Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Best radiator/best place to buy replacement radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tavisc is an unknown quantity at this point
Best radiator/best place to buy replacement radiator?

Hi guys and gals. Last week the radiator fan switch failed on my girlfriends Civic. That in turn caused the radiator to develop a leak this week, and the autoshop is quoting us ~$480 to replace it. That includes parts ($203) and labor. Obviously we're not happy about having to pay that much, so we're looking at aftermarket radiators/buying one and delivery it ourselves.

My question is, where is a good place to start? I know next to nothing about modern vehicles (I drive a '72 VW Bug,) and we live in an apartment building so I can't do it myself. We also moved here recently, and I haven't made any friends with a garage, so that's not an option.

I don't really want to pay that much for a radiator, if I can help it. Any help?
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Best radiator/best place to buy replacement radiator?

can you not buy oem and replace it yourself what year is it ???
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
can you not buy oem and replace it yourself what year is it ???
Its a 2001, 4 door.....EX, I think. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the radiator is the same on all the models.

I'd buy an OEM, but I have no idea where to. That's one of the questions I was hoping someone would help me out with.

I also can't work on it here. I live in an apartment outside of Boston. I don't have a garage/covered area to do it, and its much too cold+too snowy to do it outside.
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tavisc
Last week the radiator fan switch failed on my girlfriends Civic. That in turn caused the radiator to develop a leak
huh?

where exactly is it leaking?

are you sure it is the rad thats leaking?
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
huh?

where exactly is it leaking?

are you sure it is the rad thats leaking?

I'm not, no. The car overheated while she was driving home last night. She limped home and I looked it over, but I really only know air cooled.

I'm not sure what else it could be though. Oil looks fine+exhaust smells like exhaust. I don't have a compression tester but it doesn't appear to be the head gasket.

Its at a reputable mechanic right now. They say its a leaking radiator. I can't confirm that but if they say so, I trust them.

I'm not sure what else it could be. I did
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

I trust them.
why?....i wouldnt

overheating can be caused by many different things,

how was the coolant level when it overheated? was it low?

just because coolant level is low, doesnt automatically mean you have a leak, i wouldnt go throwing random parts at it until you find out exactly what the problem is,

me thinks you could have a totally seperate and more complex problem going on, other than a leaky rad
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

why?....i wouldnt

overheating can be caused by many different things,

how was the coolant level when it overheated? was it low?

just because coolant level is low, doesnt automatically mean you have a leak, i wouldnt go throwing random parts at it until you find out exactly what the problem is,

me thinks you could have a totally seperate and more complex problem going on, other than a leaky rad
I trust them simply because they're highly rated. I could be way off, and they could be terrible, but I look for the good, as it were.

I don't know how much fluid there was. I topped it off this morning, before we limped to the shop. I couldn't see any coolant inside the radiator when I did. AFAIK when it overheated last night it steamed. I don't know anything other than that, because I wasn't there.

I checked when we got to the shop this morning, and the radiator fan wasn't on either. I'm not sure if they want to do an entire replacement, or not, but couldn't a malfunctioning fan overheat the radiator and make it crack?

*edit*

I hear what you're saying about throwing parts at it, and I agree, but my girlfriend is headed out of town and she's in a panic about getting this taken care of right away.
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

after you filled it up with coolant did it overheat again?

what is making you/them think the rad is at fault?

can you/they actually SEE coolant leaking?
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

after you filled it up with coolant did it overheat again?

what is making you/them think the rad is at fault?

can you/they actually SEE coolant leaking?
It did overheat on the way there. Its about three miles away, and it was at 3/4's pegged on a 14 degree morning.

I didn't notice any coolant leaking, but then again, I didn't look, because it was at the shop. Presumably they saw it leaking/saw a crack.
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

ok first things first make sure the radiator cap is in good functioning form then burp the coolant system of air. here is a really good DIY to follow before you consider the dreaded head gaskit scenario
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Presumably they saw it leaking/saw a crack.

i wouldnt presume anything,

this forum is full of people who thought they had a simple coolant leak/overheating problem, only to find out in the end it was actually a blown head gasket,

from the little info you have revealed here, i have a funny feeling you are still going to have an overheating issue even after you replace the rad,
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Since you are at a lost, no place to work..ect.. $203 sounds like they are making a little on parts. My guess is 3 hours labor is plenty to replace radiator if the have done a Honda. Ask them if they can cut you some slack. They can easily come off $50. Then ever one will be happy and you won't have your girl friend all hot and bothered when it overheats on her after you work on it. You must be up North at those rates.