Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Next question. Turbo water lines...Why not tap the radiator directly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Next question. Turbo water lines...Why not tap the radiator directly?

OK folks, you came through on the turbo mani wrap question, so I'm going to try and hit 2 for 2. When it comes to running the water lines for my turbo, all kinds of different ideas. Water blocks, T-adapters, etc., etc. Why not tap the radiator directly? Put the water inlet line to the turbo here:

1/4" NPT nipple, threaded in and JB welded to make sure. I've got a plan for the shavings when I drill it out. And then put the hot water return right next to the normal return hose here:

This seems to makes sense to me. There really isn't a lot of wiggle room in the water neck to be drilling 1/4" holes and sticking fittings in there, so why not just put them in the radiator. Again, what am I not thinking of here, or is it just that easy?
Old 06-28-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Next question. Turbo water lines...Why not tap the radiator directly?

dont JBweld it, you'll just rattle it out. Try and get yourself a flow differential when you do it so you force water through.... the radiator is more or less a reservoir for more coolant, you'd be better off putting the feed in proximity to the pump... where the flow is the highest.
My fittings are welded into the water pipe on the back of the motor, and on the return neck of the water block... similarly set up to the way the throttle body heater runs.
Also dont forget the radiator flows down..... cold water is on the bottom, not the top.
I'd also advise not using rubber hose in close proximity to the CHRA... those things get HOT, you'll bake rubber in no time. High temp hydraulic hose, or braided stainless/teflon line is the way to go.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 06-28-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2007

Water flows down. Jesus, you'd really think I'd have figured out these basics before posting - or at least searched without showing my *** in a thread like this. OK, back of the motor on that big *** pipe for the inlet - easy enough. Looking at your setup I see where you've gone in on the TB return line (circled
) for the hot return on the turbo. Did you tee off that to continue the TB return line? Thanks man.

Oh and on the SS lines. Yeah, I've got 20' of stainless 3/8" line that is now surplus since I didn't order -6AN in the first place for my return setup. I'm using that for my water line, and to go from the catch can to the intake.

Last edited by speedfoos; 06-28-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Old picture.... that one all I did was cut the TB return hose in half and tap into either end. it worked fine.
New setup, much cleaner

Old 06-29-2007

Ahh. Makes sense now. Thanks again man.