Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Ls/Vtec in a 2001 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the rough
Ls/Vtec in a 2001 Civic

Yes i have done my research and all i come up with is K20!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a fully built ls/vtec and i want to put it in my civic. I know that it is illegal but the civic is a show are and i dont really drive it (only to shows most of the time it is in the garage)

So what will i need other than the engine (such as ecu axels wire harness ext.). I know mounts not exist but i can just fabricate them my self

Thank You,
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
I think this question is directed to someone who has done it.
Who is that person???
..Let me see....
None here, as far as know.
$$$
And that is why you have come up only with k20.
Good that you've searched!
Welcome to the site!
Old 11-11-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
LS/Vtec is pretty dumb to me for a 7th gen.
but if you dont drive it then start the swap. I know of no one that did it, especially here, so you may have to just start it and see what you need as you go on.
Old 11-11-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
all custom, a ton of threads have been posted on this...
Old 11-11-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
its not stupid^ Unless u r gonna pay someone to make the parts and for them to do it, but if u can find a fabricator and do most of the work urself it will just take some time and money. Plus he has the mtr. Altough k is better its hella more expensive and especially internals. B's r so much cheaper to build. Altough it will be easy to drop in a k. Plz no one come in and say how superior ks r and how i am stupid because b's been out for yrs and people r still gettin good numbers that r sometimes better some k20a2 build ups.
Old 11-11-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
actually its not illegal u know why? because the engine model cant be older than your car BUT since u have a 2001 and 2001 integra gsr's had b18 vtec so u can play it off as a gsr engine which should be able to get legalized
Old 11-11-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
although he already said it wouldnt be driven much so thats not problem.

The reason I feel its stupid is because that engine has been used and done over and over so many times. Its time to move on in my opinion. The only way the tuner scene stays alive is if people continually innovate and move forward. Im not saying him doing this swap is hurting us in general, I am just saying I would be looking to get something more advanced but equally at potent.

hey man, either way good luck on this. I would like to see pics if you get anywhere!
Old 11-11-2005
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
ls/vtec is a nice setup.. you should sell the motor and go k24/k20a hybrid... that's the new generation ls/vtec... it'll probablly be a lil more expensive seeing how you already have the ls/vtec motor built and ready but if you wanna win shows, i say go the k24/k20a route...

also.. if you still wanna do the swap with your motor, theres a member on here that has actually swapped a fully built b16 motor into their em2... i think his name is mirage er something like that... search for it... better yet...

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=156425

theres the thread with most of the swap info on it.... there are a couple more out there... just search 'mirage' and you should be able to find all the threads that deal with his car...

welcome to 7thgencivic.com
Old 11-12-2005
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

topic re-opend for discussion.. if theres anything relevant, please post otherwise leave the flaming out...

Last edited by iamboo; 11-12-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2005
Registered!!

jamie_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i saw a turbo b18 in a 7th gen in a magazine...i believe it was performance auto and sound.
Old 11-12-2005
Supercharged k20a3

Drivetofast is an unknown quantity at this point
we the car blue? there is a bonovile car with a built B16 de bored to 1.5 with a turbo but it will never see the street
Old 11-12-2005
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

Originally Posted by Drivetofast
we the car blue? there is a bonovile car with a built B16 de bored to 1.5 with a turbo but it will never see the street
what?
Old 11-12-2005
Registered!!

DelSolid is an unknown quantity at this point
Last months Honda Tuning magazine had a write up on the car. It may still be on the shelves. It is the one with the 06 civic on the cover. This months Honda Tuning will also have an article on it focusing on the turbo install.

The car has had the B16 based engine and also ran once with a normally aspirated B18C.

I always thought the car would never see the street again but I was wrong. I drove it out of SEMA last week and was actually waved onto the main street by a cop. I drove it about 2 miles to the lot where my trailer was parked. I cracked up being waved out onto an 8 lane highway by a cop while I'm driving an open "side exhaust" race car pumping out the methanol fumes.
Old 11-13-2005
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
CrI-Vtec
Old 11-14-2005
nor cal 7thgens

so just cause a new setup comes out people should sell there b-series and upgrade to k's? I still see people build 350 small blocks and those mtrs r old. If u saw some daily driven n/a b-series dyno charts they r makin very good power still and for some people they r runnin very good times as well. For example..... http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1433314

and here is one i just saw today
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1406979

not starting a war, but remember that any car you build there will always be a faster car and altough b-series n/a isnt as good as k, turboed b-series r still past turbo k's in my opinion. Jeff evans aka Full-race products even got someones k24 turbo setup built and took it out to go back to the b. I Just research and do the setup that fits ur budget and what u like.
Old 11-14-2005
Registered!!

trurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the rough
Dont get me wrong I LOVE K20's (bigger engine more power). A turbo'd B-Series or (ls/Vtec) is ALOT of power and very cost friendly. U can get a turbo kit on ebay for like 6 or 7 hundred dollars on ebay.

But now i am just considering putting that ls/vtec in a 98 civic shell that i have and turbo'ing the civic

I was just wondering?????? Would it work if I bought a turbo kit on ebay for like 500 (without the piping or the down pipe) for a b-series motor and just us those parts and buy a d17 turbo mani, piping and downpipe. A this will come out to like 900-1100 dollars.

Does any1 see where i am getting. Am i crazy or could that work
Old 11-14-2005
nor cal 7thgens

naw just save and piece together using good products like neukin or peakboost etc. I know full-race is expensive but hard to resist. Just remember that u pay for wat u get so sometimes the cheap ebay kit isnt always good.
Old 11-14-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
the funny thing is i had a conversation 2night about puttin an ls vtec in a 7thgen it wouldnt work....way 2 much wireing and my car at least is heavy id have 2 boost it 2 hell
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mugenman
the funny thing is i had a conversation 2night about puttin an ls vtec in a 7thgen it wouldnt work....way 2 much wireing and my car at least is heavy id have 2 boost it 2 hell
An LS/VTEC is 20% more displacement than my B-Series. At 24 PSI I make 540HP to the wheels at only 8600 RPM.

I'll put my outdated, moderately low-boost, low cost B16 up against most anything out there. I can run up to 40 PSI and make mind blowing power but I only need to run mid twentys to kill darn near everything I meet.

It's not easy to do the swap, but once done, all the cars you meet are just cannon fodder.
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

thats what i am talking about forget the K20's its all bout the LS/Vtecs
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

How did u go about making the mounts???
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by trurace
thats what i am talking about forget the K20's its all bout the LS/Vtecs
Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. The best thing about the K20 swaps are the fact that they are EASY. If you are shooting for under 400 WHP then it's the easiest way to do it. Expensive? yes, but hard? no.

The B swap is much harder but for the $$$ required to make 800 WHP with a 2.0L-B series is probably half that required to do it with a K-series. And that my friends is a significant amount of money.

To replicate my engine with a K-series would probably be $20K. I in for $11K for the B. (Thats all-in, including custom pistons for the smaller bore)

I'm making 542 HP to the wheels! Thats 366 WHP/L. I'm running a 1.5L by choice, you can obviously get a 2.0L B series so a comparable 2.0L K series would have to make 732 WHP to just make the same power as an old, "has been" B series. And do it at only 24 PSI and on less than $11,000 including dry sump, GT37 turbo etc...

If it's an all out HP war, then the K series will win. Barely. But the B (and the H) will be right on it's heels and doing it for a hell of alot less money.

In the real world, where you have XXX of money to spend you will go faster with a B series simply because you can do more mods with that money.