SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

d17a2 and d17a6

Old 12-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hurleyfrank is an unknown quantity at this point
Question d17a2 and d17a6

Hi everyone! My name is frank and its going to be my first post on this forum!

About me: I'm 23, my first language is french ( sorry for the future typo and error i'm going to do), i'm in the military and i live in montreal, canada.

I have a 03 civic DX d17a1 manual trans. 100xxx without rust ( big achievement for a all-season car in montreal) and i'm interested in economy mod.

Enough about me, let's go with the first reason i'm here today.

My car have a d17a1 in need for some love (burning 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles) and i'm looking to make my engine a bit more efficient. I'm going to change piston ring next summer.

I know i can just swap head,ecu and wire to get a A2. bit more power/economy,easy and well known. BUT, i heard somewhere that d17a6 and d17a2 ARE THE SAME, is it true? I know that the a6 is lean burn, so ecu will be different for sure.

What i'm thinking right now is putting a a2 head on my a1 and get a a6 ecu for the high mpg /lean burn.

let me know what you think!

thanks!

frank.
Old 12-15-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: d17a2 and d17a6

comment ca va vous? (lived in QC for a year and half, so i can understand french - yer english pretty good too, so don't worry :P)
the most recent one shows some of the specifications, but not sure if using an HX - D6 original model (not sure of the denomination in Canada, though...) would work in a A2 engine...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...gine-swap.html
Old 12-18-2012
Registered!!

hurleyfrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks for your input.

I've done some research about it. Here it goes.

First, Hx and Ex ecu are the same ( seen that on another forum).

Second, there is something different about the intake. Since the a6 is lean burn, the throttle must be fully open by electrical action from the ecu. So the wiring must be different.

Third, engine and head are the same on the a6 and a2.

finally, it would be too complicated to do this because of the high '' **** up possibility'' of the project ( head and ecu from a EX + the wiring and intake from a HX all that on my old A1) to be a good project.

Anyway, thanks everyone and have a nice day!
Old 12-23-2012
Registered!!

Nitrous1024 is an unknown quantity at this point

The D17A1=no VTEC
Most of the D17Ax series are actually VTEC-E (not VTEC)

I'd suggest you just buy an adjustable cam-gear and tune it for fuel efficiency when you replace your piston rings.
Old 06-07-2016
Registered!!

Visualideas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

I was wondering if you ended up getting anymore information about this? I have a similar plan for my HX engine and wanted to get more info.

I am thinking of going the opposite way, by converting my D17A6 engine to a D17A2 engine. Since the physical parts of the engine block and head are the same, I wanted to see if this is possible without too much changing of parts. I would like to have the extra HP if possible.

I am a man of limited means but a lot of time, and I am sure I can fine parts at salvage or from other sources. Any help would be appreciated though.
Old 06-09-2016
Registered!!

Nitrous1024 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Visualideas
Hi there.

I was wondering if you ended up getting anymore information about this? I have a similar plan for my HX engine and wanted to get more info.

I am thinking of going the opposite way, by converting my D17A6 engine to a D17A2 engine. Since the physical parts of the engine block and head are the same, I wanted to see if this is possible without too much changing of parts. I would like to have the extra HP if possible.

I am a man of limited means but a lot of time, and I am sure I can fine parts at salvage or from other sources. Any help would be appreciated though.
The D17A2 is still VTEC-E. You would be wasting money getting the D17A2 head as you would need the matching ECU to switch between cam profiles. The real difference between the two is really in the ECU since the fuel tables are "slightly" different. This coupled with the D17A2's VTEC-E makes the D17A2 the nicer choice, but not worth the hassle. Adding a small turbocharger that spools quickly would make a difference to your D17A6

Edit: I sold my car and bought a K20 Honda Fit (engine swap). I then began to understood what real HP and torque was. I sold the Fit, and bought a VW Golf GTI. I finally realized that boost is the only thing that matters. You can waste money on engine swaps and ECUs, but a simple turbo is always the best bang for buck (other than nitrous oxide).