Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.

Originally Posted by arubio0812
Hey guys just bought the k20a3 block with a clutch, intake manifold, fuel rail, timing belt cover, and the bolts to attach the the cylinder head to the block. Now do i have to make any mods to put a k24 head on the k20a3 block?
You've got it backwards, you put a k20 head on a k24 block normally. If you want to upgrade your head look for any K20 head aside from the a3. To make that work you would need K-pro and upgraded piston rods.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-17-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arubio0812 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.

dude you guys rock, ok so im looking for k20A2 rods, K20a2 head, and a type s (kpro'ed), wiring harness, and type s tranny for a good K20 build into my EM? It seems tooo easy. Im sure i can put the head on the block and even the tranny but should i leave internal work, and wiring to the pros?
Old 05-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

dude you guys rock, ok so im looking for k20A2 rods, K20a2 head, and a type s (kpro'ed), wiring harness, and type s tranny for a good K20 build into my EM? It seems tooo easy. Im sure i can put the head on the block and even the tranny but should i leave internal work, and wiring to the pros?
I've never heard someone call a k20 build easy lol.

The tranny are head are simple, you just need to follow the correct procedure for torquing your head studs down. My suggestion for the bottom end would be dropping off the parts at the machine shop and having them check to make sure the sleeves are in good condition and the block isn't warped, then do the install for you and balancing.

You don't need to get a type-s tranny unless you want a 6 speed, 1 extra gear isn't worth the cost premium in my opinion. Some of the hardcore guys even prefer the 5 speed for the longer gears, since that's an advantage for drag racing.

At this point, if you can afford it, decide if you want a naturally aspriated or forced induction engine. I'm doing basically an identical build with the same starting point , If I'm going as far as swapping rods and buying k-pro though I wouldn't stick with a stock bottom end. Get something stronger, like CP pistons and Carillo rods, and bump up the compression if your not planning on going turbo.

When you get your k-pro shop around, I've seen it go as low as $800 from forum sponsors.
The following users liked this post:
Kalebp02 (08-17-2020)
Old 05-09-2011
Registered!!

Idk im about to start the search for a cylinder head, i know the k20a2 head is the best, i want to produce 240hp on a N/a build, im assuming its near impossible with a k20a3 head?
Old 05-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... real hard to achieve with a A3 head but doable... definitely get an a2 head even though its going to cost you more. Getting an A3 head up to that power will cost u more than the cost difference between the two.
Old 05-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Go to k20a.org to find a head.
Old 05-09-2011
Registered!!

i found this on ebay the guy doesnt know if its a rsx base or rsx type s, sooo im leaning towards its a a3 head... if i get a2 cams and cam gear with a kpro would i pretty much have a a2 head?
Old 05-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

i found this on ebay the guy doesnt know if its a rsx base or rsx type s, sooo im leaning towards its a a3 head... if i get a2 cams and cam gear with a kpro would i pretty much have a a2 head?
No, the difference between the A2 and A3 heads is in the casting, nothing you do will make an A3 head perform anything like an A2. Since your going for 240hp N/A try to find a bare A2 casting without cams, valve, springs, retainers or guides or a head that's already built, because you'll need at least stage 2 cams to reach your goal.

Welcome to the K-swap club, where everything costs five times what you expect lol.
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Man im starting to think about selling my car and getting a rsx type s lol, idk im gunna clean up the block and post pics of my civic and the block with parts tomorrow night to let u see what im working with
Old 05-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Buying a factory type-s isn't a bad idea. A DC5 is a little heavier and not as cool as a k-swapped civic, but you don't need to deal with doing the swap either.
Old 05-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I was about to forget this...
Have you guys read the article in honda tuning about the chain tensioner?
Old 05-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

No, but I've seen billet chain tension guards on clubrsx and other places. Does it have to do with them?
Old 05-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

enjoy!
honda tuning may 2010

Warning - I don't know how much truth is in this article, since i am still rocking me D17...

Name:  timingchain1.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  222.6 KB

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-16-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Name:  timingchain2.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  237.2 KB
Old 05-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Name:  timingchain3.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  239.7 KB
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

DementedEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just joined this forum today, and Im looking into swapping my 03 EM2. I was just wondering what would be the better motor and transmission swap for it. Im looking for power and im not to knowledgable with the honda stuff barely gotten into it. Aslo how much does a kswap cost you normally and what all do you have to get for it too be a successful swap?
Old 05-17-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty well all cover if you read this thread from page 1.

The absolute BEST setup is the k24 block and a k20a2 head coupled with a k20a2 6 speed transmission

Second best is k20z3 swap (only because they are newer)
third is k20a2..

Done PROPERLY it will cost you 6-7 thousand.. yes thousand dollars to swap a k20a2 when it's all said and done.... That includes all the little bullshit stuff you run into. It can be done for cheaper if your patient... but who is patient when doing a swap?
Old 05-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

There are also K-swap faqs stickied directly above and below this thread and many other threads that could be found by searching. The average costs that tbohar quoted are without labour.
Old 05-17-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^thanks for adding that.. thats IF you do the swap yourself... Unless you can find a shop that will supply the K20 and will do the swap for an X amount of money... most places charge between 7-10, 000 dollars here in Canada from what I Found, but that includes labour. slightly cheaper in older gen civics.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

So reading every post on this thread still has me jumping around between keeping the d17 or swaping it to a k24a2. i really want thr k20 cause it looks alot nice but the money is whats a big problem, another reason i want to swap is cause my transmission recently went out and im havinfg problems with a donor motor and tranny i got.and with me being extremely new to this stuff makes it really hard.
Old 05-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I was going to swap but decided against it... It's just not a worthwhile swap yet. Wait until the K's get down to a reasonable price. Even the mounts are very very expensive, I mean 550 dollars expensive.
Old 05-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I'm definitely opting for the innovative steel mounts, I'll spend the $150 I save on a nice valve cover or something else that has more of a visual impact. The price of K20a2 swap w/ a 6 speed has come down from $3500-4500 in the last year to $2000-3000, that's huge and it's because DC5s are at the point where minor accidents can result in complete write-offs. Give it another year or two and they won't be that hard to find for under $2000, until parts become less expensive parts are released peoplee will always opt for b-series engines in older hondas and as a result supply will increase while demand does not.
Old 05-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Found a K20A2 at a junkyard today for 2000... with 150k KMS*** on it.. so... 80k miles.. ish
Old 06-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I saw a member on K20a just recently completed a k20a2 swap into his EM2 by welding the rsx mounts in place, that's two people I've seen do that. Welding up the stock k engine mounts and doing the wiring yourself is a quick way to save $800.

It's not the best way to do it, but if my auto trans blows up and I do my swap sooner than planned I might go that route. Just temporarily.
Old 06-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Actually... that is the best way to do it as far as I know. The OEM mounts are better than Hasport as far as I know. If you can land it at the right spot and get the engine at the proper angle your golden. Not only that but you can probably pick the mounts up for 100 dollars if you can find someone that is selling them on craigslist. I don't think the wiring is that bad. Xproductionz sure made it look easy anyway.
Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Alright guys here we go, I'm going to do a k-series swap on my 03 civic ex so I'm in desperate need of sites and all sorts of stuff that will help me find a motor, tranny, subframe, pedals, shift assembly, basically everything I need to have a successful swap. I am going with a k20a2 and I wanna go with just a 5 speed tranny. My car is currently automatic. Thanks in advance if you give me any tips or info on some of these things. Have a great day.
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Craigstlist, ebay, and junkyards are your best friend if your looking for swap parts... keep your eyes peeled and you will find everything you need
Old 06-14-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Just found this in a local honda forum. I have no clue if this guys price is reasonable for what he's offering, I'm just posting this up for people who may be interested near the Ottawa region.

**I AM NOT ADVERTISING HIM, I DON'T EVEN KNOW THE GUY. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE FOR ANYONE LOOKING TO SWAP**

http://www.ottawahondaclub.com/forum...?topic=13827.0
Old 06-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The local civic club has a group buy on hasport mounts going on, I could get mine for a lilttle over $300, so tempting.

They're doing a group buy on koni yellows for $400 too, I'd definitely be buying those if i didn't just get my teins.
Old 06-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The local civic club has a group buy on hasport mounts going on, I could get mine for a lilttle over $300, so tempting.

They're doing a group buy on koni yellows for $400 too, I'd definitely be buying those if i didn't just get my teins.

Quick Reply: Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.