Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Throttle Body swap.

Old 06-16-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j182j has a spectacular aura aboutj182j has a spectacular aura aboutj182j has a spectacular aura about
Throttle Body swap.

I have searched and cant find anything on this. I was wondering if anyone who has done the D16Y8 intake manifold swap has used a throttle body other that the D17 one? I want to use a larger one like off of a B series motor. I know that you would have to change the sensors and wiring but I was wondering if anyone had done this and got any gains from it?? Thanks
Old 06-16-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
Re: Throttle Body swap.

I don't claim to have any concrete knowledge on this, but I believe members have used Mustang throttle bodies in the past, at least I think Supermex did at one point. I think there was a lot of custom work done, obviously.
Old 06-16-2008
Registered!!

j182j has a spectacular aura aboutj182j has a spectacular aura aboutj182j has a spectacular aura about

What mustang did he take it off of???
Old 06-16-2008
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

a buddy of mine had a b series intake manifold on a d16. of course that would work with a b series throttle body?
Old 06-22-2008

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Unevolved
I don't claim to have any concrete knowledge on this, but I believe members have used Mustang throttle bodies in the past, at least I think Supermex did at one point. I think there was a lot of custom work done, obviously.

You mean this thing?
is a 73mm TB from Mustang Gt
You'll have to make a custom intake (the plastic stock we have sucks) you will lose cruise control and, have to relocate the stock sensors it will work best with a stand along computer or you'll get a check engine light.

I'm the only one running this set up.

Is the god honest truth sorry for the uncompromized modesty or lock there off.
Is a fact
Old 06-22-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

I had a y8 with a d17 tb and IAC assembly. I have cnc flanges that I weld on and I make a custom T cable bracket. The y8 wasnt too bad for me felt pretty descent.
Old 06-22-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, for the newer members, that 73mm TB is useless BTW. Look at the size of the charge pipe, if it cant flow the cfm that the TB can its not doing any more for you . Just another example of someone doing a useless mod to say its done. Andy kept his stock TB and made more power as far as I know. Mex, no offence but you come back on here and post all your **** up like you are the only one that ever had a fast car. My civic is a hobby compared to the cars I have built and I am insulted by your cockyness as are other members. Anyways back on topic. You dont have to have someone make you a shiny part to have an effective setup. The Y8 is a good low buck swap if you have the skills to get it on there.
Old 06-22-2008

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
Oh, for the newer members, that 73mm TB is useless BTW. Look at the size of the charge pipe, if it cant flow the cfm that the TB can its not doing any more for you . Just another example of someone doing a useless mod to say its done. Andy kept his stock TB and made more power as far as I know. Mex, no offence but you come back on here and post all your **** up like you are the only one that ever had a fast car. My civic is a hobby compared to the cars I have built and I am insulted by your cockyness as are other members. Anyways back on topic. You dont have to have someone make you a shiny part to have an effective setup. The Y8 is a good low buck swap if you have the skills to get it on there.

No offence taken
The proof is in the pudding.
Sorry I insulted you I'll send you some flowers later.

Last edited by supermex; 06-22-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-22-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Sigh. Another thread on this topic.

But I think I agree, I don't think a 73mm throttle body is enough to warrant all the custom work, especially on a D16y7. I vote y8 mani swap.
Old 06-22-2008

Originally Posted by em2.kid
Andy that's true, anyone who has money can make a car fast. You earn real respect when you do it yourself then you can help others. That's how people learn.
Yeah, but that's not what this thread's about. Let's keep it on topic. We're talking about throttle bodies and IMs, this isn't a pissing contest.
Old 06-22-2008
Registered!!

em2.kid will become famous soon enough

Sorry for getting off topic, I haven't done the swap myself but threw all the reading I have done on the topic the d16y8 is the best way to go. Considering it is not very costly and is great for a turbo setup.
Old 06-22-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

Wow.

Were having a first class condescending ******* championship folks.
Old 06-23-2008
Registered!!

spudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nice

I agree, vanilla is my favorite flavor too.
Old 06-23-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

damnnnnn lol. pretty harsh supermex eh? and with all do respect you spelled a few words wrong lol. [not hating] some of the stuff mex said is true though. i think andy is just mad someone made 400whp before he did lol
Old 06-23-2008
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

stay on topic guys please!
Old 06-24-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

can someone touch on the y8 throttle body and fuel rail .. im doning a y8 intake mani swap but i wanted to know if i should get the TB and the fuel rail and run a return with the d16 rail ?? is that a good plan ? what are my other options im a newb to this kinda of mod please fill me in

Last edited by emjay; 06-24-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2008
Registered!!

I think the y8 tb must be a tiny bit smaller than the d17. The reason I say that is because I had to do some moderate porting to the opening after I welded the flange on there. N/A wise, the D17 sized TBs are pretty dead on for the size of the engine, Honda has this funny thing about getting their specs right, hehe. I think you'd need some serious n/a mods to warrant a B series TB. If you need to you can take the D17 IAC valve off the TB and make it a remote mount like Andy did so you can use another TB and still keep stock idle control. Its pretty straight foward if you have some tools and skills.
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

Thanks for getting back on topic. Do you have any pics or info on how he made the remote mount IAC?? Thanks
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

would the d16 fuel rail work ?? if the TB's on the d17 is larger, shouldn't i use that?
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

Yeah, but the bolt pattern is different. The y8 rail would probably work with older style injectors and clips. You'd probably need to convert to return if you cant find a safe way to block off the rail. I think andy used a plate that bolted to the iac valve with some npt fittings. You can run a hose from one side to a lil baby air filter or into your air intake for the inlet, and the other side to a vac manifold or the opposite side of the TB. All it really does is create a controled vacuum leak. Its much simpler than it sounds.
Old 06-27-2008
Registered!!

ok .. so since im 100% getting the y8 intake manifold for more boost .. should i also get the TB and rail and go return? or keep my stock d17 tb and rail and convert that to a return ?
Old 06-27-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

mother ****er!
Old 09-14-2008
Registered!!

gmcuajo can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by j182j
I have searched and cant find anything on this. I was wondering if anyone who has done the D16Y8 intake manifold swap has used a throttle body other that the D17 one? I want to use a larger one like off of a B series motor. I know that you would have to change the sensors and wiring but I was wondering if anyone had done this and got any gains from it?? Thanks
y8 manifold with k24 CRV throttle body and CRV sensors. It fit on the y8 manifold but with the cable to the firewall. Now I will use an adapter plate. You have open the port a little