Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

which k20 engine best for swap and then turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evolutionmr is an unknown quantity at this point
which k20 engine best for swap and then turbo

hey all, i just bought out my 2002 civic lx sedan, it was on lease, so no mods, but now that i bought it out, i choose to turn it into my project car, few questions though, i want to do a swap, i really like the dc5 k20a, but i'm worried if i turbo it, then the high compression and turbo will not be too good, the other one i was thinking was a k20a2 from the civic type r, (uk market), if i can find one, anyways, what are your thoughts on this, another reason i want a jdm engine is the lsd i get with it, i know i could get it seperate, but why bother, i'd much rather get the whole package, and also, is it possible to get the dc5 type r gauges in a civic?, god i hope so, if not then what needs to be modified in order for them to fit?

also, suggest any other route that u guys think will be good for a sleeper set-up, umm, also, for exterior i don't know yet, i do want the type b lip kit and projecter headlights with hid, and not sure on what wheels to go with, can't seem to find any that look great on this car

and the one thing i know nothing about is the suspension set-up of the car, i'd like to modify the suspension all i can, what are all the parts out there for the civic, suspension wise, also, please let me know if u know any good websites that has all 7th gen civic parts, thanks again, and look forward to all the responces.
Old 04-27-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
the euro ctr is no different than the usdm k20a2 ... except the red valve cover.

boost is not good for the k20a ... comp is too high.

k20a3 is the best motor for boost imo ... just swap, then swap it with a k20a2 head and you have boost and ivtec with low compression. a lightened, balanced crank would really help out the k20a3 ...
Old 04-27-2005
i like shiny cars

BaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant future
Yes rsx gauges can fit into our civics. I just got the MO for the conversion I was selling. FOr it ur gonna need to mess with the wiring harness.... gonna have to redesign a new bezel and also lift the gauge bout an 1" from where the stock cluster sits. Kazell on this site used to make a conversoin kit which made this whole process plug and play. I dont think he'll make it anymore. Welcome to the site.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

bloodzombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
the euro ctr is no different than the usdm k20a2 ... except the red valve cover.

boost is not good for the k20a ... comp is too high.

k20a3 is the best motor for boost imo ... ..
I agree.
Old 04-27-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
if u guys were to boost a k20a u would changed the pistons to lower the 11.5:1 compression ratio to a lower 9.5:1 compression than it could handle about 25-32 psi on a cybernation stage III kit and u'll be gettin about 512-520 whp...the rsx-s doesnt come with lsd but there is no difference from the CTR and the RSX-S engine other than that...k20A3 has a differned head and you will not see as much power gains as an A/A2 but its cheapest of all just my 2Cents
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Yeah, it really depends on how far you want to go. the A2 with pitstons and a turbo is going to cost you WAY more money.

I've never priced it out, but I bet you could almost get the A3 plus turbo for the price of the A2 swap, and you'd get way more horsepower out of it that way...

But you're right, if money is no object, A2 turbo would be better, but that's just a ridiculous amount of money.
Old 04-27-2005
Desperate Custom Swapper Speed Freak

vtecd17 is an unknown quantity at this point
K20A2 + Turbo=Owns U
Old 04-27-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
if u guys were to boost a k20a u would changed the pistons to lower the 11.5:1 compression ratio to a lower 9.5:1 compression than it could handle about 25-32 psi on a cybernation stage III kit and u'll be gettin about 512-520 whp...the rsx-s doesnt come with lsd but there is no difference from the CTR and the RSX-S engine other than that...k20A3 has a differned head and you will not see as much power gains as an A/A2 but its cheapest of all just my 2Cents
people have traction problems with 250whp ... why go so far as 500whp?

fwd = gay =\
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr

fwd = gay =\
I agree, waste of money. If you're going that far, you should've just gotten an evo or S2000 or something.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted

fwd = gay =\
If u have traction with 250whp, u have issues and really need to learn how to drive. Yes u can easily spin ur tires, but learn to drive ur car, and u wont spin them. get a nice traction bar setup to cut out wheelhop, a super wide set of tires, and a lot of driver skill and u should be fine. My friend has a 680+ hp EF civic running in the 10's.... which is a lot lighter and a lot more power, and yes he can roast the tires when he wants to, but he doesnt have to. u just cant put ur foot on the floor as much.
Old 04-27-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by Vantage
If u have traction with 250whp, u have issues and really need to learn how to drive. Yes u can easily spin ur tires, but learn to drive ur car, and u wont spin them. get a nice traction bar setup to cut out wheelhop, a super wide set of tires, and a lot of driver skill and u should be fine. My friend has a 680+ hp EF civic running in the 10's.... which is a lot lighter and a lot more power, and yes he can roast the tires when he wants to, but he doesnt have to. u just cant put ur foot on the floor as much.
he's not gonna be running "10's" on the street.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted
Before his car ran 10's as a track only car, it ran 11.8 street driven GSR-T in an 89 civic hatch... dyno'd at 389...
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
where can i pick some of that up?
Old 04-27-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Before his car ran 10's as a track only car, it ran 11.8 street driven GSR-T in an 89 civic hatch... dyno'd at 389...
389whp isn't the same as 680 whp. still not the same as the speculated 500+ whp that was suggested by turbo'ing a k20a ...

even at that ... 1.8 vs. 2.0L ... less tq = more traction afaik
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

evolutionmr is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, this is soo great, but damm i am soo comfused as to what to do now, no idea, how to slove my problem, how much would changing the pistons on a k20a cost?, and then if i have a lower compression, then will it still rev to 8,600?, also, does the cybernation stage 2 fit into our engine bay?, thanks for all the great info guys, but gotta help me out more, i'm just as confused, if not even more
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

PiRaTeKiNg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: which k20 engine best for swap and then turbo

Hey I was wondering if I should put a k20a2 engine into my civic 01 EX coupe? Do you think it would be a good swap? Now this car is gonna be a daily driver but also I wanna dabble a bit in street racing.
Old 07-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Street racing kills innocent people in accidents frequently, find another forum if that interests you, because street racers are not welcome here.
Old 08-01-2011
Registered!!

PiRaTeKiNg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

okay then, how about performance wise?