Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough
Re: Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The local civic club has a group buy on hasport mounts going on, I could get mine for a lilttle over $300, so tempting.

They're doing a group buy on koni yellows for $400 too, I'd definitely be buying those if i didn't just get my teins.
Maybe you could buy a bunch and sell them on here for cheap? lol
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

2500 for a K20A3 is really expensive IMO. You can get a K20A2 for that price nowadays on local forums or craigslist... k20a.org is another great place for parts also local forums like mentioned above.
Old 06-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shift-E
Maybe you could buy a bunch and sell them on here for cheap? lol
Haha if I bought ten sets they might get suspicous.
Old 06-14-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Haha if I bought ten sets they might get suspicous.
A man can dream, can't he? But I think you should definitely hop on those while the offers there. You might not get the chance to get them that cheap again.

Maybe picking up 2 pairs won't look as suspicious? :P I'm not saying for me, maybe tbohar would be grateful lol. I know he's been on and off with the whole k-swap thing.
Old 06-14-2011

Originally Posted by tbohar
2500 for a K20A3 is really expensive IMO. You can get a K20A2 for that price nowadays on local forums or craigslist... k20a.org is another great place for parts also local forums like mentioned above.
Ah, well I don't know much about pricing of all the parts for a swap. I'm not interested in a K Swap anytime soon anyways, so it doesn't affect me really. Just thought I would put it out there. You know what they say, sharing is caring
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha I agree with ya there... You can pick up a K20A3 for around 1000 ... even as low as 700 if you look hard enough with that kind of mileage.
Old 06-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^Or $100 if needs to be re-assembled lol
Old 06-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^A 100 dollar K20 is what I call that a K20AScary
Old 06-15-2011

Haha I agree with ya there... You can pick up a K20A3 for around 1000 ... even as low as 700 if you look hard enough with that kind of mileage.
This isn't just the engine though, it's also the engine, transmission, shift cables, ECU and all harnesses(uncut). What would you think the price of that would go for?
Old 06-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

All that for around 1000. I'm not kidding A3s can be had very cheap. You can get a K20A2 with a 6 speed for 2500 nowadays.
Old 06-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Here is a quick search on Kijijji... or however you spell it. A k20a2 with 86k KMS on it for 3000. Including tranny / shifter box etc. Just to give you an idea. The A2 is worth at least twice as much as the A3. That being said 3000 is becoming expensive for A2s.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ278111478

K20A3 with auto tranny 1400$

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ288742169

K20A3 with what looks to be tranny attached 1250

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ223509989

Last edited by BlueEM2; 06-15-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2011

Here is a quick search on Kijijji... or however you spell it. A k20a2 with 86k KMS on it for 3000. Including tranny / shifter box etc. Just to give you an idea. The A2 is worth at least twice as much as the A3. That being said 3000 is becoming expensive for A2s.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ278111478

K20A3 with auto tranny 1400$

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ288742169

K20A3 with what looks to be tranny attached 1250

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ223509989
I see. So if I ever do swap, I'd want the A2, not the A3. 200hp vs 160, right? Is 3000 the average on A2's?
Old 06-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

It's not the HP that makes the huge difference its the potential power 3000 is okay from a store on an A2 but they can be had for cheaper from private sellers
Old 06-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

My k20a3 was $100, no tranny - some assembley required..
I saw a k24a2 with a 6 speed for $700 - blown head gasket.
A k20a2 for $1700 with a 6speed - under 100k km.
Someone parting an RSX has been trying to sell a k20a2 w/ the 6 speed and all the swap parts for $2500 - it's been for sale for months.
Old 06-16-2011

What would you pay for a K20Z3 out of a 2010 Civic SI with 6k km?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ290679040
Old 06-16-2011
Whachya lookin at?

3700 is good for an Z3 with a 6 spd tranny But you can always do better on private sale.
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

xxxcivic2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

For any of you guys considering the Kswap: I went from an EM2 (d17) w/ race header, catback, CAI, lightweight flyweel, exedy clutch to a stock FG2 (k20z3) and the difference is huge. You don't have to be over 5k rpm to feel it. Everywhere in the power band is immensely improved.
Old 06-17-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

I love k series lol, forget the k20s get the k24s that where its at. Most of the k24s are the same price as the k20a3 except the new k24s. The k24a2 is the best and you can get it for 2k.

Just the best thing bout k series is they love boost
Old 07-20-2011

Remember that K20A3 I brought up before? The dude still hasn't sold it and he's reduced the price to 1200. If I had a manual transmission already, I think I would have bargained him down to something nice and cheap :P
Old 07-20-2011
02 coupe DX

Lopes101 is an unknown quantity at this point

My k20a3 was $100, no tranny - some assembley required..
I saw a k24a2 with a 6 speed for $700 - blown head gasket.
A k20a2 for $1700 with a 6speed - under 100k km.
Someone parting an RSX has been trying to sell a k20a2 w/ the 6 speed and all the swap parts for $2500 - it's been for sale for months.
Can we put a six speed tranny in our cars?
Old 07-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Lopes - If you have a k-swap you can put the six speed manual, yes.

Shift-e - an average k20a3 price is $500; it's the mounts, Hondata, wiring harness, subframe and everything that costs a lot.
Old 07-20-2011

Shift-e - an average k20a3 price is $500; it's the mounts, Hondata, wiring harness, subframe and everything that costs a lot.
But like I said before, it isn't just the engine though, it's the engine, transmission, shift cables, ECU and all harnesses(uncut). I probably would have low balled to like 700 lol he really needs to sell it he says :P
Old 07-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think the prices of rsx have come down so much that its prolly cheaper to just buy the car to begin with
Old 07-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shift-E
But like I said before, it isn't just the engine though, it's the engine, transmission, shift cables, ECU and all harnesses(uncut). I probably would have low balled to like 700 lol he really needs to sell it he says :P
That's just a complete swap, your still missing a ton of parts that are specific to the swap.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, it's just not something to under estimate.

I think I'm just going to do a built D17 w/ a stage 3 cam and nitrous.
Old 07-23-2011
02 coupe DX

Lopes101 is an unknown quantity at this point

cool, I still think we should have a 6th gear anyway so my car doesnt rev at 3grand doing 120 km/h. Not that my car has bad fuel economy its flippin great! basically I would just like to claim 6 speed...
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

what do ya'll think about the k24a4? i have a guy here close that is willing to sell me one for 375. if i swap the head will it be better? because i know the k24a4 has 160 hp compaired to the 2 somthin of the a2. so any help would be appreciated. and i know long time no see.lol i been so busy with school and work i aint been able to get on here.
Old 07-24-2011

That's just a complete swap, your still missing a ton of parts that are specific to the swap.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, it's just not something to under estimate.

I think I'm just going to do a built D17 w/ a stage 3 cam and nitrous.
No raining at all, since i wasn't actually considering buying it lol. I'm just wondering what good prices actually are :P

And personally, I think I would prefer to build a D17 too after reading all the cool stuff people have done to them. Don't you have a k20 though?
Old 07-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Shift - I have a k20a3 at the moment and a ton of random dc5 parts ready for the swap, I just don't have everything i need yet or it would be in the car. Ultimately I want a built k20/24.

Cmiller - I know how you feel with school. The k24a4 won't be much faster than a stage 1 camed d17, it'll just have more torque. If you buy k-pro and swap a k20a2 head on then it'll be fast.
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

i planed on swaping the heads. and the guy is also selling a k24a1? or 3 lol either way its basically the same motor but this one he said the timing jumped and he only wants 2 for it. if i rebuild it completely it should be fine right? i plan on building the motor on the side while im finishing up my b2200. that way i can drive the truck while i swap the motor. im going to look for that thread again with the stuff you need. and im going to price an a2 head while im at it.lol thanks for the help too.
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

oh and i also been seeing this thing where they put the k20a2 head on the k24. any advantages? and what does it take to do. and you know what i think about the mounts? i think somone who is good with metal work should buy some, then start making them and selling them cheap on here. it would def be worth it.lol i'd be in to buy it. i cant see 500 for a set of motor mounts. you could prob make them for like 50 and sell them for 200.

Quick Reply: Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.