Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Progression of my K20A *updated 7/10/06

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Progression of my K20A *updated 7/10/06

hello, I'm not sure if anyone's been keeping track of my dynos ... but just a brief summary...

I typically dyno at this shop called Hookups in Upland, CA. If anyone knows Upland, they have an elevation of 900-1300 ft (depending where you are). With each power mod I added, I would dyno again ... so here goes:

Mods:

K20A
17x7.5" ssr comps (13 pounds)
215/40/17 tires (19 pounds)
Type S Injen CAI
oem DC5-R header/cat
stock DC5-R ecu
stock DC5-R full catback exhaust (2.5" new piping on the axleback)
Nextgear Intake Manifold Gasket

dyno graph here 10/22/05

I pulled peak 200 whp, 138 wtq

Added mod:

DC Sports ceramic race header

dyno graph here 11/19/05

This time I pulled peak 207 whp, 143 wtq

Added mod:

-T1R 2.5" b-pipe (stock dc5-r is 2.125")
-225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport 2's (4 pounds heavier each than my previous tires)

I guess I never got around to uploading this dyno graph ... but I gained about 1 peak whp and gain 4-6 whp in the midrange in some places (after vtec). Not bad for having much heavier tires to spin.

And finally, yesterday, I dyno'ed at a different shop in Irvine, CA, which is much closer to me. I didn't add any mods, but this shop is at sealevel, unlike Upland which again is 900-1300 ft. elevation.

dyno graph here 01/10/06

I pulled 212 whp, 146 wtq.

After that, we then proceeded to remove my DC5-R axleback ... and then ran again twice and got 214 whp, 148 wtq.

good stuff, eh? ... I'm running SUPER SUPER lean from 5000-6000 rpms, which is why my power has a ridiculously huge dip ... super lean as in 15.5:1 a/f.

dyno graph here 04/08/06

this is a partial tune done at church's automotive. I had a cracked flexpipe on my header at the time, so I didn't get a full tune ... only a week later, that crack turned into a totally broken flexpipe, which made my car sound like it was open header. Currently being fixed, and I will be getting a full tune very shortly.

This time, I put down 224 hp, 165 tq. These numbers are rated at the hub because it was a dynapak dyno ... the wheel were taken off. Wheel HP numbers are around 5-10 hp less.

Dyno graph here 7/08/06 ...:

I got my new dyno .. fixed all the problems and got re-tuned.

I pulled 239.5 hp, 173.5 tq ... wewt! These numbers are rated at the hub because it was a dynapak dyno ... the wheel were taken off. Wheel HP numbers are around 5-10 hp less.

Last edited by aznboysrfr; 07-10-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2006
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
those are pretty nice numbers considering
Old 01-11-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
How's that power feelin' in your civic Nice numbers there!!
Old 01-11-2006
Registered!!

frdeffscrbrd is an unknown quantity at this point
nice
Old 01-11-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Cool. Why did you dyno the 3rd one at a different place? To maintain consistency you should have done the same dyno all 3 times. That extra 5whp could be just from dyno differences or even correction factor.

Reagrdless...............Nice job on the swap.

Enjoyin that swap though? Gotta be a fun ride in an EM2 N/A chassis.
Old 01-11-2006
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a couple questions. First if you do not mind me asking how much from start to stop did you spend. Two how hard is it to smog a swapped newer car in Cali. Its just so hard to work on any thing new that I stick to older cars. But I so want to build a streetable k20 in a crx or ek/eg. Btw your ride is siiick post up more vids maybe even track runs!
Old 01-11-2006
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
nice
Old 01-11-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dezod
Cool. Why did you dyno the 3rd one at a different place? To maintain consistency you should have done the same dyno all 3 times. That extra 5whp could be just from dyno differences or even correction factor.

Reagrdless...............Nice job on the swap.

Enjoyin that swap though? Gotta be a fun ride in an EM2 N/A chassis.
4th one? ;P

I originally dyno'ed there to begin with, however their dyno wasn't working properly. He had the incorrect mass drum number size, so all of his dynos were reading far too low. He very recently got it corrected and dyno'ed my car for free for my 4th dyno... otherwise I probably would've gone to him every time.

yep, it's a fantastic ride.

i'm pretty sure the only difference is the 1200-ish ft. elevation vs. the sea-level elevation.

Last edited by aznboysrfr; 01-11-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by cg95660
I have a couple questions. First if you do not mind me asking how much from start to stop did you spend. Two how hard is it to smog a swapped newer car in Cali. Its just so hard to work on any thing new that I stick to older cars. But I so want to build a streetable k20 in a crx or ek/eg. Btw your ride is siiick post up more vids maybe even track runs!
I spent probably almost $9k so far include all of my swap mods ... not including the rims.

I don't think it's very hard to BAR a k20 into an ep3/em2 ... trying to get it to pass BAR in an older car is another story since there are sooo many things you have to change out. Not to mention it's a few thousand dollars more expensive for the swap into an older car, again because you have to change out so many things.
Old 01-12-2006
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
dam nice numbers bro. Must be nice
Old 01-12-2006
Registered!!

doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
how well does the type-s injen CAI fit for you? i need a new one, my AEM sucks, the transmission hits it everytime i go to 5th. was thinking about an Si intake also
Old 01-12-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by doubledeuce2k2
how well does the type-s injen CAI fit for you? i need a new one, my AEM sucks, the transmission hits it everytime i go to 5th. was thinking about an Si intake also
eh .. no, don't get an Si one. It may fit better, but it's much smaller.

when you install your intake, you gotta put it in 5th first to make sure you have enough clearance when you secure it in.

With my Injen, I had to fiddle with it a bit to make sure it fit properly. It's a very tight squeeze ... I also had to zip tie it to make sure it didn't sag too much ... and if the filter you have is too big, it's gonna hit your bumper.

a bit of a hassle for the Injen ... but it works now.
Old 01-13-2006
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
by the end of this year hopefully i'll be K equiped as well
Old 01-13-2006
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
awsome as always
Old 01-13-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
I spent probably almost $9k so far include all of my swap mods ... not including the rims.

I don't think it's very hard to BAR a k20 into an ep3/em2 ... trying to get it to pass BAR in an older car is another story since there are sooo many things you have to change out. Not to mention it's a few thousand dollars more expensive for the swap into an older car, again because you have to change out so many things.
Let me know if you get that thing legit for Cali smog. I really want to know if the ULEV designation will be a problem.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
i wish i had 212whp
Old 01-13-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by tinman
Let me know if you get that thing legit for Cali smog. I really want to know if the ULEV designation will be a problem.
I really doubt it's gonna be a problem. I have friends who are gonna bar their k20a3's very soon ... if an a3 passes, then a k20a should pass.

btw, you have an AWESOME house!! I love it!
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

dc5pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Special k!
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Man, thats awesome! Those numbers are great, and you still have ALOT of room for improvement.
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
i love your car i want to have sex with it.
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

vietrice507 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice #
Old 01-18-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
why not jsut get a real car in the begining?
Old 01-18-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by HondaLuver
why not jsut get a real car in the begining?
you're one to talk
Old 01-18-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
post up when you try the fp60/lc20 and sw1.
Old 01-18-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

^ haha okay.

I'm gonna get dyno'ed again (I'm a dyno *****) on 3/11 ... there's a dyno day at one of the local shops I goto ... dynojet.

the new things I'll be adding (nothing major):

sw1, fp60/lc20, amsoil mtf and probably ngk laser iridiums (oem for rsx-s)

I'll keep you guys posted when that happens.
Old 01-24-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received my SW1 filter and I put it on ... it seems like it gave me some pretty good gains.

I also just got a Toda race header and I put it on .. however, it has a cracked flex pipe, so I'm getting a very noticable exhaust leak. I have to special order the part from Toda ... it'll take up to 4 weeks ...

so I should have my next dyno with my Toda header/SW1 filter within about 6 weeks time.
Old 01-24-2006
MAVS FAN 4EVER

jknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the rough
Can't they overnight that stuff from Japan?! just kidding..thanks for keeping us updated...good luck on your next dyno run...
Old 01-24-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by jknudsen
Can't they overnight that stuff from Japan?! just kidding..thanks for keeping us updated...good luck on your next dyno run...

sounds stupid, but it would be nice to have it "overnighted from japan".

the flexpipe leak is giving me a headache.
Old 01-24-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
the toda header is pimp. is it a flaw in workmanship? did you get the sway bar also?
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

AznChinksta is just really niceAznChinksta is just really niceAznChinksta is just really niceAznChinksta is just really niceAznChinksta is just really nice
car will be sick once u get that k-pro and smoothin that dip before vtec kicks in. u run in the 1/4? you gonna mess with the tranny?

Last edited by AznChinksta; 01-24-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Progression of my K20A *updated 7/10/06