Engine Performance Modifications Post your questions about how to modify your engine here Swaps, Flashing, bolt-ons, etc.

Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!

Oh yeah sorry I have been busy with work and andyman helping him put his engine back inthe manifold is amazing!!!! I haven't had a chance to get the car back to the dyno yet. It beefed up the bottom end of the power band like crazy! I have low end torque from like 1000 rpm to 4000 like mad. the manifold helped out the entire power band though. at 65mph on the highway in 5 gear I step on the gas and it pulls not crazy hard but enough that there would be no reason tho downshift to 4th unless racing. it probably adds almost as much power as just sticking the stage 2 in. To me It's like the K-pro a bit pricey but worth every penny.

Gerry did an Amazing job on this mani it came out really well there are some small fitment and placement issues but nothing overly bad remember it's still a prototype. I haven't had a chance to talk to gerry about the mani since I got it and stuck it on. It took me a couple of days to get everything straightened out with the tensioner and change out a bad head gasket.

I'll try to post up some picks in the next couple of days of it on the car
Old 03-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
d17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of light

yes pics please!! i want to see it..lol and what is the difference in the manifold from the stock one? is the manifold piping bigger or?
Old 03-28-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

PICS or BAN!!!
Old 03-28-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

the piping is a little bit bigger but not much you don't want to go crazy big with everything on an N/A mani or you will loose all of your velocity. the runners actually look a little bit bigger than they really are. Gerry told me that it has 25% more volume than the Y8 mani.
Old 03-28-2008

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

wwwwwooooowwwww
Old 03-29-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

awesome man looks great. the real question is what you doing next? and when do we get a dyno? going to get some high comps and some headwork next
Old 03-29-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civic-driver
awesome man looks great. the real question is what you doing next? and when do we get a dyno? going to get some high comps and some headwork next
hmmm? I'm not sure whats next could be anything. I'm trying to stay away from head work right the moment because that is really expensive especially the guy I want to use. I think the exhaust is posing the biggest restriction right the moment I have the silencer in cause it's really!!!! LOUD!!! with out it. but I did pull it out a couple of weeks ago for a half hour and I instantly had more pick up in the car. I think a really nice header would help a lot something like a Hy-tech maybe.

As for dyno I just got offered a dyno run from the a local car club for tomorrow but I can't do it cause I have to coach a lacrosse game instead. So I have no clue when I will have a chance to do a pull but my guess would be about 155hp to the wheels possibly something over 175hp to the crank. but I'm not a dyno.lol
Old 03-29-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

a hytech header would be very sexy as well. what exhaust you have on there now? header? i might have missed it somewhere. i got my tanabe hyper medallion and i love it. its nice and quiet.

you should pick up those 12.5 pistons that are in the for sale section that would be a big help on our low comp engines. a 3 : 1 increase in comp would definitely be noticeable with a increase in bore too would give a little more torque. im not sure if a pump gas tune would happen though but im not entirely sure how that works lol.

I would think a 11 : 1 would be awesome with all your other mods and a nice new hytech header. maybe a bisimoto header even? i think i read they were doing other D-series in april so ya. Im excited to see what you dyno at. even if its not as high as you want its still better than most lol hell it could be higher.

sorry if my typing is messed up i had knee surgery two days ago and pain killers make things difficult.
Old 04-16-2008
Registered!!

d17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bomerman19
hmmm? I'm not sure whats next could be anything. I'm trying to stay away from head work right the moment because that is really expensive especially the guy I want to use. I think the exhaust is posing the biggest restriction right the moment I have the silencer in cause it's really!!!! LOUD!!! with out it. but I did pull it out a couple of weeks ago for a half hour and I instantly had more pick up in the car. I think a really nice header would help a lot something like a Hy-tech maybe.

As for dyno I just got offered a dyno run from the a local car club for tomorrow but I can't do it cause I have to coach a lacrosse game instead. So I have no clue when I will have a chance to do a pull but my guess would be about 155hp to the wheels possibly something over 175hp to the crank. but I'm not a dyno.lol
so did you dyno it yet?? im waiting... lol
Old 04-16-2008
Registered!!

nope sorry no dyno yet i have been really busy and I got HIN with andys car this weekend along with georges bday and then first auto cross is next weekend and the way things are stacking up right the moment it could be almost a month maybe longer before I can actually get it on the dyno but it will run low 15's in the 1/4 mile I think it will hit 14.9 with a perfect run but that is hard to do.
Old 05-05-2008

i have an 02 with 90-100K,

when i install my stage 2 cam...

you think i should install a new timing belt and tensioner? If so, any other seals and what not for the new cam install...

thanks!
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a good idea to pick up a spare valve cover gasket and/or cam oil seal. Mine ripped twice when the mechanic put everything back together.
Old 05-05-2008

cam oil seal okay.

what seals are in the 110K maintenance change? you know?

you think i should get a new timing belt?

i know its perfect but since everything is off...

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 05-05-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, new timing belt + water pump is a great idea, esp if you haven't done it already. Might as well change the spark plugs too.
Old 05-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

If it aint broke, dont fix it... unless you want it to cause more problems later.
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

I definitely would do the timing belt wouldn't worry about the the water pump I haven't seen one go on a honda with less than 200 thousand miles. I would grab a new tensioner cause some times sticking a new belt on the old tensioner will over load the tensioner and cause it to break in a couple weeks had that happen to me

As for sticking in a new cam grab some lock tite and hit that cam gear bolt make sure it's real tight. Also grab some RTV or hondabond and place a little underneath the rocker arm assembly at the ends were it bolts to the head by the cam seal and the seal by the cam gear about by the edges were the valve cover covers over the cam. Note: that it shows you where to put the the hondabond in the shop manual, but when you pull the valve cover you should be able to see where honda put some hondabond in from the factory. If you don't hit those spots you will leak oil from the valve cover. Clint had this problem for a while it was covered in his thread with some pics if you need a better idea of the spots I'm talking about.
Old 05-06-2008

thanks
Old 08-18-2008
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

no new updates since may?
Old 08-18-2008

I have all my parts, just need cash to install and tune.

maybe in a year ill have enough cash to get mine installed...

im ****en poor.
Old 08-18-2008
Registered!!

update on my car,
I've taken the stage 2 out and dropped in the stage 3 (sooooooo Much smoother!!!!!!!!, a lot less problems) supposed to have dyno this past saturday but tensioner broke and busted 12 valves rebuilt motor and at the same time did uprated clutch 8.5lbs flywheel and LSD in my old ex trans got it all up and running felt so awesome.

Then something went in the trans yesterday evening so back to pulling the engine again everything should be up and running again soon and my new tune date is Wednesday, September 10
shooting for 170hp at the hubs
Old 08-19-2008
Registered!!

good to hear you guys are still at it keep us updated... im still waiting on a reply from bisimoto on some details for my A1 camshaft regrind. i have my core sitting in a box waiting to be sent out.

Last edited by civic-driver; 08-19-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Paul, Andy mentioned you were having a problem with the OBX LSD. What was it and how did you fix it? I'm looking to get one of these for my car.
Old 08-19-2008
Registered!!

is OBX making a lsd for our cars now? or is it along the lines of getting a honda fit lsd with a few fit parts?
Old 08-19-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civic-driver
is OBX making a lsd for our cars now? or is it along the lines of getting a honda fit lsd with a few fit parts?
It's the honda fit LSD it drops right in the only thing is that you have to use honda fit bolt because the diff is normal threaded cause of the fit spins in a different direction. were our diff has left hand threaded bolts.

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Hey Paul, Andy mentioned you were having a problem with the OBX LSD. What was it and how did you fix it? I'm looking to get one of these for my car.
I was having problems with fitting the axles in and getting them out. the quaife also has this problem but it does not seem as bad (andys axles are a bitch to get out and you need two people to get them back in). the problem is that the aftermarket diffs are machined tighter than the honda diffs. the honda diffs the splines inside the diff that the axles slide into are tapered so that when you slide the axle in it compress the little c-clip ring and it pops into place. were the aftermarket diffs are not tapered so you have take the ring on the end of the axles and bend it so it is tighter in order for the axles to slip in.

My biggest problem was that the ring caused the axle to get stuck and it would not go in all the way and I couldn't get it out. I had to have my buddy tow it to his lift stuck a 4 foot long crow bar on it started bending the bar. stuck a 1/2 ton spreader on it didn't do anything. I finnaly had to take the axle apart stick a piece of black steel gas pipe in the cup and beet it with a sledge with the spreader in wich cause the ring to do something then hook a slide hammer up to it and it came out.

I had to re-pull the axles today and did not have any problems. My biggest problem is that one of the bearings that holds the diff self-destructed I mean the thing ****ing exploded I'll post a thread with pics once I find my camera but man it some gruesome carnage
Old 08-26-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bomerman19
update on my car,
I've taken the stage 2 out and dropped in the stage 3 (sooooooo Much smoother!!!!!!!!, a lot less problems) supposed to have dyno this past saturday but tensioner broke and busted 12 valves rebuilt motor and at the same time did uprated clutch 8.5lbs flywheel and LSD in my old ex trans got it all up and running felt so awesome.

Then something went in the trans yesterday evening so back to pulling the engine again everything should be up and running again soon and my new tune date is Wednesday, September 10
shooting for 170hp at the hubs
is your head ported? do you have the stock intake mani? what are you tuned with? keep us posted man this sounds very interesting!!
Old 08-27-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by d17civickid
is your head ported? do you have the stock intake mani? what are you tuned with? keep us posted man this sounds very interesting!!
No I do not have a PnP head I don't have the funds right the moment to drop $1200-$1500+ to get a head pnp'ed. And if I did it it would just be for kicks cause the plans for the car in a couple years would not allow me to run a PnP'ed head.

And No I don't have the piece of **** stock intake mani. I got rid of that a while ago I have the JDM Fabtech N/A Long tube Mani Prototype.

tuned on the only system worth tuning on Kpro FTMFW!!!
Old 09-02-2008
Registered!!

what went wrong in your tranny?
Old 09-02-2008

a bearing^
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by d17civickid
what went wrong in your tranny?
first tranny the bearing was bad and grenaded ate the case the second tranny some grit got into the tranny and ate the second bearing took the case with it the third tranny I got from a junkyard that was grade no broken case and was told worked perfectly did not have second gear(spring ring on the second syncro shaved off) an the fourth tranny well so far it works had to open and close the case like 20-30 times to get the shims right on the input shaft but it works and as of late monday night the car runs. I should be able to make jeff evans dyno tune on the 10th hopefully
Old 01-20-2009
Registered!!

any updates? dyno numbers? anything?

Quick Reply: Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!