Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Planning to turbo the D17

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Planning to turbo the D17

I have a NA d17 right now with only I/H/E and I plan on running a turbo. Right now I am preparing for the d16y8 manifold swap and had a few questions and what not. Ive heard users say when you do the d16y8 swap the engine runs lean at idle because of increased air flow. can the engines oxygen sensors not compensate for this? and when you boost the d17 why do you have to run a piggyback or a standalone? wouldnt the map sensor inside the manifold (good for up to about 10.63 psi) sense "Hey, theres a lot more pressure in this b*tch, i should tell the ecu to dump more fuel in". isnt that what its for?
Old 06-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Planning to turbo the D17

No, the 02 sensors can't compensate for it, it's to far outside normal conditions to adjust. If I weren't I'd already have done the swap.

Why do you need to run a piggy back or a standalone, I'm going to assume your asking why run the standalone. You should run the standalone for the increased abilities it gives you while tuning and running the engine, on a piggy back you only have partial control over your the ecu because it's fighting the adjustments you make.
Old 06-20-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Re: Planning to turbo the D17

I was just wondering why the map sensor and all the other air sensors cant detect the extra air in the intake manifold and tell the ecu to compensate for it and up the fuel pressure. isnt that what the map sensor was made to do?