Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

The 7thGen Swap FAQ.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheBill is an unknown quantity at this point
You will need to wire in for the rear o2 sensor. Check connector c101 - a good 65% of the wires will need to be moved around to different locations.

It's possible that the swap I did had an odd coolant temp sender, but, if it did not, you will need to swap it out for the cluster to read correctly.

The wiring is a headache, that's for sure.
Old 06-16-2004
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TheBill
You will need to wire in for the rear o2 sensor. Check connector c101 - a good 65% of the wires will need to be moved around to different locations.

It's possible that the swap I did had an odd coolant temp sender, but, if it did not, you will need to swap it out for the cluster to read correctly.

The wiring is a headache, that's for sure.
if you look at hasports website, they say you need to use the Civics engine coolant temp sensor. I did so and it works fine. Everything reads right with the civic cluster.
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

disnikhavikta is an unknown quantity at this point
when u say i need to wire in the rear o2 sensor.. im assuming you mean the o2 sensor in the cat of the rsx k20a?? i really havent looked into the engine harness that much.. if this o2 was part of the k20a originally, why would it need to be wired into the k20a harness?? where was the plug for it originally?? thanks in advance for any answers... the wiring for this doesnt look nearly as hard as the wiring i did for my sr20det into my s14.. i think i can handle it as long as people can give me a quick rundown of what needs to be done..
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

disnikhavikta is an unknown quantity at this point
also, hasport say u can use 94 up gsr axles.. is this true??? i rather use these because i can find them easier.. thanks
Old 06-17-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
i have no idea about the GSR axles, i used the Type S axles i got with my doner car.

Onto the O2 sensor. The secondary O2's harness (one in the cat) is part of the body harness. Therefore the wiring needs to be matched to the Civic's wiring. BrianG from hasport sent me a wiring explination, but he said if you have a Civic Helms shop manual (i don't) you can use that as a reference and wire the secondary O2 the way its wired in a Civic HX. It aparently needs to be wired the way that car has it, makes sense.
Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

wantaturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
i cant find the "k-frame" anywhere. There was one on ebay but i thought i was getting one with the motor but i didnt get that motor and now i cant find the frame. If i go to the salvage yard, could i get just the frame.

oh and another stupid question.... if you get the fram and it monts right in, why do you need hasport's mounts. i think those mounts bolt onto the stock frame but why do you need them? i know its a stupid question, but...
Old 06-22-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by wantaturbo
i cant find the "k-frame" anywhere. There was one on ebay but i thought i was getting one with the motor but i didnt get that motor and now i cant find the frame. If i go to the salvage yard, could i get just the frame.

oh and another stupid question.... if you get the fram and it monts right in, why do you need hasport's mounts. i think those mounts bolt onto the stock frame but why do you need them? i know its a stupid question, but...
if you can't find a k-frame at a yard you can always buy one from Acura.

The hasport mounts are for the driver and passanger side uppers. Sence the d17 is mounted the opisite way of the k20, the motor mounts are designed to mount the k20 in the engine bay the right way.

The rear one that goes on the k-frame is different too because it pulls the motor back (to keep it from hitting the rad support. The front motor mount you need off the k-frame because you use it.

#1 is what you need. Its 530 bucks through acuraautomotiveparts.org

Last edited by Hawk; 06-22-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

cvc2f2f is an unknown quantity at this point
the k frame is also referred to as the sub-frame.... u need hasports motor mounts because you need to bolt the engine to the subframe and to the cars frame.... 4 bolting points.. you can use either the honda civic si 02-04 or the acura rsx.... i got special pricing from honda, so i went with the si.
Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

01civick20nme is an unknown quantity at this point
how much would it be to just save up your money and let some shop do the whole swap
Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

cvc2f2f is an unknown quantity at this point
lots, figure labor is gonna b balpark 1-4 thousand in labor, depending on what u want done what uve got and how you want it done..... + the cost of parts, engine stuff..... front to back, just the basic swap, say $10k to be safe, maybe some change left over... $3-$5k for engine, $2k for labor = $5k-$7k + acura and honda replacement items.... rims, aftermarket stuff, like intake and exhaust....$2k-$3k = 7,000 to 10,000... OBVIOUSLY just estimates..... im already over $18,000 on my swap..... sparco seats, rims, 5 lug conversion, new subs, amps, ps2, pioneer dvd, navi, list is endless............... just my 2cents........
Old 06-23-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by cvc2f2f
$18,000 on my swap..... sparco seats, rims, 5 lug conversion, new subs, amps, ps2, pioneer dvd, navi, list is endless............... just my 2cents........
Hawk paid $7800 bucks for his swap

DIY rules
Old 06-30-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
How would a JDM engine be in terms of reliability in Montreal, Canada? The winter here is pretty harsh. I heard a Civic in California is not the same civic designed for Montreal Canada. A car from California would not react normally in Montreal, because of our air and other weather issues.

Last edited by nindoo; 06-30-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure about canada, but calf. has emissions. I'm not sure how the engine would be. Should be close to the same. If it was me, I would elect for a k20 swaped civic to stay indoors for the winter. I dont have that problem here though, Our winters are in the 60-70's. Only snowed here 2 times in the last 14 years.
Old 06-30-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

i had no problems with my car in the winter...i mean its just a RSX motor. Traction was kinda a problem in the snow though

I don't think the k20a would react differently in cold weather, i mean its snows in japan.
Old 06-30-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
How is the ground clearance with your rsx motor? Is it less than before?
Old 06-30-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by nindoo
How is the ground clearance with your rsx motor? Is it less than before?
didn't change.
Old 06-30-2004
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
okay guys my questions are these. 1. To everyone who has done the k20a2 swap do you have any problems or complaints about the swap, motor, something not working anything? 2. Is it really worth the time and the money for the power you got from the motor and like i/h/e? 3. Do you still have to make a custom a/c line like the list on hasport says and if you do how hard is it? And last do you have to get a 92 p/s reservoir like hasport said if you use the rsx pump and stuff for the p/s? thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-30-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by realitycheck
okay guys my questions are these. 1. To everyone who has done the k20a2 swap do you have any problems or complaints about the swap, motor, something not working anything? 2. Is it really worth the time and the money for the power you got from the motor and like i/h/e? 3. Do you still have to make a custom a/c line like the list on hasport says and if you do how hard is it? And last do you have to get a 92 p/s reservoir like hasport said if you use the rsx pump and stuff for the p/s? thanks for the help guys.
1. I don't have cruise cause i didn't hook it up and AC cause the same. I have no complaints at all as far as the swap goes.

2. I/H/E gain considerably well with the k20, bolt-ons do alot. Add a Hondata ECU flash in there and your looking at close to if not 200whp with the k20a2.

3. I don't know about the AC lines cause like stated before i don't have AC

4. I used a reservoir that i bought from napa in my car. Pictured below.

nindoo: no i haven't seen one, i highly doubt its possible.
Old 06-30-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by realitycheck
The hondata ecu flash how do you get that done? what do you need to send them just the ecu or what? The reservoir i was referring to is the power steering reservoir they said you had to have to get power steering or did you just use the rsx one? And is it hard to add the cruise control? and anyone else no about the a/c
oops missed that thought you meant the coolant resevoir. I used the RSX's just bolted the existing rsx bracket to the rad support.

go to hondatas website to find out what needs to be done www.hondata.com

all i need for cruise is the cable, i forgot to take it out of the rsx.
Old 07-01-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by Anotherslo1
You can't use the RSX cruise cable line because it's to long, unless someone figured a way out since I did my swap. I've had the RSX cruise cable in my car for 2 years now, and trust me, it's to long and won't work. I have had the Civic SI cruise line ($65 from Honda)for a while now, but I have been too lazy to install it. The EP3 cruise line is the only way I heard that will work for our swap. I will be dropping my engine weekend after July 4th for a paint job, so when I put the engine back in, I'll install the SI cruise line. I hope it works....
oh cool thanks for the info, i'll have to pick me up a SI cable. Didn't even look at the RSXs to see if it fit, i completly forgot about cruise when i took out the motor

thanks for the info
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

ok, i finally bought my motor and im going to look into clutches because is still have the stock one. would i need one for an rsx or can i still use an aftermarket civic clutch or is an si clutch better. thanks guys.
Old 07-24-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

What motor did you get? if its a RSX motor get a RSX clutch, if its a SI motor get a SI clutch...at least thats what makes sense to me.
Old 07-29-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
to those who want the brembo brakes:

obviously the dc5-r suspension sticks out further than the type s and our suspension. the dc5r oem rims have an offset of +60. However, if you are able to get some wheels say... for an s2000 (front), you can check them out at tirerack.com ... they have a +48 offset, 7.5 inches wide for a lot of the rims (instead of getting regular civic/rsx rims which typically have an offset of 35-42).

If you check out these rims, they don't look like they stick out very far at all on the dc5r

When I had my turbo, I had SSR Comp's 16x7.5 with a +42 offset ... it stuck out a bit, but nothing that is head-turning. The dc5r suspension is suppose to stick out an inch further, but then +6 cm is about an inch on both sides (48 offset up from 42) ... so it should be ok.

It's a longshot, but it may wrk. You can also always use dc5r rims, but those are very heavy and expensive
Just FYI, the RSX-S has a wider track than the Civic too, the rsx wheels (16x6.5, 45mm offset) are right on the edge of the fenders. If you want to get anything above a 7" even with just the Type S suspension you need a wicked offset on your new wheel. I've yet to find a inexpensive rim with such a ungodly offset besides S2000 rims. I'm getting 16x7 rotas with a 45 offset but they're just for tracking. I'm sure they will stick out though.

Originally Posted by Aohan815
sorry to be a moron but what exaclly is an immobilizer and i jus got new shocks and springs for my car....is it necessary to replace them for rsx parts when i get the swap or is it jus recommended?
If you bought just lowering springs i hate to tell ya but your gonna have to buy new springs. If you bought sleaved springs/coilovers you'd be ok. I had neuspeed sports in my car and when we put the motor in the car sat a good 1/2 inch to inch lower.

The immobilizer is the system that matches your key to your ECU/Car to keep people from steeling it.....its a good thing

Last edited by Hawk; 07-29-2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2004
mig
Registered!!

mig is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone heard more about the K24 mounts for our Civics? I'm thinking a supercharged 24 might be entertaining.
Old 08-05-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

hasport is working on the k24 mounts. Good luck getting that supercharger to work though, brian g from hasport said they might try and get the SI supercharger to fit in a k20 civic, but he said it might not be possible at all.
Old 08-10-2004
mig
Registered!!

mig is an unknown quantity at this point
the mounts are expected to be ready in a couple of weeks. brian g says he's installing the sc now.

It's been projected on another forum that the K24 (non-hybrid) will reach 200 hp in na form with parts that will be available later this year. imagine slapping a supercharger on after that!
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

Hey hawk or anyone else with the swap, did you get the guages in yet? The whole type-s guage cluster? Does it bolt in exactly where the stock one goes (before wiring)?
Old 08-12-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by wantaturbo
Hey hawk or anyone else with the swap, did you get the guages in yet? The whole type-s guage cluster? Does it bolt in exactly where the stock one goes (before wiring)?
haven't even tryed it yet, i want to, just won't get off my *** to do it
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
i've heard of fitament issues regarding that. might want to look into that
Old 08-12-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

oh i'm sure there are, i wasn't thinking it would be a drop in type thing, you can tell by looking at it. But you can get it to work if your willing to cut up your car enough

Quick Reply: The 7thGen Swap FAQ.