Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Major Heat

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Major Heat

Ok, I did some occasional beat runs today after a new air filter being installed, and relocated. It did make a nice difference btw lol...

Anyway... After tooling on the highway, I turn off and start driving nice and slow. Doing 35 in 5th gear. I look down after driving like this for about 5 min... I notice the thermosat a lil high. All of a sudden I see it start climbing... I kill the engine and pull off the road... I pop the hood... My collant resevoir tank (small plastic tank up front) had BOILING coolant in it. I also had coolant sprayed all over my engine... I'm guessing due to the pressure leaking out the cap.

What the hell would randomly cause this? I never had heating issues b4... but I have noticed occasional coolant residue throught that area of the engine bay.

Just curious if any one has had this issue yet. Luckily after keeping the engine off for about 5 min the temp dropped and I haven't had a prob since.

I'm flushing it all tomorrow. My guess is that I have a bad thermostat on the radiator...
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

hondacivicd17 is an unknown quantity at this point
thermostat can cause overheating, if you have noticed coolant you may have a leak in a line. I would have it flushed and smoke tested!
Old 03-16-2004
Premium Boosted Member

yeah i def done have a leak, you can see that it is coming out of the cap up top.

that and everytime i work on the engine i check my fuel, oil, and collant lines, never saw any residue anywhere.
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

oh ok well then it sounds like a few dollar thermostat should fix it. You also just to be on the safe side want to check your oil and make sure there isnt any coolant in the oil.
Old 03-16-2004
Premium Boosted Member

sounds like a plan. thanks bro, i just need some confirmation/reassurance cuz i'm a lil **** about my car haha...

After this minor bug is solved, I'll crank this thing to 10psi on my t04. Hopfully I can put down some decent numbers. .
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

hell yeah dude, looking forward to seeing how it runs. good luck i dont think it sounds too serious
Old 03-16-2004
Premium Boosted Member

i was lookin at your profile to see if u were boosted too... ur only a couple months older than me lol

u planning on boosting or swapping?
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

fuchs is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah man...I would bet money its your thermostat. Mine went bad last week. I changed it out and now it is running good. My car just turned 46K
Old 03-17-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
could be a blown head gasket ;P
Old 03-17-2004
Premium Boosted Member

Originally posted by aznboysrfr
could be a blown head gasket ;P
I know it's not that.
Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

Miami240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can very well be a blown headgasket. It most likely isn't but do not rule it out. This is a problem i am having with my motor right now. You can have some really slight pinging and blow the headgakset just enough to blow compression into the coolant system. Now, if you're thinking "wouldn't i be burning coolant in this case?", no. A leak can be small enough to leak gases but not liquid. In this case, your compression readings most likely won't show it because there isn't the extreme compression during your test like there is while in boost. My car will start to overheat once i start to put load and go into boost. I pulled out my thermostat and it doesn't do it anymore. Reason for this is because air trapped in your coolant system will get trapped by the thermostat and cause it not to open. Now that i think of it, you guys have metal head gaskets from factory so that may not be the case. If it's not, then just regard this as good information.

Note: I don't have a Civic but when it comes to this, all motors are pretty much the same.
Old 03-17-2004
Premium Boosted Member

u think i should just pull my thermostat or replace it?
Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

I say replace your radiator cap first. If that's not the prob, go ahead and replace the thermostat. If that still doesn't solve it, then take it out completely and if it doesn't over heat anymore, then you know what your problem is.
Old 03-17-2004
Premium Boosted Member

cool thanks bro
Old 03-17-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
thats what i just gone done fixing, i had the EXACT same problem, my remedy for mine was a new radiator and bigger hoses, new thermostat, and stronger than stock clamps

www.crracing.com

they dont have an application for us but then again who does, custom fitted
Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

....or you could have a leak somewhere but i would expect you to see it. Or... your lower radiator hose can be worn out and it is collapsing when the thermostat opens if it doesn't have the metal coil inside but i doubt that because the car is too new. Or... your radiator could be clogged up but once again, damn, your car is too new.

We can go on and on but i'm just throwing the most common problems out in the open. Start with the simplest and most common and work your way down the list checking one by one.
Old 03-17-2004
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Check with your local machine shop and have them do a leakdown test. It doesn't tell you if there is compression in the cylinders, it will tell you if you have any gaps, anywhere. That will at least tell you if it's a head gasket (and it sounds like it to me.) After blowing 4 hgs in a row, I know all about it. So I would start there. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 03-17-2004
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by andyman97
Check with your local machine shop and have them do a leakdown test. It doesn't tell you if there is compression in the cylinders, it will tell you if you have any gaps, anywhere. That will at least tell you if it's a head gasket (and it sounds like it to me.) After blowing 4 hgs in a row, I know all about it. So I would start there. Good luck and let us know what happens.

this is exactly whats happening in my car and i replaced the fan switch, temp sensor. and i still overheats at idle and shoots all the coolant into the reserve tank while driving..

ITS a blown headgasket if u ask me.
Old 03-17-2004
Proud Srt4 owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoostedCivicZex can only hope to improve
Its the head gasket dude, welcome to the club aint the first person to have that happen to you on the boards lol
Old 03-17-2004
OsOBaNNeD

Originally posted by BoostedCivicZex
Its the head gasket dude, welcome to the club aint the first person to have that happen to you on the boards lol
just the first to make a thread-
Old 03-17-2004
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
I've made threads about it before but it was so much rarer then, I didn't get much response, noone knew what was up with it.

Again, do a leakdown test and replace that gasket. It isn't hard at all, just make sure to have the head checked in case it's warped and have it milled if it is.
Old 03-17-2004
OsOBaNNeD

well dude maybe we should make this an affair cause i gotta do mine .. i gotta order the leakless tomorrow-
Old 03-17-2004
Premium Boosted Member

hmm, im a lil to'd now.... i really hope it aint the head gasket, i dont want to keep spending money...

If it's the HG and nothing else is broken... how much would it cost u think for honda to replace it... I'll be busy as hell for the next few weeks and wont have much time to take on a project like that on my own...
Old 03-17-2004
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
They would tax u like crazy for labor and even for the head gasket. Take it to a local shop. yea i might need to get my head gasket change too hopefully not but i had my turbo for the longest now.

Last edited by yourinmyw0rld; 03-17-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2004
Proud Srt4 owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoostedCivicZex can only hope to improve
head gasket, 500 plus..........they rape you on labor.............
Old 03-17-2004
OsOBaNNeD

Originally posted by MadWheel
hmm, im a lil to'd now.... i really hope it aint the head gasket, i dont want to keep spending money...

If it's the HG and nothing else is broken... how much would it cost u think for honda to replace it... I'll be busy as hell for the next few weeks and wont have much time to take on a project like that on my own...

1500- honda- I asked yesterday.

30.00 to buy gasket and DIY-
Old 03-17-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
wow, they charge u that much ?

i will prolly buy one to have on hand for when my HG goes.........well, it will never go, since i still don't have my pipes or ****in fuel system
Old 03-17-2004
Turbo Guru

I'd say a fair guess for replacing the gasket would be right around $800.00. If you are willing to pay for that, you probably shouldn't go near an engine anyways. it's not that hard of a job. I can get the head off inside of 2 hours and back on and running within another 2 hours. It really is not hard at all.
Old 03-17-2004
OsOBaNNeD

Originally posted by andyman97
I'd say a fair guess for replacing the gasket would be right around $800.00. If you are willing to pay for that, you probably shouldn't go near an engine anyways. it's not that hard of a job. I can get the head off inside of 2 hours and back on and running within another 2 hours. It really is not hard at all.
i agree.. its just so damn cold here right now...
Old 03-17-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by civic01vtec
since i still don't have my pipes or ****in fuel system

hahahahaha i have my stuff.....post *****

Quick Reply: Major Heat