2 cam gears. Gates racing blue timing belt. 1320 manual timing tensioner. Butterfly delete done to the intake manifold. IACV deleted. FITV deleted. EGR deleted. Balance shafte delete. 70mm throtle body. NGK plugs and wires. Stage 3 6 puck clutch. Chipped with basemap P28 ecu. The issue, code 8 TDC. I'm using the internal coil distributor, mainly because I'm using the factory civic harness. I have bought 4 different distributor's, all brand new 3 different brands, all throw TDC code. I have tried my chipped p28 ecu a virgin p28 ecu, p75 ecu, p30 ecu, p06 ecu. Every ecu and every distributor throws code 8 within seconds of starting the engine. Idle is very rough, clears up and revs very strong after 3000rpm, but driving it anything more than 1/4th throttle and it falls on its face. New oem tps and calibrated to .5v idle and 4.5v WOT new oem Map sensor as well. All fuses and relays are good. Thremostat ground is good. Added ground wire to valve cover and transmission. Is there any H series people on here that may have advice? Or any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2016
Registered!!

Re: H22a swapped Eg civic issues

Pics of swap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161028_115920.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	89236   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161028_115941.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	89237   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161102_122718.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	4.87 MB
ID:	89238  
Old 11-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Checked all wiring from ECM to dist? All wires in the correct holes? You sure nothing needed modified to make a swap work?

If using a Civic ECM, use a Civic distributor?
Does the crank nose have a trigger wheel and sensor?

Might be the waveform (square wave/sine wave) of the sensor in question isn't right for the ECM you are using.

One of the guys who used to work in this shop picked up a 'lude with a jdm engine swap, and i don't recall the exact issue but it had to do with a fault code (CKP maybe?), it turned out to be caused by incorrect signals that the ECM did not like......there was a difference between the signal made on the front of the crank (JDM) and the signal made in the distributor (stock USA?), and a little rewire from one to the other got it running good.

Random thoughts. IDK what would fix your car.
Old 11-16-2016
Registered!!

This is the first H series build I have ever done, anyone I ask says it has to be the distributor, because the tdc and ckp is inside the housing. But I highly doubt I've purchased 4 brand new faulty dizzys. Which are not cheap. All wiring is dead on perfect. Timing is TDC from the timing gear to the cam gears. And the only 2 civic parts left are the wiring harness (which I have cut the loom off of and traced from each plug to the main plug's at the firewall wire by wire.) And the P28 ecu. Everything is OBD1. The swap will crank and idle fine (after warming up because of no IACV or FITV) and after a slight hesitation will rev like everything is perfect. But once you try to drive it, it starts acting like is has no spark randomly.
Old 11-16-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

But I highly doubt I've purchased 4 brand new faulty dizzys.
New, or aftermarket remans? If remans.....4 bad in a row would not surprise me one bit LOL

Got a known good unmodified old Civic you can use to test the distributor in?
Old 11-16-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I think you meant to post this rather then report it as an infraction.

Originally Posted by Brandon12514
New. Not reman. And the distributor is for H22 internal coil only. So no I can't test it on any other civic. And the only people I know with a prelude are external coil. So can't test there either.
Old 11-16-2016

Sorry, I was busy as hell today and didn't really have time to think about issues with the swap.

Apparently you are using Civic ECMs (???) but they don't like the signals generated by the distributor on that engine.

Cobble the sensor guts of a Civic dist (one that matched the ECM being used) into the dist housing for your engine, or get an ECM and harness for the engine you have?
Change to external coil? Will a Civic dist fit in this engine?
Get the correct ECM and harness for the engine you have in it?