Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Aem f.i.c. Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HbrandNinja will become famous soon enough
Aem f.i.c. Question

So aside from being extremely excited about just ordering the TSI extreme turbo kit for my car, i would like to know if any of you have had experience using the AEM fuel and ignition controler that it comes with? In about another month the head will be fully built and i'm ordering a custom intake manifold, so my question is i know for the stage 2 cam and the custom intake you have to tune the car for it to run right and gain the power, will the AEM fuel and ignition controller be sufficient enough to tune the car for the stage 2 cam and custom intake manifold? And let me save thousands of you from wasting your time...........im not getting kpro reguardless, eventually im getting the aem ems, but for now i wanna know if i can get done what i want with what i have.
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

Re: Aem f.i.c. Question

nothing?
Old 04-28-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If it comes with it i'd assume it would tune it to what you need. However, why so anti k-pro?
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

Im not worried about it controlling the turbo kit, i wanna know if it is capable of also tuning cam upgrades like the crower stage 2 turbo cam. And i'm not anti-kpro at all im just tired of people not getting questions answered because everybody says kpro is the only way (not true at all), i just decided to go aem cause its more compatible with stock wiring and sensors, so if this aem unit wont cut it for a full turbo build with upgraded cams and internals then i'll end up getting the full AEM EMS, but if i dont have to i dont want to.
Old 05-01-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to the folks over at dezod.com. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help you out. They did some testing with the FIC and a boosted d17.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...promising.html
http://www.dezod.com/files/FICvsEMAN.pdf
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

RiceBoy has the right idea...I'm pretty sure the FIC can be used to tune more than just a turbo kit, as it's used to specifically control fuel and ignition...so anything that requires more fuel or different timing setups can be factored in...provided you have injectors to handle the increase in fuel flow etc. But if you really want to know the specifics, contact Dezod
Old 05-01-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I followed that thread when Paul started it up. Got excited because I was turbo'd with a VAFC-II for tuning, took it off, then this info came out. I got one chillin in my room with PnP harness, and I've been itching to see how well it would tune with just my stage 1 cam, but I'm too poor for dyno costs.
Old 05-01-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HbrandNinja
Im not worried about it controlling the turbo kit, i wanna know if it is capable of also tuning cam upgrades like the crower stage 2 turbo cam. And i'm not anti-kpro at all im just tired of people not getting questions answered because everybody says kpro is the only way (not true at all), i just decided to go aem cause its more compatible with stock wiring and sensors, so if this aem unit wont cut it for a full turbo build with upgraded cams and internals then i'll end up getting the full AEM EMS, but if i dont have to i dont want to.
That's pretty silly.

People not only use K-pro on D-17s, but heavily among the K-series community, because it's the best option by far. AEM doesn't work nearly as well on street cars and is more expensive, because it has functions you'll never need.
Old 05-02-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Agreed. I want to know your reasoning for NOT going K-Pro. I'd love to hear the other side of the story.
Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
That's pretty silly.

People not only use K-pro on D-17s, but heavily among the K-series community, because it's the best option by far. AEM doesn't work nearly as well on street cars and is more expensive, because it has functions you'll never need.
Well i'm gonna have to disagree with you there. First off kpro works well with everything its compatible with, however in order to get it compatible with my car i need a new ecu and i need to get rid of my knock sensor aswell as rewire a few things. The AEM EMS is plug and play with my factory ecu and all factory sensors, with the option of using a cam gear and disabling the knock sensor. I dont have anything against people that use kpro and i understand why you do, however its "pretty silly" to assume that kpro is the only way to go. Always remember that every set up is different and uses different things. And the AEM EMS was revised, it has cought a bad rep from people who used it 6 years ago....things change! And just so you know its actually about 500 dollars cheaper than Kpro.
Old 05-03-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Based on the price difference you just stated, I think you're confusing the universal AEM EMS with the PnP AEM EMS.. MSRP on the PnP version is just over $1400, and the universal one is the $850 one.
Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Based on the price difference you just stated, I think you're confusing the universal AEM EMS with the PnP AEM EMS.. MSRP on the PnP version is just over $1400, and the universal one is the $850 one.
No i'm referring to the pnp aem ems, but i found it for 1200 not 1400. Kpro would cost me about 1600 or a little more with the cost of a new ecu.
Old 05-03-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Last I checked, it was $1100 plus donor ecu, no? I found a bunch of k20 ecus on ebay for ~$200
Old 05-03-2012
Whachya lookin at?

If you wait and get lucky. People usually sell KPRO for 1000-1200 dollars.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/02-04-RSX-HON...item20c4d2ae03

That's after a few minutes of searching.
Old 05-03-2012
Administrator
Administrator

I was talking about "brand new" status kpro, but yea, I guess I coulda mentioned that, too.. When I did the quick search for donor ecus, I did stumble upon a bunch of $1000 k-pros
Old 05-04-2012
Registered!!

i appreciate the research done for the cheap kpro hookup but either way i just like how much easier it is to get the aem ems hooked up to my ecu.
Old 05-04-2012
Whachya lookin at?

You still need to get the car on a dyno and tune it. I mean... I totally understand where your coming from were just trying to nudge you in what we feel is the right direction I don't think hooking it up is much easier than a quick swap out of the ECU itself.
Old 05-04-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HbrandNinja
Well i'm gonna have to disagree with you there. First off kpro works well with everything its compatible with, however in order to get it compatible with my car i need a new ecu and i need to get rid of my knock sensor aswell as rewire a few things. The AEM EMS is plug and play with my factory ecu and all factory sensors, with the option of using a cam gear and disabling the knock sensor. I dont have anything against people that use kpro and i understand why you do, however its "pretty silly" to assume that kpro is the only way to go. Always remember that every set up is different and uses different things. And the AEM EMS was revised, it has cought a bad rep from people who used it 6 years ago....things change! And just so you know its actually about 500 dollars cheaper than Kpro.
If I were to buy K-pro today, I could get it for $1050 including the cam gear and donor ECU.

I did not however, know a revised version of EMS had been released with the issues of the prior version revised. Everyone I've spoken to who tried the EMS on a daily driver in the past has been plagued with problems, where k-pro is pretty headache free once it's installed. Keep us updated, I'd like to see how well this new version works.
Old 05-04-2012
Registered!!

well either way right now i'm stuck with the AEM Fuel & Ignition Controler Unit and tomorrow i'm going to check out a potential dyno close by to tune my new turbo set up. Once i swap out all the internals and start the engine build i'll revisit the Stand Alone subject. Thanks for all the info and posts from everybody though, it all helps.
Old 05-04-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Sorry we didn't really give you any info on the actual AEM system. Were just trying to look out for you in the end.
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Sorry we didn't really give you any info on the actual AEM system. Were just trying to look out for you in the end.
Its all good, i contacted dezod about it and he recommends the full ems for cam and the engine build. So i guess im just gonna put the tsi turbo kit on and tune it with the aem fic that i have for it and call it a day until i start the engine build. Thanks again.