Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

KMS Intake Manifold + Boost Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hwoody77 can only hope to improve
KMS Intake Manifold + Boost Review!

Ok, so the reason it took so long to post a review was because I wanted to get something decent depth into it, not just "yea it felt better".

Ok, so I bought it used from a member here, Nothing too fancy as far as craftsmanship, but the craftsmanship wasn't bad by any means. A few design flaws as far as the throttle cable placement, and some other stuff but there's way's around it.

Now, the install...it took longer than I expected and it was harder than I expected.
There are about 15 bolts/nuts lined up along the intake manifold that have to removed. You have to raise the car to get to the ones in the back, you also have to disconnect most of the sensors/cables around the throttle body. I would suggest buying a few M10 bolts/washers/nuts of different sizes for you to play with. Total install time was about 6 hours.

Ok, now onto the performance...first my set-up.

MaxRev Turbo Manifold w/ Heat Wrap
MaxRev 2.5 Inch Downpipe / Heat Wrap
T3 Super 60 .48/.42
Tial 38MM Wastegate with 10 PSI spring
Custom IC piping w/ intercooler
Greddy Type S BOV
2.25 Inch Exhaust catback w/ Cat
Denso IK20 Spark Plugs
Greddy E-Manage / E-01
RSX Injectors
Return Fuel Set-up
Aeromotive FPR
Walboro 255 LPH Fuel Pump

Ok, so I went out for a ride. Didn't feel much of a difference...at first. It was like 90-100 Degree weather.

Now, Nightime, is a different story.
It felt stronger, but not THAT much more stronger @ 8 PSI.
I think with a cam, and a bored TB it'll be much more stronger.

Now, I turned the boost up to 10 and WOW. 10 PSI + KMS Manifold means some hard pulling...I mean this thing ripped and I've felt 10 PSI on my car before, this thing went crazy. I ran 14.5 PSI before on my car without the KMS Manifold, and this 10 PSI plus the manifold felt just like that.

All in all, I would buy it again. I bought it for $150 and just based on the performance it's worth it, plus you know this is something you won't have to upgrade down the line AND it won't blow on ya.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
You notice any driveability changes ?
Old 09-07-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Good review.

I just noticed something. How are you able to run 8 PSI on a 10 PSI WG spring? That is impossible. The minimum you could ever run is the spring tension level even with a boost controller, which only allows you to adjust boost over and above your WG tension level. Are you sure your boost gauge is reading properly?

Last edited by dezod; 09-07-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2005
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
i love my intake manifold, definately do a bigger throttle body as well...the response and power delivery is great
Old 09-07-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
dyno that ish
Old 09-07-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Dam now i can't wait to get mine. Good Review. Do you have any pics?
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm glad you like the manifold!!! It wasn't doing anything for me but collecting dust in my garage...I told you the install was going to be a bitch!!
Old 09-07-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
where do you get this manifold?
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dezod
Good review.

I just noticed something. How are you able to run 8 PSI on a 10 PSI WG spring? That is impossible. The minimum you could ever run is the spring tension level even with a boost controller, which only allows you to adjust boost over and above your WG tension level. Are you sure your boost gauge is reading properly?

I believe I either A. Got a boost leak somewhere or B. Spring is bad.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Black03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura about
props to the Brick city turbo god.
Old 09-08-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dezod
Good review.

The turbo may still be making 10 psi at the turbo itself. He could be losing it due to loss through the intercooler followed by the more free-flowing intake manifold. It all depends on where his wastegate is referenced.

Where did you get a boost source for your wastegate? Intake Manifold or the compressor housing of the turbo?
Old 09-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turboengnr
The turbo may still be making 10 psi at the turbo itself. He could be losing it due to loss through the intercooler followed by the more free-flowing intake manifold. It all depends on where his wastegate is referenced.

Where did you get a boost source for your wastegate? Intake Manifold or the compressor housing of the turbo?
Brake booster line...
Old 09-08-2005
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turboengnr

Drag is a possibility but 2 full PSI seems quit excessive for drag through the intercooler.
Old 09-08-2005

Originally Posted by Blahman240
where do you get this manifold?
anyone?
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

02LX is on a distinguished road
so KMS does make Intake manifolds for the D17, when I called up there, I spoke to some old *** woman and they talking about they don't do that
Old 09-18-2005

why is everyone ignoring my question...
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Please dont cry.
Its made by: http://www.honda-performance.com/
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Watch your asses with these guys. I bought valves and springs with no problems but they jerked me around on other stuff. Read My post in transaction feedback.
Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

civicpride is an unknown quantity at this point
i just bought the valves,springs,retainers,intake manifold,cam,head gasket, and the blockguard, i am still waiting on the cam and the manifold. it should be here by the end of the week, i paid $649.00 for the valvetrain and the blockguard, $80.00 for the gasket and $975.00 for the cam and manifold. they were really nice to me.
Old 09-20-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
they were nice to me too at first, but that $80 HG is a nippon leakless $20 gasket that they lied about and told me was custom. The manifolds are ok but for the price mine are way better. The (heavy duty) coating on all my valves burnt off, retainers and springs are still good. Wait till you have a problem. Valerie that works there doesnt know anything and John lied to me several times in the 2 months that they had over 1k of my money. I wish you well, but be carefull.
Old 09-20-2005
Registered!!

i appreciate it, i hope everything works out on it.
Old 09-21-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
got any pics of it installed? I wanted to see how the throttle cable was done
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

no not yet my motor is still out i am waiting on the manifold and the cam before i put it back together.
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

how do u thjink it was done bitch juet like stock, but alluminium