Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

I'm really scared.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tequilaeric is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm really scared.

k...I'm an idiot...fixing this post...
I'm really scared to post on here, cuz I've seen you guys rip eachother over asking for help...but whatever...I'll ask, I'll get ripped, I'll move on.
I have an 02 civic 2 door...base model, but hey...I got power windows.
I have guys around the city that can me parts at a good price. Now I'm looking for max power for cheapest price...
I'm looking to do the K20a swap, and put a turbocharger into it to. I was just wondering, from personal experience, what you guys found to be the best way. I've searched on here, and people say that it's worth it, some say it's not, and that turbochargers are crap... I just want some personal opinions, and some suggestions to help this noob get a fast car. On a plus note, I don't have a spoiler, or Altezza's so I wont get ripped for being rice... :P

Last edited by tequilaeric; 10-12-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
must resist flamage... d17 is the engine you have, you'd be wanting to do the k20 swap, there is currently no company that makes superchargers for our cars..turbo/k20 swap/nitrous are the only paths for real power. any other mods such as cold air intakes will give you about +/- .5 hp
Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for not ripping me, I edited my post...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Originally Posted by genexrocket
must resist flamage... d17 is the engine you have, you'd be wanting to do the k20 swap, there is currently no company that makes superchargers for our cars..turbo/k20 swap/nitrous are the only paths for real power. any other mods such as cold air intakes will give you about +/- .5 hp
Old 10-12-2006

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
--------------------------

swap = reliability
turbo = lesss reliable

swap = starts at $5000 and goes up from there (i have seem people get swaps for as cheap as $3000)
turbo = starts as low as $1500 and goes up (depends if its new or used)

and last but not least.. use the SEARCH.. lol... i have created a topic entirely to this and is stickied at the top of the page

The 7thGen: Should I Swap or Turbo?? FAQ

and let me quote a passage from there
"What it really comes down to is HOW FAR DO YOU WANNA GO AND HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WANNA SPEND?"

see.. i tell you to search while still being nice about it and give you some help.. lol

Last edited by xproductionz; 10-12-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2006
People point and laugh when I drive by. Plus I like men.

CASPER087 is an unknown quantity at this point
well for one you shouldnt do the cheapest way. that could cause more money in the end for fixing cheap parts. everyone agrees with me here do it right the first time. if you want your car fast you could turbo the d17 it wont seem like much hp but your cars light. if you do the k swap make sure your keeping that car for a long time. it isnt cheap and youll never get your money back. yea its the best way for hp in a swap but its alot of money. its all up to your personal preferance. if i had the money id do a k24 block and k20 head turbo. alot of money right there but seeing guys faces when you smoke there v8s is priceless. rep rep
Old 10-12-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tequilaeric
k...I'm really scared to post on here, cuz I've seen you guys rip eachother over asking for help...but whatever...I'll ask, I'll get ripped, I'll move on.
I have an 02 civic 2 door...base model, but hey...I got power windows.
I have guys around the city that can me parts at a good price. Now I'm looking for max power for cheapest price...
I'm looking to either do the D17 swap, or the K20a swap, and put a supercharger into it to. I was just wondering, from personal experience, what you guys found to be the better way. I've searched on here, and people say that both of them are faster then the other, and that superchargers are crap... I just want some personal opinions, and some suggestions to help this noob get a fast car. On a plus note, I don't have a spoiler, or Altezza's so I wont get ripped for being rice... :P
I'm not gonna tear you up, but quite a few prolly will. You should research before asking questions, to minimize people mocking you. FYI, there's no such thing as a D17 swap for our cars, because 01 to 05 civics all came with a D17. If you had a DX, you could swap a V-TEC head from an EX, etc. But if you already have power windows, you don't have a DX, so you probably already have v-tec. If you have an HX, you have a different V-TEC setup, and i'm not sure what's involved in the head swap there. Also, no one makes a supercharger for our cars. If you look at other threads here, you can get info on turbos for the D17. Dezod makes a good turbo kit. As you mentioned, a k20 or k24 swap are also a possibliity. Expect both swap and turbo to be expensive. Do some searching, and you'll find all the info you want, and probably more. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

Essentially, I love racing, and I'm sick of being fed at the track. What would a turbo do to the d17 time wise, and power wise?

Originally Posted by CASPER087
well for one you shouldnt do the cheapest way. that could cause more money in the end for fixing cheap parts. everyone agrees with me here do it right the first time. if you want your car fast you could turbo the d17 it wont seem like much hp but your cars light. if you do the k swap make sure your keeping that car for a long time. it isnt cheap and youll never get your money back. yea its the best way for hp in a swap but its alot of money. its all up to your personal preferance. if i had the money id do a k24 block and k20 head turbo. alot of money right there but seeing guys faces when you smoke there v8s is priceless. rep rep
Old 10-12-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Are you doing drag or autocross?? If you're doing autocross, you should be looking at suspension, rather than engine. If youre drag racing, what are you doing with a civic??
Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

Drag, and I know the civic isn't the best car for dragging, but I'm not racing against anything special...but I'm still losing...I also have a bet, by the end of next year, I need to take down my friends 89 mustang 5.0 with nos...

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
Are you doing drag or autocross?? If you're doing autocross, you should be looking at suspension, rather than engine. If youre drag racing, what are you doing with a civic??
Old 10-12-2006
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
in all honesty it will run you 8 grand to just swap.. its better to buy a faster car, or buy a new civic SI with that kind of money
Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
im turbo'd on my d17a2 at 5psi. i get a good amount of complements on how decently quick the thing is. i take on some type s, type r, gsr and some other cars i can beat them or keep up with them. nobody expects much from my stock looking sedan. ahah. i dont think you will be disapointed if you turbo cuz i sure as hell am not and i am only at 5psi. just keep your can maintained well. cant wait till i hit 8psi tuned. which should be soon. il keep you posted.
Old 10-12-2006
People point and laugh when I drive by. Plus I like men.

CASPER087 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by caquinde
im turbo'd on my d17a2 at 5psi. i get a good amount of complements on how decently quick the thing is. i take on some type s, type r, gsr and some other cars i can beat them or keep up with them. nobody expects much from my stock looking sedan. ahah. i dont think you will be disapointed if you turbo cuz i sure as hell am not and i am only at 5psi. just keep your can maintained well. cant wait till i hit 8psi tuned. which should be soon. il keep you posted.
what all did you do to your bottom end to hold up with a turbo? and did you buy the dezod turbo kit? the one for 3200?
Old 10-12-2006
Wicked Pissah Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
read all of the FAQ's at the top of this forum. Then read them again.

All of your questions will be answered....
Old 10-12-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
first off. you prolly have a LX, power windows/door locks but no vtec, anyway. this could work to your advantage. i read somewhere that boosting a non-vtec motor is easier than the vtec do to the valve time changing when vtec kicks in. you have a manual or auto, if you have an auto, dont bother you wont beat really anything. manual you will be good. go to www.dezod.com and buy the v3 kit, its like 3200 with everything you can think of. then build the bottom end up a bit. dezod is the only company i know that sells pistons and rods. then install the turbo, get a good tune and run like 10-12psi on the track and you should be beating your friends 5-0 with some nice tires.
Old 10-12-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tequilaeric
k... On a plus note, I don't have a spoiler, or Altezza's so I wont get ripped for being rice... :P

haha .... guess im rice with a turbo! But as havok said above, the FAQ do cover it listed above. guess it basically comes down to how much $$$ you have , how much HP you want and how reliable you want it.....
Old 10-12-2006

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Don't be scare but do some search 7thgen has an abundance of information on the subject.
After you do the proper search then you may ask more educated questions and won't get flamed.
I have a guy PM me 40 + times in 2 weeks wanting to do very complicated mods and needed step by step instructions. It drove me nuts!
Some mechanical skills and basic knwledge is required.
Old 10-12-2006
An elephant.... with stamps for hands.

thatsmrgimp2u is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait, if you turbo a motor and run it at lets say 8psi, and its tuned properly with no bottom job, it still wont be reliable? I thought as long as it was tuned right and you werent boost-crazy things should run pretty smoothly. I want to shoot for low 13's, im not saying that can happen on a stock bottom end, but it would be nice to have your car as fast as possible while you are building up another d17 to swap in, and run lets say 15-18psi.
Old 10-12-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Any number of things can happen. Creep, blowing a coupling (hairspray ftwwww lol), creep, bearing failure, you name it it can happen. LOL
Old 10-12-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
Any number of things can happen. Creep, blowing a coupling (hairspray ftwwww lol), creep, bearing failure, you name it it can happen. LOL

yup, same risk as stock
Old 10-12-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
If you're doing a swap or a boost you better have another car to drive for 2 months. If you're doing both, I guess you'll save a half a year's insurance?
Old 10-12-2006

Maybe its just cause they are more mainstream, but ive got friends whove turboed their cars and got them running flawlessly in under two weeks. But that was a 98 civ, and a 96 LS.
Old 10-17-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Running......but did they tune them?
Old 10-17-2006

Not dyno tuned, but they mentioned a company in tampa that they sent there ecu's to and a list of mods they had done. Said they didnt want a dyno tune until they were prettty much done with mods, makes sense IMO as its so effing expensive.