Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Non VTEC to VTEC head swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metalzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Non VTEC to VTEC head swap

I have a Honda Civic 04 LX

I want to swap a head with VTEC

Do any of you guys know what would be the necessary parts that I would need to get?
Thanks
Old 05-05-2014
SOHC Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SeAmUs_MaCk will become famous soon enough
Re: Non VTEC to VTEC head swap

Okay so I'm going to assume you have an D17A1 in your 04 Civic. What you need is an D17A2 Head, which came on the US EX Model. You will also need an EX ECU...When you get an A2 head...make sure to get the VTEC Solenoid......

Now...Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, Fuel Rail, Injectors, Etc. I'm not sure how different they are compared to the LX model that you have. I know D16's have different IM & TB....but not sure about the D17's....btw you can google all this stuff....

Try a search next time.... I'm just in a good mood. For instance I know that the d16y7 injectors are different cc then the y8 injectors. You have to do your research....It's not as simple as slapping a A2 head on and your good to go....(Well if you want VTEC to work)

You are also going to want a new head gasket, and since you have it off anyway (and if you don't plan on turbocharging it) Get some ARP head Bolts...If you think you may turbo down the road, get Head Studs. If you are asking a question as general as this though, I would hope that you aren't going to do this swap by yourself. Have someone help you that knows about Hondas...(there are lots of us out there) You are going to need to run a wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU, and i think from the IACV as well (Not sure if you have to make it a 2-3 wire switch...not sure about the d17's) There also maybe be an oil jet plug in the block between cylinder 2 & 3..... Maybe someone else can elaborate. But....good luck
Old 05-05-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Non VTEC to VTEC head swap

seamus mack,

he posted on the wrong section, he have a 7th gen... I will move this to right section...