Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

How many running the relay for SF fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahtasham is an unknown quantity at this point
How many running the relay for SF fuel system?

Hi guys. Since I am really close to installing the SF kit (just waiting on the last box to get released from the customs ) I am making sure that I have got everything covered.

For now I was wondering on the fuel system, thinking if I should:

1) Use the relay that would turn on the pump upon boost?
2) Use an on/off switch from inside the car instead of the relay?
3) Hook the pump directly so it will stay on all the time?

What do you guys suggest and what setup do you have?

Thankx!
Old 09-26-2004
Registered!!

Civic Type S is an unknown quantity at this point
even though I have had the relay on my turbo kit for a year, I want to know the same ?, my pump lately, when my car idles for about 1 minute the pump starts to get really loud, gow can this be fixed, it sounds horrible
Old 09-26-2004
Jam out with your clam out.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
i heard the SF fuel system is always loud. thats normal i think
Old 09-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not tap into the main relay wire, that way when you prine the system(turning the car on)the fuel pump turns on the same time as the stock pump.
Old 09-26-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy a NOS pressure sensor and set it at 1psi of vacume. That way at idle and off boost the pump does not get worn out pumping every second the car is on. If you take a long trip and on cruise control wh have the damn pump just buzzing behind you glove box. Open your glove box next time you are driving. You can here it clearly.
Old 09-26-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Well, i am on my 3rd pump right now and i was on my 2nd relay.

This past pump i blew, i went out and bought a toggle switch and a 30 amp in-line fuse. This way, if i am warming my car up or at a long red light i can shut my pump off.
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm using the relay, just hope it and the pump last another few months before i go return style
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by guns
Buy a NOS pressure sensor and set it at 1psi of vacume. That way at idle and off boost the pump does not get worn out pumping every second the car is on. If you take a long trip and on cruise control wh have the damn pump just buzzing behind you glove box. Open your glove box next time you are driving. You can here it clearly.
The NOS pressure sensor and the relay seems to serve the same function though ..... or is it not? Probably the NOS sensor might work better ..... I really dont know

The relay is there to turn on the pump when it senses boost, right? How many of you have had actual problems with the relay so far?
Old 09-27-2004

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
^lol, guns knows his ****. If he says it'll work, it'd take his word for it.
Old 09-27-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ahtasham
The relay is there to turn on the pump when it senses boost, right? How many of you have had actual problems with the relay so far?

that is correct............but i did have one relay take a **** on me when i was boosting 9psi. Thank god i had a spare.
Old 09-27-2004
Skyline R33

can some one explain the relay. I dont have one. I have a NOS pressure switch that turns on at a set psi/vacume. How does the relay know there is boost. I have heard of hooking methanol to the vtec light. When the car hits vtec it sprays. But our cars engage too low for that. But it would be a good switch for the pump.

Just ideas and questions. I am learning as I go. My next project is learning how to Pnp a head. I bought mine and think could have done just as good or better.
Old 09-27-2004
Premium Member

can some one explain the relay. I dont have one. I have a NOS pressure switch that turns on at a set psi/vacume. How does the relay know there is boost. I have heard of hooking methanol to the vtec light. When the car hits vtec it sprays. But our cars engage too low for that. But it would be a good switch for the pump.

Just ideas and questions. I am learning as I go. My next project is learning how to Pnp a head. I bought mine and think could have done just as good or better.

the relay does not sense boost. The relay just turns the pump on when the ignition is turned over. The fmu senses boost and will adjust for the increased fuel pressure.

If you notice on the SF fuel system, there is a aluminum tube that runs from the "In" to the "Out".........this is a bypass. The bypass will allow fuel to go to the rail when not in boost and also if the booster pump breaks.

As far as running methanol when vtec is engaged is completely unnecessary. The stock ECU is programmed to supply the proper amount of fuel when vtec is engaged. Besides, any obd II car will supply enough fuel for a 35 shot of n2o.

As far as porting your head, it really isn't that hard. You just need the proper tools and some knowledge of what you are doing.

Here is a link for some info.

http://racingknowledge.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1497
Old 09-27-2004
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Buy a NOS pressure sensor and set it at 1psi of vacume. That way at idle and off boost the pump does not get worn out pumping every second the car is on.
I like that idea.. where could you pick one up? does it have to be a NOS sensor, or would a place like AutoZone have a pressure sensor that could be set to sense vacuum?

also, I think I recall reading that having the pump turn on and off frequently could wear it out faster.. is this true?
Old 09-27-2004
Skyline R33

Originally Posted by civic01vtec
the relay does not sense boost. The relay just turns the pump on when the ignition is turned over. The fmu senses boost and will adjust for the increased fuel pressure.

If you notice on the SF fuel system, there is a aluminum tube that runs from the "In" to the "Out".........this is a bypass. The bypass will allow fuel to go to the rail when not in boost and also if the booster pump breaks.

As far as running methanol when vtec is engaged is completely unnecessary. The stock ECU is programmed to supply the proper amount of fuel when vtec is engaged. Besides, any obd II car will supply enough fuel for a 35 shot of n2o.

As far as porting your head, it really isn't that hard. You just need the proper tools and some knowledge of what you are doing.

Here is a link for some info.

http://racingknowledge.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1497
Cool thanks. A friend is going to show me how. He has an air compressor and the tools. I just need to be the supplies to do the work. I have been doing research. What do you think of Spilit-second.com that is the fuel system the catalyst claims to have made 300whp on stock internals with? Keep the info and opinions coming.
Old 09-28-2004
Registered!!

vector4 is an unknown quantity at this point
on using a pressure sensor to turn the pump on only when its needed. how fast does that pump come up to full pressure. say if you drop the hammer and spool up 7psi the pump needs to come up with 70psi of fuel pressure right quick. I assume it runs up pretty fast but i wonder if there is any delay at all.
Old 09-28-2004

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
^ is my friend who helps with my problems/needs with my car

he knows a lil' something something...btw, he's running 13.0 in his SRT4 with just $1500 MAX in mods...I know there is a thread on this (SRT4's) in the track/speed/strip section...
Old 09-28-2004
Registered!!

Wait a sec, you got me all confused again. If the relay only turns on the fuel pump when you turn on the car, this would mean the pump stays on all the time whether or not the car is under boost? am I right? This would mean that you would hear the humming kinda sound from the pump all the time ???
Old 09-28-2004
Premium Member

Wait a sec, you got me all confused again. If the relay only turns on the fuel pump when you turn on the car, this would mean the pump stays on all the time whether or not the car is under boost? am I right? This would mean that you would hear the humming kinda sound from the pump all the time ???

ding ding ding....we have a winner ....tell him what he has won bob

a ice cold
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

ding ding ding....we have a winner ....tell him what he has won bob

a ice cold
ahhhh, I thought the relay would turn on the pump ONLY under boost. Guess I was wrong. So why not have an on/off switch instead ??? At least that way the annoying sound of the pump wont be there when driving in traffic where no boost is required ..... what do you think?
Old 09-29-2004
Premium Member

ahhhh, I thought the relay would turn on the pump ONLY under boost. Guess I was wrong. So why not have an on/off switch instead ??? At least that way the annoying sound of the pump wont be there when driving in traffic where no boost is required ..... what do you think?

ding ding ding............we have a winner again.......damn, u are good at this game

I ran the power wire from the left red screw in the fuse box and installed a toggle switch near my cig lighter. I also installed a 30 amp in-line fuse too.

If i am letting my car warm up/cool down or am sitting in traffic, i just shut the damn thing off.
Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

Wonder if there is any downside to it (turing the pump on and off). A friend of mine has done this to his boosted 6th gen and when he turns the pump off the car acts as if its getting less fuel but then in a few mins it gets back to normal.