Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Just Finished Installing my Turbo!

Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I <3 My EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just Finished Installing my Turbo!

Well, I bought a TSI kit without the fuel management from local kid for 550$.. The turbo looked nice and it seemed like a deal. The charge piping was ugly and bruised up so I ordered new piping and such from TSI

I also got a super deal on a emanage with boost sensor, injectors, and the d17 pnp harness (emanage is temporary)

Ok, I started the install on 3 days ago and it was a hassle, the manifold would drop in the engine bay.. I had to use a dremel and cut away at the frame behind my fans, I also had to bend my A/C line.. It took lots of muscle and wedging before it finally fell in.

More issues.... the turbine inlet was touching against a motor mount bolt and the slave cylinder line, I had to take the turbo back out.. get the coupler on it and the coupler forced against the motor mount bolt.. this was a quick fix.

Now, the turbo outlet flange was touching the bottomside of the motor mount.. same issue as the inlet.. easy fix though

The only other big issue, the downpipe would match up.. gonna get that fabbed when I get it tuned

Ok lets move on.. The charge piping installation and everything else was extremely easy..

The startup.. ok, clamped everything together and got it all mounted and filled it up with oil again. I unplugged the spark plugs and let it roll over a few times to circulate the oil, after a minute, I crank it up and it starts immediately and doesnt stall or anything to my surprise.. it ran like **** though
which I later found out to be caused by the emanage flashing a red light..

I took it down my neighborhood road for a test drive to see if I could drive it tomorrow to the tuner.. it would start to bog and I didnt hear my b.o.v or see any boost on the gauge.. (couldve been due to the vacuum line being too thin and sucking together, gonna get new line asap)

I pulled back in my driveway to check for leaks and problems.. my brake fluid was extremely low for some reason and I filled it back up and its been fine.. Next thing I noticed was some oil drip. I didnt think it was anything major because i checked the oil return and oil pan and they werent leaking.. I checked the oil feed line and that tightened a bit more so I thought that fixed the issue..

I ended up unplugging my emanage and running on the stock ecu without injectors to see how it ran without the Eman.. It ran really nice and MUCH SMOOTHER.. I reved it to about 4k and heard the nice spool , but still no Blow off so im not sure if that was broken or not or maybe its just a silent bov.. i dont think i heard surge either so im still trying to test it..

On the way back down my neighborhood road i decided to plop it in 2nd and put it to the floor. it was a little jumpy at first then it started to get up there.. couldnt hear the turbo due to no downpipe or exhaust.. I managed to hear the spool, which made me happy but i was mainly listening for the B.O.V sound and to see if I could feel any boost.. I didnt hear the BOV so im still wondering, and it felt pretty weak..

I took it back in the garage to only notice there was more oil drip .. I looked under the hood and it was a little smoky.. mainly smell and i saw some oil around the turbo.. not too much.. Now im scared the seals are shot and i got ripped 500$

Im gonna take it to the tuner shop tomorrow and have them check everything out.

Ill organize this thread and add pics later..
Old 11-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Just Finished Installing my Turbo!

Are you still going to see the bmw tuner, or did you find a Honda guy?
Old 11-01-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Running a turbo off a stock ecu? Woah thats crazy it even ran
Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Yea, very surprised there wasn't a lack of fuel issue then you floored it...maybe the car isn't actually hitting boost.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Yes, I found a Honda tuner, I'm gonna make sure it gets tuned right.
and yeah it actually ran great , I heard the turbo spooling, but your right ... Maybe I wasn't getting boost .. my boost gauge wasn't even working and I think that was due to the vac line I used sucking together, or I just tapped the wrong vac line lol
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Actually, when I had the emanage in it would bog down after depressing the accelerator some.. I'm not sure if it was because of the red error code light... A blank map, or the previous guys map that used rsx injectors... I haven't dropped mine in yet
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

http://www.facebook.com/v/303139249713621

Theres a vid of it idling and a mild rev.. no downpipe, untuned, and i think my B.O.V is broken or incorrectly hooked up.. I was testing to see where an oil leak was coming from and came to the conclusion that it was the turbo seals :S

Last edited by I <3 My EM2; 11-02-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: d
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

I dont have facebook.
Old 11-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I have facebook and can't view it.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Ahh strange, let me upload it to youtube for you all, and another update, think I found the oil leak, the brass screw on fitting on top of the turbo for the oil feed was loose and bubbling out oil, its either that or the powersteering fluid leak.. after I tested it the car yesterday I noticed my steering was very jumpy.. i checked the fluid and it was extremely low.. wierd.. i filled it up and it went low again today.. tomorrow when I wake up ill see the culprit
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Here you go my friends [autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1087& transactionid=1320282007-9937160252&posted_by=I_autoblankauto_&lt;3_autobla nkauto_My_autoblankauto_EM2_www.civicforums.com&yo utube_video_id=gE9asd2KybM[/autostream]
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Here you go my friends [autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1087& transactionid=1320282027-9937160252&posted_by=I_autoblankauto_&lt;3_autobla nkauto_My_autoblankauto_EM2_www.civicforums.com&yo utube_video_id=gE9asd2KybM[/autostream]

IM not sure what the rattling is
Old 11-03-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...hate you so much, jk. im jelly, you're lucky bro! keep up the good work.
Old 11-03-2011
R.R. Adict

JohnHenry is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, and congrats! Crazy low miles for an 01', and now boosted, yee haaa!
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

It's looking good, man. Hopefully you get that oil leak fixed and get the E-Manage set up and tuned. Then you'll really fly.
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the support and grats guys, anyone know why my powersteering fluid keeps going very low, i filled it once already and it keeps disappearing.. it could be a P.S fluid leak and not turbo seals.. still looking trying to diagnose it.

If anyone needs help or has any questions on a TSI kit please ask me, I'd love to help out.. its MUCH easier to install than people say.. Im 17 Years old and did it by myself and I never even changed my oil or a spark plug before.. lol
Old 11-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

PS fluid doesn't just disappear, I think you have a leak bro.
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Yea I think the leak you are seeing isn't engine oil. I'm not good with diagnosing that stuff but if it isn't leaking when the engine is off, you could try taking the belt off of the PS pump and run the car for a bit and see if it starts leaking again, that will tell you for sure if it's the PS that's leaking. If that is the problem, which, from what you say, seems like it, then it's just a matter of discovering where in the system it is leaking from, which shouldnt be that hard because the system is pretty basic and doesn't run all over the engine bay.
Old 11-03-2011
R.R. Adict

JohnHenry is an unknown quantity at this point

You got boost, remove the belts to the a/c, and power steering---DRAG RACING STYLE-- easy gain on torque and hp-- spool quicker, better for straight runs though. If you installed it all, you should have no sweat fixing the leak issue... I'm curious to see a video of the acceleration and boosting when you get her finished.
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Thanks, i'm trying not to take the turbo and manifold off because that was a pain to get in and everything just barely fits, I noticed some oil in the compressed air charge pipe coming right of the turbo, im not sure if it got in there from a drip from above or the turbo Ill have a video hopefully within the next few days of some 0-60 pulls
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

What the crap is that braaaaa sound after you rev it up. And yea that is a ugly leak, you don't want your engine bay catching fire.

Good luck with your build.
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Thats what i'm trying to figure out, i have no idea what that rattle is.. it used to do it stock but not as bad.. only thing done to it was straight piped, muffler delete, and aftermarket headers and intake.

By the way, i took it to the shop today, they are gonna take care of the rest for me and sort out all the minor problems.. the oil leak.. tuning, downpipe fab, fuel pump and everything.. I should have it back at the lastest next Tuesday.. i'll have some nice HQ vids that will be posted and i'll be running emanage for a bit until kpro.. it will be nice for those who wanna see how emanage handles and works out
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Ok another update:

The guy at the shop (Powerfab Automotive, Houston TX) checked everything out and said ditch the emanage and go with aem ems and that k-pro is glitchy. Also im eliminating the cat and getting a greddy ti-c exhaust. Should be done in a week. The final bill is estimated to be 4600$ :S after tuning, downpipe fab, the aem ems, aem wideband, complete tune, labor and fixing every little issue that i currently have.. in the long run its gonna be VERY reliable and expecting around 200 HP .. can't wait

Last edited by I <3 My EM2; 11-05-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: k
Old 11-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Don't get AEM EMS!

K-pro is much better, if you want hardcore comparisons from multiple people go to clubrsx, k20a.org, honda-tech. K-pro is superior.
Old 11-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I should expand on that statement.

AEM would be good if you had a dedicated race car making much higher numbers, it has a few options that k-pro does not have. It is however, much less user friendly and takes longer to tune. You have a street car, with a mild d17 build, go k-pro, don't listen to the tuner. I've never heard of k-pro being glitchy, that's bizarre.
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Yeah your right, I asked him about k-pro and said aem ems would be better and easier to resell if I ever needed to since it can be used on cars other than honda, also he said aem ems is easier to tune .. lmao. i guess for them its easier because I think they use it a lot! Its a very very professional shop .. I went by and made sure, I think im gonna just do the aem since the tuner is more comfortable with it, could reach higher numbers with it and hes a honest man, i spent a couple hours at the shop and phone speaking with him. Its a popular shop and they had some very high end cars in the lot that they tuned and built..

The only thing I heard, was that the aem ems cant control the cars A/C and fans and would need extensive wiring to get it working.. if thats the case then ill force kpro on him
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

I also added a GReddy Ti-C exhaust to the installation.. do you know anything about those? I hope its not raspy, i would love it was a deep sound.. im getting rid of the cat too so hopefully that helps
Old 11-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Read this.

If you're unaware, Andyman holds the record for the highest horse power turbo d17.

Originally Posted by andyman97
This has been an ongoing debate for a long time, so here is a thread dedicated to the subject. This is an opinion of mine but it honestly isn't biased. I have run almost every engine management available for the d17 on a very high horsepower engine and have had the ability to test them with tunes from some of the most avid, well known, and well respected tuners in the industry.

It is ultimately your own decision on what system you choose to run but heed this advice if you want reliability, power, and longevity. Without further ado....

What system should I use?
Short answer, Kpro. You can read all about the options here: http://www.hondata.com/kpro.html
The system goes for $1175 (as opposed to $1700 for the AEM) through a Hondata certified dealer. What that means is, you can pick up ANY k series manual transmission engine computer from the list of comatible ecu's on hondata's website, find an authorized hondata dealer and hook up with them to get the ecu sent to hondata for programming.

What's so great about kpro?
Kpro maintains the use of your on board data system (OBD). Why would you want that? Because if a sensor goes or you have a misfire in the cylinders, the ecu will still warn you of danger with MIL's/CEL's.

But AEM EMS doesn't use CEL's, and they make the car run like crap when they come on, why would I want something that still gives CEL's?
In short, to save your engine before you destroy it. If you have a bad cam sensor, the kpro will let you know. The AEM will not. You have to know what voltage the sensor is supposed to operate at and find the inconsistancies through datalogs/sensor voltage monitoring.

Why else would I want to use Kpro over the AEM EMS?
Honestly, because AEM is geared more towards high performance race cars, mainly in excess of 800-900 whp, not so much daily driver street cars. This is not to say that your car can%u2019t be streetable with the AEM, but on a d17, kpro is honestly much more efficient. The fact that the kpro is built off of a stock honda computer, it allows your car to run much smoother and is much more user friendly when it comes to set up and tuning.

What about piggybacks, like the Emanage, AEM F/IC, or XFC PCS?
If you want to run 6 or 7 psi and not make much power, go for it. They%u2019re a cheaper alternative but they in no way, shape, or form compare to a true standalone. The main reason for hassle is you can not run open loop on a piggyback, so your stock ecu is fighting every step of the way to correct your fuel and ignition timing. This isn%u2019t what you want, especially when you%u2019re making power. All the piggyback does is %u201Ctry%u201D to trick the stock ecu into putting out the correct pulses to the injectors and spark plugs. It%u2019s an extremely inferior way to control your engine.

At about 6-7 psi, you're liable to make an additional 20-40 whp with a standalone than you are a piggyback, depending on the tuner. You are also extremely limited with the amount of max power you can make with a piggyback. I can't recall having seen anyone get much over 200 whp on a piggyback.

I have a non-vtec motor, can I use kpro too?
Yes. The vtec ecu that you will be using requires a signal from a vtec solenoid. If you don't have one, it will trigger the CEL. But you can set the parameters for vtec to engage beyond the engine's capability, ie: 9000 rpm or 30 psi of boost. Keep in mind that without a vtec head, your camshaft options are limited to a custom grind cam.

I heard that you have to relfash your key when you change the ECU. Do you have to do that with kpro, too?
No, you do not HAVE to reflash the key with kpro. There is a parameter in the software to disable the immbolilzer. If you check that box, you don't have to do anything but your immbolizer will not work and the key light on the gauge cluster will flash continuously. If you want to get rid of the light, and/or want the immobilzer to work, you must flash the key, ecu and immobilizer from Honda for about $30-100, depending on the dealership.

What about my super awesome automatic transmission? It's so fast and strong and awesome, I can use kpro with it, too, right?
Nope, sorry. Kpro won't work with any autos.

In summary:
If you want reliable power, run the kpro. If you want problems and headaches, go ahead and be cheap and pick up that piggyback.

Questions and comments welcome, but this is an informative thread to people who are seeking answers. Please don%u2019t pollute it with nonsense and garbage. Thanks.
http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/new...reply&p=129610

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-07-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by I <3 My EM2
Yeah your right, I asked him about k-pro and said aem ems would be better and easier to resell if I ever needed to since it can be used on cars other than honda
Easier to re-sell, I'd say that's a toss up.

Look at k20a or clubrsx, k-pro'd ecus sell fast and for nearly the same cost as new. The average price would be $900 for the ecu itself, and $100 for the d17 k-pro cam gear. That's difficult to beat.

also he said aem ems is easier to tune .. lmao. i guess for them its easier because I think they use it a lot! Its a very very professional shop .. I went by and made sure
I'd say it's definitely because they use it more often.

I think im gonna just do the aem since the tuner is more comfortable with it, could reach higher numbers with it and hes a honest man, i spent a couple hours at the shop and phone speaking with him. Its a popular shop and they had some very high end cars in the lot that they tuned and built..
Then go to a tuner comfortable with k-pro who specializes in Hondas

I'd rather go to a shop who has a Honda shop race car, than a shop with a Veyron shop race car. Tuning a 4cyl engine is much different than a 6cyl engine, if they mostly work on high end cars, they might not be the most appropriate shop in reality.

The only thing I heard, was that the aem ems cant control the cars A/C and fans and would need extensive wiring to get it working.. if thats the case then ill force kpro on him
This is true.

EMS is a completely standalone ecu, it controls the engine, that's it. If you want to maintain AC and such then you'll need to figure out how to wire in a dual ecu set-up using a combination of the stock ecu and EMS.

I'm not bashing the shop or the tuner in at all, I'm sure he's drawing on his experience working with different platforms to recommend you AEM EMS, because for some uses it's superb. On your D17 street car however, it really doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the great replys, to be honest, I would rather get a kpro, but my dads funding it and he doesn't know crap and the tuner talked him in to aem ems. I read the part where there was an a/c problem .. he went and called the tuner and the timer said it will be fine and hes never heard that... It will be a pain in the a.. trying to tell him otherwise... If not I guess he will have to see the hard way or make sure you tuner/shop figures it out since they said they can handle anything

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Finished Installing my Turbo!