Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

the D17 does not suck

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: the D17 does not suck

Originally Posted by shwoogie420
wow listen grundel i live in the us not canada and could give a **** about you.... dont tell me what to do where to race how to race....this is a car site and i wasnt asking mommy permission to race...the point of this thread was to show the d17 isnt a complete pos not whether street racing is ok.... so shut up on it already.... and yes i will point it at a tree...with you and miller between it....but im done you wanna talk car **** fine if you gonna keep telling me about street racing save it im done replying
What a douche, what are you 16 yrs old cause your acting like it. Grow the **** up man and face reality.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bomerman19
enough with the street racing legal/illegal bullshit it's annoying some one is always going to be out there doing it. it;s like arguing which religion is best all it will do is get you no where fast
In all fairness, he started it.
Seriously, though, I'm not trolling. He can discuss the D17 just fine without degenerating into Fast and Furious idiocy. If he can't, then that's his problem - he can grow up and ignore the counter-trolling.
You're right in that he's not gonna listen or accept that his detractors are right... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point out how stupid he is being.

Originally Posted by shwoogie420
wow listen grundel i live in the us not canada and could give a **** about you.... dont tell me what to do where to race how to race....this is a car site and i wasnt asking mommy permission to race...the point of this thread was to show the d17 isnt a complete pos not whether street racing is ok.... so shut up on it already.... and yes i will point it at a tree...with you and miller between it....but im done you wanna talk car **** fine if you gonna keep telling me about street racing save it im done replying
I've kept my posts pretty tame. Go ahead and read them again. Never wished any harm to you directly (only assumed you'll meet it eventually). Never got all "expletive" at you directly (in spite of being tempted from the beginning). But ...

You're a complete douche.

The point of this thread was NOT to show that the D17 isn't a POS. The point of your thread (and your UTube videos) was to show that the D17 is great for street racing. Look back at your posts and tell us we've got it wrong? Oh, you can't. Right.

You can't actually come up with any argument, so you're falling back onto "**** you" and "shut up". Come up with an actual argument. Or shut up. And **** you, too.

This IS a car site. Not a street racing site. Discussing the D17 is welcome - street racing bravado isn't. Stick to your own advice and save the racing ****, stick to the car ****, and you can leave your flame suit off.

Last edited by grendel; 08-18-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

my post was direct at everyone talking about street racing in this thread. it has seriously been jacked way off point and this is one of the many reasons this forum is crap cause cause of stupid arguments like this. there is no reason to point it out unless you are their parent or the officer pulling them over. all you are doing is instigating a pointless argument. you are dealing with a honda forum the biggest group of ricers out there aside from the maybe mustang guys.

everybody grow up and stop try to out e-thug the other waste of server space
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice

LOL wow this forum is full of noobs.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

This thread is so full of fail. The d17 does suck. Period. It's great for fuel efficiency in an econobox honda. Getting around town every day, wonderful engine. Making loads of power in a fast car... no way. People have done it sure, as people have dumped money into countless other long shot projects. I'm not saying it can't be done. Jet engines have also been put into beetles. The k-series motor is a triumph of fluid dynamics with some of the highest volumetric efficiency numbers of any motor ever created. The only mistake Honda has in that motor is that it spins backwards. If it spun the other way, it could be easily dropped into any small RWD chassis and make some very light stupid fast race cars. Keep your d17 as a DD and go build on a real chassis that has real potential.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

shwoogie420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
So what are your plans now? What do you use for engine management?
now my plans are for 400hp by winter which i have to be close to now...im at 22psi on a precision se34.... the only problem i see running into is maybe fuel b/c im still on the stock pump but have 600cc injectors.. i am also spraying 100%methanol...pretty much at 24psi im at 100% duty.. if i add another meth nozzle i can prob get to close to 28 or 29psi which should hopefully be 400-450hp... i am using k-pro as the engine management....
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

my post was direct at everyone talking about street racing in this thread. it has seriously been jacked way off point and this is one of the many reasons this forum is crap cause cause of stupid arguments like this. there is no reason to point it out unless you are their parent or the officer pulling them over. all you are doing is instigating a pointless argument. you are dealing with a honda forum the biggest group of ricers out there aside from the maybe mustang guys.

everybody grow up and stop try to out e-thug the other waste of server space
I see your point, but I disagree. I'd say the forum would suck precisely because no one calls douches like the OP out. People humor them.

Anyway, I've said my piece (and others have too). I'll cool it unless he starts pissing again.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

ha ha ha.lol i cant believe he is gonna fight with a computer!!!!! lol i bet you are like what? 58 and like 120?lol dude come on. and i'll make sure i stand still enough for you to hit me.lol
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

ricearoni is an unknown quantity at this point

your point? the only difference between the A2 and A1 is the a1 is slightly lower compression and it has a steel oil pan and comes with a non-v-tec head. a lot of people prefer the a1 block for turbo if you want v-tec you just swap the v-tec head over. my fully built block was originally an A1 and the block I am currently running is an a2 at 10:1 compression hehehe when it comes down to it a d17 is a d17 does not really matter which one you have unless you want to run a crower cam then you are going to need a v-tec head
Ohh I see, thanks for clearing that up. I would have felt slightly less inadequate if I hadn't read the read of this thread.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

this 7thgencivic went to **** when it got bought and turned into civicforums

oh and baron the big issue with the k is not the fact it spins the other way it is the fact the the oiling system is total crap for anything other than dd'ing but other wise a brilliant design
Old 08-18-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by baron340
This thread is so full of fail. The d17 does suck. Period. It's great for fuel efficiency in an econobox honda. Getting around town every day, wonderful engine. Making loads of power in a fast car... no way. People have done it sure, as people have dumped money into countless other long shot projects. I'm not saying it can't be done. Jet engines have also been put into beetles. The k-series motor is a triumph of fluid dynamics with some of the highest volumetric efficiency numbers of any motor ever created. The only mistake Honda has in that motor is that it spins backwards. If it spun the other way, it could be easily dropped into any small RWD chassis and make some very light stupid fast race cars. Keep your d17 as a DD and go build on a real chassis that has real potential.
Well said and I have seen a k swapped in a RWD but it was a mid engine car. It was swapped into a MR2 though people might think that is dumb cause the mr2 motors are already good motors and have put out great numbers. The did this to the mr2 for a track car cause for some reason the k20 gave it a better center of gravity which made it better for turning and some other things. They built the k20 and it put out some very high numbers and it was ridiculous on the track. It beat some record over something dont remember what it was though.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

K-series have been swapped into a few RWD chassis but they are mid-engined. The lotus elise/exige is the pinnacle in my mind. 500 HP supercharged k24/k20 elise is a stupid fast car that can turn on a dime. Didn't know about the oiling issues. Another something useful learned from the great bomerman. More power to you guys that can squeeze HP out of the d17, but I gave up in favor of a Miata. For roughly the same money, I'll have a built motor that can hold 500 HP, push 300 easily and get it to the ground and fly around corners. Argue on civicforums...
Old 08-18-2010
Low and slow!

K-series have been swapped into a few RWD chassis but they are mid-engined. The lotus elise/exige is the pinnacle in my mind. 500 HP supercharged k24/k20 elise is a stupid fast car that can turn on a dime. Didn't know about the oiling issues. Another something useful learned from the great bomerman. More power to you guys that can squeeze HP out of the d17, but I gave up in favor of a Miata. For roughly the same money, I'll have a built motor that can hold 500 HP, push 300 easily and get it to the ground and fly around corners. Argue on civicforums...
Miata's are beast, I am actually in the market of getting one myself. I am going to get it for my auto x and race track car. Though I will still auto x my ep3 but mainly the miata.
Old 08-19-2010
Registered!!

I saw that MR2 at the east coast honda tech meet it was turbo. the motor is also lighter and has the ability to crank out more power than the MR2.

and loose the miata motor and drop in a corvette motor hehehe
Old 08-19-2010
Low and slow!

I saw that MR2 at the east coast honda tech meet it was turbo. the motor is also lighter and has the ability to crank out more power than the MR2.

and loose the miata motor and drop in a corvette motor hehehe
Lol hell ya monster miata setup.
Old 08-19-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

this 7thgencivic went to **** when it got bought and turned into civicforums
yup.
Old 08-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Lol hell ya monster miata setup.
One day.. it will happen. I'll probably do the LS2 from a GTO. They are getting reasonably priced for a parts car. But doing that swap for ~10k is tough even doing the labor yourself and searching for great parts deals. 12-15k is about the average for an LS swap.
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

WatumboJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just saw this. Its very funny to me.
Old 09-14-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I also own one... an 01' miata LS... Can't win with the civic, but the civic is fun too. Overdriving is more fun with the civic... much more speed at turn-in and can train my left-foot braking - it's not that safe to train it in the miata.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 09-14-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

One day.. it will happen. I'll probably do the LS2 from a GTO. They are getting reasonably priced for a parts car. But doing that swap for ~10k is tough even doing the labor yourself and searching for great parts deals. 12-15k is about the average for an LS swap.
look for flying miata turbo kit. (check miata net) - they are fairly reliable, many using them. they are one of the best for miatas, though you might already know. with reasonable boosts, should last good. no need to beef the bottom.
Unfortunately the D17 needs much stronger bottom, and much more maintenance, I guess.

Shwoogie, just make sure you can put that power down to the road... FWD usually don't behave well when you get above 300HP. Very hard to control. you don't have only straights, you will need to turn...
Also, look at here. they have several ways to attain the budget in the end of the month... pitiful, actually looking at this point of view... (Disclaimer - i do not condone street racing, never get in a corner with 2 cars side-by-side, always out-out-in cornering so i have full view of the road before me, before i dip it in, hate the guys that hide in the blind spot and the "i am slow, but have an infatuation-for-the-left-lane-so-it's-mine", never bother with other cars going faster and I keep right when i am slower. Never do accelerate when i am getting passed - go fast but whithin 70% of what the car can do so you still have grip to brake)
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/6...ation-wtf.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 09-14-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add some humor to the fight

My buddy who had a 300HP+ Civic was stupid enough to highway race an old school ferrari in the middle of the night

At 120mph+, his civic began shaking (not aerodynamic enough)

End story?
Ferrari drove away unscathed
Civic crashed off the highway, flipped 5 times, buddy broke several bones (Now he drives a prius)

That's learning the hard way
-------
On a side note, Turbo'd miatas are fun as hell you can pound them all you want
Though, getting 0~60 may be fast, 60~120 takes forever =/

Fun little car, my friend bought the 1990 turbo'd miata for 2300,
Since then, the alternator/starter has died and havent drove it since
My friend went into the airforce and just towed his miata to the base to fix it up for autocross just last weekend
Old 09-15-2010
Registered!!

sounds like your buddy floated the car. civics even lowered tend to float around 115-120 mph

there is a really simple and cheap fix to that though. garden edging front lip paired with the OEM rear spoiler and the car will be glued to the ground at 120+ mph at the track all day long works well on miata's too.

and 300 is rully but try 400 with no power steering
Old 09-15-2010
Low and slow!

sounds like your buddy floated the car. civics even lowered tend to float around 115-120 mph

there is a really simple and cheap fix to that though. garden edging front lip paired with the OEM rear spoiler and the car will be glued to the ground at 120+ mph at the track all day long works well on miata's too.

and 300 is rully but try 400 with no power steering
Lol **** dude I was driving a old EJ boosted with 387 whp with no power steering and it was a real pain in the ***.
Old 09-15-2010
Registered!!

shwoogie420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
look for flying miata turbo kit. (check miata net) - they are fairly reliable, many using them. they are one of the best for miatas, though you might already know. with reasonable boosts, should last good. no need to beef the bottom.
Unfortunately the D17 needs much stronger bottom, and much more maintenance, I guess.

Shwoogie, just make sure you can put that power down to the road... FWD usually don't behave well when you get above 300HP. Very hard to control. you don't have only straights, you will need to turn...
Also, look at here. they have several ways to attain the budget in the end of the month... pitiful, actually looking at this point of view... (Disclaimer - i do not condone street racing, never get in a corner with 2 cars side-by-side, always out-out-in cornering so i have full view of the road before me, before i dip it in, hate the guys that hide in the blind spot and the "i am slow, but have an infatuation-for-the-left-lane-so-it's-mine", never bother with other cars going faster and I keep right when i am slower. Never do accelerate when i am getting passed - go fast but whithin 70% of what the car can do so you still have grip to brake)
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/6...ation-wtf.html
yea you dont have to tell me... i am street tuning it now and 25psi is about the limit where i can safely keep it in my lane so i made 289hp at 15psi so 10psi more i am figuring has got to be 350 maybe 400 (streching it a bit) but yea it is all over the road.. i got to finish the rest on a dyno...no problems around turns and not floating up 140 car is glued to the road...i got sick suspension tires and brakes...... and yea i have gotten that same ticket before...i get pulled over like once every 2weeks mainly for exhaust and b/c i drive a civic....the last 4 days of the month by me is where they make there "budget" or ticket quota... its so annoying.....also once i get it on the dyno i will post up another vid on my utube channel

Last edited by shwoogie420; 09-15-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2010
Registered!!

babzog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grendel
Given the choice, I'd build my D17 only if I had to. Otherwise, I'd swap a K.
I'm not overly familiar with the evolution of the engine platforms at Honda... could you please elaborate as to why the D17 is not considered a good building platform?
Old 09-17-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by babzog
I'm not overly familiar with the evolution of the engine platforms at Honda... could you please elaborate as to why the D17 is not considered a good building platform?
Because a fully built boosted d17 with 25 psi is only running in the 400 whp.
A completely stock k24a2 boosted with 15 psi is running 400 whp.
The following users liked this post:
UPplRDumb (07-07-2022)
Old 09-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

single cam, economy type V-TEC, etc, etc.
D17 are for economy cars, even the V-tec ones.
That's why i am ranging from 27 to 44MPG depending on conditions..
Old 09-18-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

the d17 is as beautifuly engineered as the k20. it's just designed for another function. it's like comparing a subway to a bugatti veyron. you have to think of why it was engineered. the veyron would "suck" at public transit. even though a chain of veyron's on a track would kick as to go downtown in, it would fail economically.
The following users liked this post:
UPplRDumb (07-07-2022)
Old 09-18-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
the d17 is as beautifuly engineered as the k20.
No it isn't. It's a continuation of the same old technology the D series has had for a long time. It has it's few little tweaks and changes to make it more economical but that's it. The k20 started pretty much from scratch. It was designed in a holy temple inside the depths of the honda empire when the gods of fluid dynamics came down and poured out their benevolence on the holy engineer overseers. That motor flows better than any other 4 cylinder ever built. (No, I'm not exaggerating).
Old 09-18-2010
Low and slow!

No it isn't. It's a continuation of the same old technology the D series has had for a long time. It has it's few little tweaks and changes to make it more economical but that's it. The k20 started pretty much from scratch. It was designed in a holy temple inside the depths of the honda empire when the gods of fluid dynamics came down and poured out their benevolence on the holy engineer overseers. That motor flows better than any other 4 cylinder ever built. (No, I'm not exaggerating).
He speaks the truth. The honda k series is the best engineered motor made by honda. The s2000 motor was even enginered by the k motor. Another reason why the f20c/f22c are great motors making 237 and 239 hp.

Quick Reply: the D17 does not suck