Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Stage 1 Cams

Old 06-27-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stage 1 Cams

seeing as how I feel like I need to re-do my headgasket, I threw a stage 1 cam in with the list of **** I need to do to my car. lol

Plus, I figure if I use the AEM F/IC I have lying around, I can squeeze a little more power out of her.
Old 06-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

after the second day, i most likely recommend it if you need to take head out anyway. I am starting to be impressed with the cam after the ECU adjusted!
Hope nothing else will come loose tomorrow, all the stuff i was too chicken to tighten are covered already (i guess...)
Old 06-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

So If I am running a si (us EX) i dont need to do any changes to my head correct? Just swap out the old cam with the new correct?
Old 06-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yup! As mindbomber posted in the first post
Old 06-28-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i've been wanting one for a year now, almost baught it with my tax back... but i have to save for school...

ps: had some real fun with an rx8 and 06 intagra the other night. can't say what we did =D. but vtec helped a lot, with a little help from my exhaust setup. i really don't understand those hating on the vtec system on the d17. the car has 95whp and i was very impressed with it. what sucks is the acceleration from 0-80 km... no vtec and it doesn't move at all. how ever if someone lets say wanted to hit 180km (just over 100m/h) this vtec "could" be quite helpful =D.
Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

I wish I knew about this when I was being smoked by fully loaded u-haul trucks at red lights.
Msc25 I imagine Rx8 1st 06 2sd you behind when you where at the "track".
Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

tencc will become famous soon enough

Glad you like the cam. I just got mine two days ago. Plan on slappin it in along with a timing belt change and energy engine mount inserts the 1st week of July.
Old 06-28-2011

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
I wish I knew about this when I was being smoked by fully loaded u-haul trucks at red lights.
Msc25 I imagine Rx8 1st 06 2sd you behind when you where at the "track".
it was friendly with the rx8 and integra side by side, and i was obviously outclassed and in the back, but still quite fun. probabley won't do that again though. i like s curves, slower "tracks". the higher speed thing is just kinda dumb.
Old 06-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You could probably net around 150whp with a stage 2, Speeddownzone.

Having to buy the retainers, springs, k-pro and tuning makes that extra hp very expensive though. I would personally P&P the head and maximize the gains from the stage 1 before stepping up to stage 2.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Yea a fast car any one can have its all about how much money your willing to spend and some people I know rather but a mod or something before buying something to eat. A course is were the real drivers are at.

Yea that is alot of $$$$ stage 1 sounds way more practical since anyone looking in to this probably already have intake and exhaust systems. But you and I both know there allways that one guy that goes for it. I would just like to see that one in acting in a 1/4 mile next to a stock one for comparison.
Old 06-29-2011
Banned

janmmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

thankful you reminiscent of the cam. I just got mine two days ago. Plan on slappin it in along with a timing belt change and liveliness engine mount introduce the 1st week of July.
Old 06-29-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Take your time and take tons and tons of pictures... Make a build thread and post the pictures on here
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

Howzit Just slapped the stage 1 in last night. I don't know if its me but I can tell theres a different cam. It is more lively and it sounds and idles differently. The sound could be the new header. Anyway I'm loving the cam and the new "performance".
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ask Me About DIY Stuff V2!

Crower Cam DYI (just the stage one) please.
Old 07-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Marco, I moved your post to this thread because it fits more appropriately here, Gearbox would not be able to provide you with a diy for something this complex.

I haven't seen a diy on installing a cam on a d17 before, but if you check our engine diys you'll see Triz's head dissassembly video, using that and the timing belt diy you should be able to get a good idea of what's involved.

If someone here is planning on installing a stage 1 in the near future a DIY for thje site would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

Day 2 after installing the stage 1 cam and there is a noticeable difference in the way the car sounds idles and overall performance. I can hear the cam (maybe the valves need to be adjusted again) but the one thing thats noticeable is the car wants to rev compared to stock. Its alot more fun to drive.
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point

IF I'm going to do the timing belt and the head gasket nest weekend, should I just thro a stage one in? How much more labour am I looking at?
Old 07-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If your doing the timing belt and head gasket already it shouldn't be much extra work, I haven't done the install myself but I've disassembled a head and it wasn't to time consuming.

You might need to ask for expidated shipping if you want it to arrive by next weekend.
Old 07-10-2011
Registered!!

If you are doing a timing belt change, you are more than half way there. Its well worth the little extra work.
Old 07-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

yeah, takes time to get the cam - schedule more than a week.
takes 1-2 hour more to remove/install?
Old 07-10-2011
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

anyone in ontario/canada interested in some NA modding I have a lot of NA parts im looking to get rid of in the near future. Stage 1 cam, and a few other things. Send me a pm. If anyone here is loving the added 30ish hp they gained from the cam and would like to say be up around 180whp all motor killing kseries with a d17 ALLMOTOR then pm me. Preference to canadians but americans if you're interested let me know because I have some rare parts for unbelievable prices. I decided to go boost and my na build is just kinda at a standstill and I want someone to be able to use it and dyno and find out the true NA d17 potential. I have pistons, cams, heads, (yes all plural lol). so pm and we can talk!
Old 07-10-2011
Registered!!

Howzit, I just sent you a PM. Hope it went through, Aloha
Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

Milkey will become famous soon enough

Ok so I just got the stage 1 cam installed, and all I can say is wtf. My first impression was the low end was about the same, but boy did it keep pulling 3rd gear and on. Then I drove it mild for a bit, got some dinner with the gf then as we were leaving I stepped on it in 1st... My girlfriend instantly started laughing uncontrollably followed by "your never allowed to drive like that again". I think the ecu takes time to catch up, but once it does its so noticeable. I'm having so much fun with the car now, it's how honda should of made it from the start. The powerband just feels so smooth, it reminds me of a rollercoaster, its just this constant pull until you tell it to stop. Only side notes are, it is a bit lopey, it def makes your car louder, and it was 110% worth the cash.
Old 09-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

+ rep for the review and posting the link to the cams on sale.

Update if you feel any difference once the ecu has updated more.
Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

I can't get over how fun it is now, it's 11pm and I wanna go out and just cruise around with the windows and the moonroof open.
Old 09-26-2011

you guys are kill'en me! stupid school tak'en all my money. i really, really want one!
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Just take out a little extra on your student loans you won't regret it.
Old 09-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^Don't tempt me to do that haha!
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Just something interesting I noticed while looking at dynos. From the stage 1 cam dyno where the guy got 125whp, he also got about 106tq, on hondata's website a stock em1 b16a Dyno's at about 139whp and like 95tq. I think it's fair to say with less weight and more tq, I think the D17A2 performs at least as well as an EM1 Si stock (and stock EP3 because that aren't to far off in numbers). For about the $1000 I spent on I/H/E and Cam I think it's worth driving a car similar to an Si for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

last was 32MPG, city/hwy (rush hour, so sometimes it's 2nd to 3rd gear in HWY )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 1 Cams