Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

What's the deal with blow off valves?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damian02civic has a spectacular aura aboutdamian02civic has a spectacular aura aboutdamian02civic has a spectacular aura about
Re: What's the deal with blow off valves?

Originally Posted by xproductionz
because then u damage the motor even more by blocking it off. There no where for the excess air to escape... DUH
Originally Posted by andyman97
Yeah, because when the throttle plate closes, air is still going into the engine..

It doesn't cause a backup and surge the turbo compressor instead or anything...DUH. You know, for a guy who thinks he knows so much, you don't know ****.
???? he didnt say it caused backup or anything he said no where for the excess air to escape????

I know you 2 don't like one another but for the sake of everyone else you 2 need to chill cause we can all learn from both of you and the rest of the turbo guys.

Just remember in the end we are all 7th gen civic owners.

On topic: Just picked myself up a HKS SSQV bov. When I get my install up and running leave feedback and whatnot if there is any problems.
Old 08-10-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong, you will NOT damage the motor that way. That's the whole point. It has nowhere to go, except out where it came, through the compressor housing.

Seriously, I would think twice before I stepped into a technical discussion if I wasn't sure what I was talking about.
Old 08-11-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

You may not damage the motor, but IIRC you run the risk of damaging the turbo by that pressure coming into the compressor in the opposite direction that the shaft and blades are spinning.
Old 08-12-2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

Wrong, you will NOT damage the motor that way. That's the whole point. It has nowhere to go, except out where it came, through the compressor housing.

Seriously, I would think twice before I stepped into a technical discussion if I wasn't sure what I was talking about.
damn wtf. seriously i think that every forum u go on turns into a drama. thats why i stopped going into honda-tech.

i cant get away with posting jack sheit at 4am in the morning with a beer in my hand anymore jus for the hell of it. Its like u have to go in and cause drama. Why cant u jus go in and correct someone instead of bashing people. Seriously for someone whose 28 years old acting the way u do. U just turned a simple BOV topic by the OG poster into something entirely differnt

Dont bother talking to me or responding to me anymore. If you wana talk then come down to my shop and talk to my face or one of my mechanics. Thank You and have a nice day
Old 08-12-2008

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

Originally Posted by FGCOUPE
why not just make a block off plate for now until you can afford one?
back to on-topic. a better explanation of turbo surge or comrpessor surge is better defined as an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. It's when the compressor is at a higher pressure than the compressor can generate under it's current conditions. This causes airflow in the compressor housing to back up and stall. As a result, pressure drops allowing normal airflow until pressure builds back up and stall again occurs. Extreme compressor surge is one of the worst things that can happen to your turbo. It results in a sharp and violent oscillation of the compressor wheel which 99% of the time takes out the turbo thrust bearing. Surge is not a good thing.

Heres a visual explantion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6S...eature=related

yo damian.. jus got ur text on my phone... which mani u end up getting?.. imma give u a call later. gona jump in the shower jus got off work

Last edited by xproductionz; 08-12-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2008
Registered!!

damian02civic has a spectacular aura aboutdamian02civic has a spectacular aura aboutdamian02civic has a spectacular aura about

back to on-topic. a better explanation of turbo surge or comrpessor surge is better defined as an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. It's when the compressor is at a higher pressure than the compressor can generate under it's current conditions. This causes airflow in the compressor housing to back up and stall. As a result, pressure drops allowing normal airflow until pressure builds back up and stall again occurs. Extreme compressor surge is one of the worst things that can happen to your turbo. It results in a sharp and violent oscillation of the compressor wheel which 99% of the time takes out the turbo thrust bearing. Surge is not a good thing.

Heres a visual explantion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6S...eature=related
I like that video. I get what they're used for, just don't get the difference between two of them, like the HKS SSQV I got, and say the Tial bov..

yo damian.. jus got ur text on my phone... which mani u end up getting?.. imma give u a call later. gona jump in the shower jus got off work
Mikey, Dezod Force Fed AA Mani w/ 38mm Tial W/G Flange and t3/t4 footprint.

I personally love it. If I coulda have afforded the race mani they offer I would have but it was like 1,025$ shipped...

Ninja edit: Check out my DIY on my short shifter install on here in the DIY section. It's ****!
Old 08-12-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

damn wtf. seriously i think that every forum u go on turns into a drama. thats why i stopped going into honda-tech.

i cant get away with posting jack sheit at 4am in the morning with a beer in my hand anymore jus for the hell of it. Its like u have to go in and cause drama. Why cant u jus go in and correct someone instead of bashing people. Seriously for someone whose 28 years old acting the way u do. U just turned a simple BOV topic by the OG poster into something entirely differnt

Dont bother talking to me or responding to me anymore. If you wana talk then come down to my shop and talk to my face or one of my mechanics. Thank You and have a nice day
It's because you're a liar. And I have no patience for liars.

What's a map sensor?

Last edited by andyman97; 08-12-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2008
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

haha! you 2 sound like me and civichatch? lmao

but you can block the BOV off until you get a new one, just dont boost for awhile. booiee....that took brains! and yeea, it sucks not boosting when indeed you own a turbo but its that or toast something like ooooh a turbo?

i know my brothers C/S Daytona turbo has no BOV so w/e.

lol
Old 08-12-2008

It's because you're a liar. And I have no patience for liars.

What's a map sensor?
i rest my case. a 28 year old acting like a little baby
Old 08-12-2008
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

Back on topic please! Keep the personal attacks to PM's... thanx buh-bye!
Old 01-12-2009
Registered!!

Devin Eaton is an unknown quantity at this point

They work the same they are just different casting and make a different sound but as far as quality they are the same greddy is good **** not ricer.
and who cares about sound when you blow there doors off